14 replies to this topic

#1 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Just wondering how psychedelic-use has permanently changed you. 

People can definitely be a bit out there, and I think I always react with a bit of skepticism. For instance, if I'm at a meditation group and we sit for 30 min and someone starts telling me they had a bunch of intense visuals, I start to wonder if that's them making shit up. Usually I think it is. Visuals definitely do occur during meditation, on occasion. But, my bullshit detector feels the person out and what they're saying fairly quickly, can't help it. 

Haha. Certain people definitely have lying personalities. 

In any case, I have met some people that have expressed some pretty intense perceptual changes. Some of them I'm sure would be hard to live with. But, couldn't really say if it's true or not, as with everything. Haha. 

Mostly just curious. Wanting to see a bit of a sample.

As for perceptual changes on my end. You might say HPPD when it was actually causing me stress. Nowadays, it doesn't cause me stress, so it doesn't qualify as HPPD. Haha. But, I definitely have light tracers and a nice bit of noise. Occasionally, I get bright light visual distortion happening not too far out into peripheral vision that skates around my vision for about 10 min at a time. It hasn't ever settled into the middle of my vision, but it's come close. 

I also think I get body highs more often for usually less of a reason. Mostly tied to the breath. Also, weird sensation changes at the nostrils. This I attribute to psych-use combined with meditation. 

Outside of that things have remained similar. It's sort of funny how seeing things clearly becomes less and less a problem. It bothered the hell out of me at first. It's what I get for using massive doses with basically no experience... stupid stupid in those days. 

Well, that's it. 

Edited by Guy1298, 30 August 2017 - 11:52 PM.

• Skywatcher and niemandgeist like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,668 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

I let the body do what it does and hope I catch myself if I start identifying with it, as it's just my body, not me.   Visuals that come in the periphery?  Look up: ocular migraine.   I get these.   For the first few years of them, I didn't know what it was and worried about a brain tumor or something like that.   As far as flashbacks go, I never got mine.   I always figured I got ripped off, and it was false advertising by the LSD industry.  :-)

• Skywatcher, Guy1298 and tailsmcsnails like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,195 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

I really do not remember what perceptual norms I had prior to any psychedelic usage.

I get peripheral distortion, color enhancement, sound intensification, and time distortion. I can not say this is from past psychedelic usage, or a result of intentional perception alteration and meditation. It seems the norm to me now so I do not find it disruptive, and usually is tied somehow to perceptions I need to see or am being shown.

Either way it is not disturbing and does not seem out of the norm to me................

• Guy1298 likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,668 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

I have to admit that one major change came with my initial LSD experience/s; I first saw something in myself that was not the self image I had held for most of the previous 22 years, the self image that had made me into a driven to drink, alcoholic.    I drank because I did not have any idea who I was except that of how the world seemed to be keeping score on me, an undiagnosed ADHD dyslexic flunky.   I was at some level of self hatred and so, I drank to oblivion, sweet oblivion, quite often. 

The first time I dropped acid, I saw someone in myself that was full of beauty, while still being scared out of my wits by the confusion of the strange place half a purple microdot had me seeing from.   But when I came down, I knew I preferred that new view, from the other end of the spectrum from oblivion.   I did not want to be blacked out any more.   I tried to take acid all the time, not knowing one really can't do that, acid being pretty much self limiting.   But, my eye had opened and a search for Self begun.   It was permanent for many decades, but even this search can't go on forever.   One has eventually to find one's Self, if one is dedicated to the search.

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 September 2017 - 12:03 AM.

• Skywatcher, Guy1298 and sparrow95 like this

#5 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,537 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I see slight motion trails, which are not nearly as pronounced and don't last as long as motion trails when I'm actually tripping, on everything. If insects fly by, even slow-moving butterflies, cars drive by, and so on I see a trail. The trails change in appearance depending on the amount of available light and what's in the background, but they don't negatively interfere with my life at all. When birds fly by on a gray or blue sky I can see after-images spaced throughout the motion trails. It's all quite beautiful, really. Colored autumn leaves falling slowly are also very nice to sit and watch. I can choose to pay attention to these things or just continue with whatever else I'm doing, so it doesn't interrupt or bother me.

