Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Why Do People Believe in Conspiracy Theories & How America Lost its Mind? Two articles.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

I always get a chuckle out of the use of the most ridiculous (sometimes only created in that very moment, in fact) examples of "conspiracies" in order to paint the whole concept as a pejorative.

There's Conspiracy Theories and then there's "conspiracy theories." 

Sadly, in the era of alternative facts, they're melding into one.  The 9/11 truthers I thought were odd but maybe on-to something a decade ago are now flat-earthers and chem-trail believers, and it's unfortunate to say, but - yes - all of them. 

I'm not entirely sure what happened in this last election cycle, but it polarized people in ways we're only starting to see.  Belief rules, common sense or facts be damned.

(the only one I made up was about the Stones, but you KNOW it's gotta be true....)

:)

soliver

• Spooner likes this

#62 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:32 AM

I appreciate that you qualified the difference. Interestingly, on the other side (taking for granted there is only two sides, which there isn't) the conspiracy-deniers (I'm running to the trademark office as I type) are often some of the most lazy thinking, dogmatic, dismissive people I come across and they use the "conspiracy" label in order to avoid any critical study.

Incidentally it's not true that all those who scoff at the official 9/11 narrative (which btw, is a conspiracy theory - albeit a ridiculous one) believe the earth is flat.

Edited by August West, 23 December 2017 - 12:35 AM.

• Spooner likes this

#63 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

I'm not entirely sure what happened in this last election cycle, but it polarized people in ways we're only starting to see.  Belief rules, common sense or facts be damned.

Facts have been demoted, so any crackpot idea becomes equally valid as long as you Believe it.  

There is no objective reality, only our feelings and beliefs are real.

That type of wishy-washy thinking is used by the psychotic to manipulate and control the gullible.

• Soliver likes this

#64 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:09 AM

Facts have been demoted, so any crackpot idea becomes equally valid as long as you Believe it.  

There is no objective reality, only our feelings and beliefs are real.

I'm not sure that this sort of thinking doesn't fit comfortably here at mycotopia - doesn't seem to be too far of a stretch to connect that paradigm to a great many threads here...

• Coopdog and sedaeng like this

#65 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,043 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

What's real?  What we think is real?  Isn't that just about the best any of us can do?  

I am, therefore I think.    I think that nothing is as I think.    It seems to be what it is, whatever anyone thinks.  

What is perspective?    How do you like mine?   I wonder about yours.   It's the best I can do.

Would someone please tell me the Tao?   

Pissin' into the wind.

Ain't it fun? 

We do the best we can with the tools we have.   No blame in that.

• MsBehavin420 likes this

#66 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,043 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Most of us are in on it.

[Direct Link]

#67 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

I always get a chuckle out of the use of the most ridiculous (sometimes only created in that very moment, in fact) examples of "conspiracies" in order to paint the whole concept as a pejorative.

It reminds me of something I read with regards to the Kennedy assassination: "there are two types of people regarding the assassination - those who believe the official story and those that have studied the evidence".

[Direct Link]

That kinda bothers me as well.  I think its pretty obvious JFK was some sort of conspiracy.  What exactly that was is anyone's guess.  Flat Earth is a good example to use as its obvious to most people its lunatic fringe.  And yet there is no conspiracy theory so crazy someone isn't gonna believe.  The truth as with many things is probably somewhere in the middle.

#68 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

I'm not sure that this sort of thinking doesn't fit comfortably here at mycotopia - doesn't seem to be too far of a stretch to connect that paradigm to a great many threads here...

I can't follow the grammar in this post .. too many double-double negs followed by hyperbole ... are you saying this DOES fit or DOESN'T fit? 

Either way, opinions are like epiglottises ... everyone has one - back on point - why do people believe in conspiracy theories?

Bottom line:

Because they WANT TO. 

Some folks want to believe in the great bearded man in the sky who will make it all better and not overburden us unless we can take it (except for cancer and a variety of other terminal "burdens")... others will look to the heavens and see chemtrails laid down by the government for weather control.

What they have in common is that we'll never know, which brings us back to that itchy "belief" thing, which is what it is. 

Peeps hear and believe what they want to - our inherent attraction to drama makes both religion and unproven theories attractive.  Go figure.  Humanity.

soliver

#69 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,043 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

No dude, the man with the beard is at the north pole.   Sheesh!

