Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Why Do People Believe in Conspiracy Theories & How America Lost its Mind? Two articles.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Vaccines have been linked to laws making their affects immune from legal liability. 

Why does the Wall Street Journal believe in such conspiracy theories? 

Vaccine Makers Enjoy Immunity

Edited by Alder Logs, 08 September 2017 - 02:29 PM.

• shoomer likes this

#22 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

These are great articles Cats & Bats Thank you for posting them.   

Other than that i would just point a big finger to public school education at the moment as it would seem a generation never learned that the nazi brown shirts WERE a symbol of loyalty to fascist regimes and not an aggressive stance against it. .... But reality, is all inside out at this time. I get that so i don't expect much.

With that said i will go and do my thing today, i don't need suspended from a third site now.  I was just here for love of fungus anyway.

Take care

• Juthro, CatsAndBats and Cuboid like this

#23 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

brown shirts were to hitler as antifa is to soros.  That's why they are compared.  Not because they fight for fascism.  They fight for/against whatever they are getting paid by soros to fight for/against. 

er... at least, until he doesn't pay

https://twitter.com/...741130040623106

hahaha

sad.

Edited by morvis, 08 September 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Well it warms my being to know that you personally investigated all of these above issues and have listed your findings.

Well let's check it out. (and you don't have to be passive aggressively shitty about it by the way)

Contrails are just vapor.

Bigfoot does not exist.

The earth is round.

Vaccinations do not cause autism.

Climate science is real.

Etcetera etcetera etcetera..

One does not need to be Sherlock Holmes to

• pass 6th grade physical science, (contrails)
  • to realize that if there were a bigfoot species that a carcass would probably show up (like giant squid)
  • ride a plane or send a go-pro attached to a weather balloon into the stratosphere (or youtube it)
  • to know that, just as one of many examples, that Jonas Salk effectively cured polio with vaccines 
  • to understand a greenhouse ....

Edited by CatsAndBats, 08 September 2017 - 05:17 PM.

• Arathu and tailsmcsnails like this

#25 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

1:  Not all things that spray from planes are vapor crystals

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=947

2: the existence of bigfoot is inconsequential

3: wide angle 'fisheye' lenses on those cameras.  If the horizon point moves up above the centerline of those cameras, it appears to curve upward.

you cannot see any discernible 'curvature' in this.  Funny tho how you can find others at much lower altitude that appears to have quite a bit.  That's the lens, not the land.

[Direct Link]

4:  Sure, there are some good vaccines.  All that vaccine stuff, I never got really into either way.  I will tell you that I used to get the flu every year - a few days after I got a flu shot. 

I haven't taken a flu shot in 10 years or so, and I haven't had the flu since I stopped.   Take that however you like, I don't care.

5:  Climate science -  yea, the temperature goes up in the summer and down in the winter.  That's climate, that's since, that is real.  I'm not even sure why that one was listed.

So, this ... etcetera part.. does that include 'the government is not in bed with big pharma and does not have common interests in keeping cannabis illegal', 'kennedy did not shut down a conspiracy proposed by the government to attack our homeland and blame it on cuba to start a war', and 'the boston tea party was an act of terrorism'?

just curious. =)

Edited by morvis, 08 September 2017 - 05:47 PM.

• shoomer and MsBehavin420 like this

#26 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

5:  Climate science -  yea, the temperature goes up in the summer and down in the winter.  That's climate, that's since, that is real.  I'm not even sure why that one was listed.

It is important to distinguish between "Climate" and "Weather".  Summer/Winter and year to year fluxuations are more precisely called weather variations, while greater trends such as Ice Ages are classified as climate changes.   Measuring climate to a fraction of a degree is beyond my understanding, however changes in migratory times and patterns do seem to indicate changes in more general climate trends over decades.

• whirledpeas likes this

#27 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

Right point is it changes and I'm not sure many people dispute that climate has a science, as simply tracking temperatures over a few decades establishes climate science.  What is disputed is humans ability to actually effect it and "most scientists agree" and "the consensus holds" is not science, it's opinion en masse, and climate models are constantly failing.

I personally think that humans know like 10% or less of whats *actually* going on with reality, despite how much humans think other humans know.