I do have image static at night or in a dark room, but it's not very bad. I see more pronounced halos around lights at night.

I'm just glad that it isn't some crazy visual stuff that makes it impossible to drive. I've read a few stories of people who ended up with visual effects that don't go away, can't be controlled, and prevent them from living a normal life.

#6 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

I wonder what perceptual changes have occured from being able to capture photographs.  Once upon a time, visual perception indicated something happening in the present, rather than an image of something that happened in the past.  We have become so accustomed to still pictures and even videos or movies that the time warp no longer alarms us.   And of course, intense visuals also become less shocking as they become more familiar.

Edited by Spooner, 01 September 2017 - 12:03 PM.

• Skywatcher, sparrow95, tailsmcsnails and 1 other like this

#7 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,537 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

I wonder what perceptual changes have occured from being able to capture photographs.  Once upon a time, visual perception indicated something happening in the present, rather than an image of something that happened in the past.  We have become so accustomed to still pictures and even videos or movies that the time warp no longer alarms us.   And of course, intense visuals also become less shocking as they become more familiar.

It may well have had an effect. I remember reading about a study a while ago about how people who grew up with black and white TV, before color TV was a thing, tend to dream in black and white:

http://www.nytimes.c...al.html?mcubz=0

• Guy1298 and Spooner like this

#8 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

I liked the movie "Embrace of the Serpent." It was interesting. The fictional shaman in the film calls pictures of people chullachaqui's. A chullachaqui is actually a forest spirit with backwards legs that lead people to get lost in the jungle. 

Psychedelics have also added detail to my dreams. Feeling and sensations I don't believe I had previous to use. And psychedelics have made death dreams beautiful, if I move into death, it usually moves into a psychedelic happy and pleasurable state after dying.

Edited by Guy1298, 02 September 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,115 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

I am always seeking to expand my perceptions, and they vary by the moment. Intent plays a huge role in this as does previous experience, health, attitude, even the weather........the entire thing is a movie we are creating by gathering information from multiple dimensions (at least inwards and outwards) and probably 90 degrees from both of those........at least.

The most important perceptual change I have derived from psychedelics is proving the stories and laws about them absolutely incorrect (it's a huge change in waking consciousness)............the changes in my perception of the waking consensus world are irreversible as a result. With these new (well they're not so new) filters I have developed a different worldview that I would have otherwise..........for better or worse..........

Damn good question......

A

• Guy1298 likes this

#10 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,519 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

The use of psychadelics has changed my perception.....permanently. I can no longer focus on the small picture, all I see is the big picture.  Sometimes I wish I could go back and be re-inserted into the matrix, so I could enjoy that big juicy steak....

• Guy1298 likes this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,668 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

I have just been introduced to David R. Hawkins, who has some interesting things to say about perception.

The Buddha said there is nothing to judge because perception can only see illusion.

Perception is always partial and limited by an arbitrary context.

In truth, no judgment is possible.
~D.R.H.

• Guy1298 and DonShadow like this

#12 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 464 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Was thinking just a bit ago that I often think of life as a trap... But, then I started to consider that that which sees life as a trap is a part of the supposed trap. Haha. Then, I stopped caring. :).

Edited by Guy1298, 04 September 2017 - 08:51 PM.

• Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,668 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

It's not that you don't care.  It's more that you don't mind.

~Mooji

• Guy1298 and Spooner like this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,115 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Paradox viewing itself and not...........a matter of perspective that can only convince itself of itself....................

I love the illusions of my make believe mushroom friends............

Childhood was when we had a much wider view that was not limited by the delusion of some reality or responsibilities.........

In truth?............ What is that?

A

#15 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

I have found the ability to recognize patterns at every level of magnification to be the most profound and lingering effect of prolonged psilocybin use. I feel confident that there is a latent sensory apparatus present in the human brain which requires pharmacological stimulation or initiation in order to manifest. Psilocybin is Eurydice to Orpheus' blunder into techno-adultery.

Edited by DonShadow, 13 September 2017 - 08:23 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!