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, shoomer and 1 other like this

#70 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

I can't follow the grammar in this post .. too many double-double negs followed by hyperbole ... are you saying this DOES fit or DOESN'T fit? 

Either way, opinions are like epiglottises ... everyone has one - back on point - why do people believe in conspiracy theories?

Bottom line:

Because they WANT TO. 

Some folks want to believe in the great bearded man in the sky who will make it all better and not overburden us unless we can take it (except for cancer and a variety of other terminal "burdens")... others will look to the heavens and see chemtrails laid down by the government for weather control.

What they have in common is that we'll never know, which brings us back to that itchy "belief" thing, which is what it is. 

Peeps hear and believe what they want to - our inherent attraction to drama makes both religion and unproven theories attractive.  Go figure.  Humanity.

soliver

Yea, could have been a little clearer (alcohol is no foundation for constructing clear sentences) but it actually means what it says. There's no "double-double negs" and, unless you're working from a different definition of hyperbole, none of that either. The point is that it's interesting to see a concern for "belief" being the basis for understanding reality when a good many threads at this very website are founded in the idea that essentially, reality is what you believe it to be. There's no shortage of solipsism in these parts. 

Back to the point indeed. It's sort of a big circular argument being made. You know like: why don't some people believe in conspiracy theories? Bottom line: because they don't want to. It's not a very sophisticated or compelling answer. But, as you said, epiglottises. 

• Soliver likes this

#71 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,761 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

I also could not wade through the second article and they lost me at half of us and thirds of us as those figures are probably in someones head and not anything close to reality based on what they were related to in the article.

The first article I do have some comments on however. In the list of conspiracies were thrown in a half a dozen well researched and documentable probable truths, and the rest were things cited by places like the Huffington Post and Weekly world news with no basis in reality. The Towers... that is a truly fucked up thing to start digging in to. Those towers did not fall in the way they said they did, and even if they somehow miraculously collapsed into their own footprint, then explain building 7 to me and the incredible fallacy of the Pentagon? That whole story stinks to high heaven. Look up the insurance payments as a good place to start.

The Birther thing too, has one hell of a lot to back it up. He himself claimed it himself multiple times on camera and used his foreign status to gain financing for his college. That's enough to sustain that "conspiracy"

Oh and there is most definitely a bigfoot. I personally had an experience with that back in 2013 or so, and I was not impaired in any way whatsoever. Not a theory, not a bear, not a hallucination. Most definitely real and big and organic in nature. :)

A lot of conspiracy theories are out there as cover for the real covert CIA crap that has been committed on this country and others. Those completely ridiculous ones cast shadow on the ones they don't want people digging in to too deeply. Our government has most certainly imported and sold drugs in our inner cities and it is well documented. I also talked with a guy who had just returned from Afghanistan and was totally disgusted with our government as he had spent his time over there mostly guarding poppy fields from being destroyed.

There is plenty of deep and disturbing shit to find when you start doing serious research. I had to give it up as it was really making me soul sick. I KNOW it's a fucked up mess, and I KNOW the big banks and big pharma and Military Industrial complex run this world, and I think our President is aware of only a portion of it and the rest is done without his consent or awareness. Look what happened to Kennedy. Oh wait that's just another conspiracy theory...

Peace...

Edited by Coopdog, 23 December 2017 - 05:23 PM.

• Soliver, Alder Logs, shoomer and 2 others like this

#72 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,761 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Oysterfarmer, people like you are why I honestly did not believe in bigfoot, despite seeing some incredibly improbable footprints in a place that would be nearly impossible for a human to traverse a few years prior. I did NOT believe, so when I seen it I was literally rocked to the core. Nowadays I too scour the internet for bigfoot content, although not for the same reason as you.

Honestly after reading a few pages of this thread I am sorry I participated at all. There are so many who think they know it all, when none of us know anything at all, it's astounding, and the name calling and mocking is beneath the level of integrity I am used to seeing on this site. Maybe that is why I don't post here as much as I used to.

SMH

Edited by Coopdog, 23 December 2017 - 06:00 PM.

• Alder Logs and MsBehavin420 like this

#73 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Would someone please tell me the Tao?   