Most is unverifiable by any other than the religions high priests that claim they have.  sounds familiar, eh.

g'nite good sirs.

Edited by morvis, 08 September 2017 - 08:58 PM.

• Coopdog and shoomer like this

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

3: wide angle 'fisheye' lenses on those cameras.  If the horizon point moves up above the centerline of those cameras, it appears to curve upward.

you cannot see any discernible 'curvature' in this.  Funny tho how you can find others at much lower altitude that appears to have quite a bit.  That's the lens, not the land.

[Direct Link]

4:  Sure, there are some good vaccines.  All that vaccine stuff, I never got really into either way.  I will tell you that I used to get the flu every year - a few days after I got a flu shot. 

I haven't taken a flu shot in 10 years or so, and I haven't had the flu since I stopped.   Take that however you like, I don't care.

So, this ... etcetera part.. does that include 'the government is not in bed with big pharma and does not have common interests in keeping cannabis illegal', 'kennedy did not shut down a conspiracy proposed by the government to attack our homeland and blame it on cuba to start a war', and 'the boston tea party was an act of terrorism'?

just curious. =)

Wait, so your position is that the Earth is flat?

The et cetera comment was a nod to Yule Brenner in "the king and I":

[Direct Link]

• Spooner likes this

#29 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

[Direct Link]

just curious. =)

Wait, so your position is that the Earth is flat?

The et cetera comment was a nod to Yule Brenner in "the king and I":

[Direct Link]

No wonder it zoomed over my head like the midday sun, I've never seen that movie.  I have no official position on the shape/size of the ground on which we wander.  My point of view is simply 'Not everything is as they appear, even to the clergymen of scientism.'  That paired with the fact that governments of the world arent exactly known to operate 100% with the interest of the people in mind.  People in those positions are about power and do what they must/can to keep it.  Government's are universally known to fuck shit up and lie to save face.    And I don't think that is limited to matters only within the first few hundred thousand feet or so from sea level.

#30 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

Government's are universally known to fuck shit up and lie to save face.

It's true, and that fact does muddy the waters.  There are events backed up by a lot of evidence that fit the first article's formula like a glove: "(1) a group (2) acting in secret (3) to alter institutions, usurp power, hide truth, or gain utility (4) at the expense of the common good."

Just yesterday I read about a prosecutor who got into an alcohol-related car crash.  A police lieutenant and a couple of patrol officers helped him cover it up using telephone lines they thought were non-recorded.  That's just a small example that fits.  The problem is when people apply that formula to bad evidence or draw conclusions from patterns that don't warrant those conclusions.

Do pharmaceutical companies cover up the results of research (or just fail to research something) at the expense of the common good?  We know they do, because the story of the link between cigarettes and cancer is well-documented.  Are pharmaceutical companies covering up a link between vaccinations and autism?  Well, that idea has certainly been dragged into the light, but I sure haven't seen any credible evidence to support it.

Conspiracy theories seem to require you to read between the lines exclusively, or draw inferences using great leaps of logic.  There never seems to be any direct evidence (but of course!  It's because there's a cover up!)  That's not to say that we shouldn't root out true conspiracy where it exists, but if you still believe in the Loch Ness monster, you should think about what "credible evidence" means.

Just for fun: I know that the earth is round just because of the implications of flat earth.  It would have to be the biggest conspiracy in history.  Just ludicrously large.  Such a massive portion of the human population would have to be in on it.  Besides the moon landing, every picture of the earth from space would have to be fake.  Every launch of a satellite in orbit would have to be fake.  The entire history and the entire science of astronomy would have to be contrived, passed down through the generations, and put in to our text books.  I could go on and on.

I live a few doors down from a flat-earther.  Never thought I'd actually meet someone who believes it.  She's nice...

Edited by Sidestreet, 14 September 2017 - 05:17 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#31 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

The entire history and the entire science of astronomy would have to be contrived, passed down through the generations, and put in to our text books.  I could go on and on.

I live a few doors down from a flat-earther.  Never thought I'd actually meet someone who believes it.  She's nice...

Funny, I've experienced people say the same thing  and then turn around and make the same claims of the Bible  (it was all contrived, passed through the generations, and turned to text, just to control humanity).

Personally, I think the 'globe/"flat" earth' thing is a false dichotomy.  It doesn't  have to be either a ball or a pancake.  Reality is strange and I don't think humanity has as much figured out as they scientism clergymen claim.

#32 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

I've experienced people say the same thing  and then turn around and make the same claims of the Bible  (it was all contrived, passed through the generations, and turned to text, just to control humanity).

It was ;)  

The bible is just one book.  Just about the sole piece of evidence for the stories contained in it.  The story of a roughly globular Earth has immeasurably more going for it.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#33 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,166 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:08 AM

My own mother was a "gaslighter."  If you don't know what that means, look it up.

Having this experience in my past, I can see more ably than the average person when what would otherwise be a trusted authority figure is doing something subtle but nonetheless sinister and manipulative.

These kinds of articles are trying to explain the belief in conspiracies as merely mental traps that people occasionally fall into without the sense to get themselves out of.  This explanation conveniently ignores evidence, and rather than ADDRESSING THAT EVIDENCE DIRECTLY, they go into psychological explanations for why people's trust in authority is eroding - AS IF THE PEOPLE IN POSITIONS OF AUTHORITY WERE NOTHING LESS THAN SAINTS AND ANGELS and incapable of being guilty of what the "conspiracy theorists" are accusing them of.

It's a human being manning that post, that office, that position of "leadership."  You bet your ass they make mistakes, lie, cheat and steal.  They often have their heads up their asses, they're greedy, they're sometimes control freaks, and they too often lie to your face just to get what they want.  To draw attention to that fact doesn't make you crazy any more than it makes them less of a criminal.  The attempt to divert attention from themselves toward their accusers is an ancient tactic, unfortunately also sometimes effective.

An example most of us are familiar with recently:

I would say I'm generally a democrat, and am totally the type to vote for what she claims to be representing, but I see right through Hillary's lying, cheating face.  God! she reminds me of my mother.  So fake I want to vomit.  And so pathetically sad that so many good-meaning people can't see the devil behind that mask, and fall for it hook, line, and sinker.  I'm so glad that witch never made it into office.  Keep in mind that though I have said nothing yet of Trump this doesn't mean I like that guy either.  I just hate him less.

Edited by darci, 20 September 2017 - 02:13 AM.

• Coopdog and shoomer like this

#34 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

My own mother was a "gaslighter."  If you don't know what that means, look it up.

My "Female Unit" was *Dx* NPD ... so Hillary was your typical rather slimy Washingtonion, and I sincerely hope Trumpet is a 1 term president and hope he doesnt burn the (white)house down...

• whirledpeas likes this

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

It's usually a bad idea to chase me into the mountains or forest unless of course you have a sleeping bag and a case of Hofbrau...............just sayin. For the most part I will not allocate my finite resources to conspiracies....I find meditations on runes much more to my own advantages and development. I assume anyone that expresses the desire to be the "leader" has very poor intentions from the outset and leave disproving my assumptions to them through action..............my views of corporate and their agenda's are even lower.........fifty one years has painted a fairly clear picture regardless of it's "correctness".

I told the folks that I voted for in the past fiasco (it was neither red nor blue) that I did not trust them..............you'll have to earn that.............

Does that make me a cynic? Hahahahahahaha :chucks:

A

Edited by Arathu, 20 September 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#36 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Heavy read, straight or altered. I read this thread under both conditions, causing massive paranoia.
  • coorsmikey and Coopdog like this

#37 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Contrails are just vapor.

[Direct Link]

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

[Direct Link]

Let's not forget the time Bigfoot kidnapped the Beastie Boys
  • coorsmikey likes this

#39 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

@Adler and anyone else who would prefer to listen as opposed to read on the subject:

https://www.theatlan...ts-mind/536532/

#40 Windwalker

Windwalker

Witchking

• Free Member
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

Those were Great articles. Took a long time to read but I enjoyed both of em. Those writers very eloquently put things I have believed for years. America has become a crazy place, no doubt about it. Look at Scientology, talk about delusional!

Edited by Windwalker, 26 September 2017 - 08:45 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!