​(or for narrow nosed foreign devil submariners ... Tao​)

• Myc and Alder Logs like this

#74 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,043 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, it definitely loses something in the translation.

• Spooner likes this

#75 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

Maybe that is why I don't post here as much as I used to.

My old man always said, "Never talk sex, politics, or religion at a party." 

Conspiracy theories encompass 2 of those 3 ... maybe 3 if you have a serious bigfoot fetish (?)

And my old man always broke several of those every time we left the house ... that said, you can't enter a discussion of these topics if you aren't prepared to be "triggered" by opposing viewpoints - that's the nature and essence of a lively discourse.

If you wanna chew the fat about Bigfoot, 9.11, JFK, CIA crack-deals, or O-Bama being a foreign Muslim implant ... then I guess this is the place to discuss (hence the title of the thread) - why you believe these things (which I am not saying are true or untrue) .. but ... WHY do you believe these things? 

Did you wake up one morning with an epiphany - "Barack O-Bama is an A-Rab!"  or did you find this data online?

Hell, if I'd found bigfoot prints, I'd take a freakin' picture of that shit.  Let's see it! 

I wanna believe.  Convince me.

But if you're looking for an echo chamber in lieu of lively debate?   Can't help you there.  All ideas welcome (even if some may be triggered by opposing viewpoints).

soliver

#76 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

[Direct Link]

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#77 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:34 PM

Back to the point indeed. It's sort of a big circular argument being made. You know like: why don't some people believe in conspiracy theories? Bottom line: because they don't want to. It's not a very sophisticated or compelling answer. But, as you said, epiglottises. 

Truth.  I'm inclined to delve into the grammatical aspect of your previous (drunken by your own admission) post, but I'm trying really, really hard not to go there, as it's what I do all fucking day anyway (this is me relaxing).

It is a circular argument, but there's also the fringe element involved - why do a small portion of the media-consuming public WANT to believe stories that are diametrically opposite from "mainstream?" 

When I'm stopped up, I take a sudafed.  Me not wanting to believe that the government is spraying toxins all over the place doesn't get in the way of me addressing the situation at hand.  I also don't want to believe that there are evil spirits inside my sinuses, causing me to be stopped up .. me not wanting to believe either of these things doesn't make either of them more true or valid - I could list thousands of things I don't want to believe.

Me wanting to believe repeatable and repeated scientific studies is .. well ... normal.  Me not wanting to believe that Horus the dog-faced demi-god is fucking my nose in my sleep is also normal.

I'm a big fan of not-believing things that have little scientific backing (a youtube video is not scientific backing).

soliver

• ducatidave likes this

#78 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

NETFLIX Video About MK ULTRA

C'mon, man - MK Ultra is sooooo last millennium.  The fact that it's a netflix vid should tell you that this isn't a big deal anymore.

One government admission of weird shit does not mean all weird gov't conspiracy theories are on to something ... case in point:

I met a male hair stylist.  Turns out, he was a homosexual.  If I use conspiracy theory logic, all male hair stylists must therefore also be homosexual (that's not true, FYI) ....

"Well, if they did MK Ultra, they must also be seeding the atmosphere with aluminum ions to control the weather."

Ugh ...

soliver

• coorsmikey likes this

#79 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

Hmmm... I see your point.

They are not seeding with aluminum ions to control the weather, the real reason is that they want to put the Federal Reserve on the Aluminum Standard, one ion at a time.  It all adds up you know.

Thanks for the warning Soliver.

They are very diabolical, and sneaky too.

• Soliver likes this

#80 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,761 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

The "why's" as to what we believe I suppose come down to what filters you are watching and learning through. There is very little proof of any of these things, BUT there is supporting facts and even well educated opinions. You can find facts to back up just about any opinion one has now in this information age. Makes it very hard to ferret out the truths of any of it. All you have is your own perspective and intuition to guide you. I guess I started believing in some things others find hard because I have witnessed some incredible things with my own two eyes that others would scoff at, and that they have indeed when the story was related.

As I have gotten older one thing I have discovered for sure is that there is MUCH more to this life than what you can weigh, touch and perceive. Our senses only encompass a very small percentage of what actually makes up our entire reality. I wish I had pics of those footprints but that was before everyone ran around with a camera in their pocket 24-7. Even when I had my own sighting I was so fucking shocked I drove right on by and my camera was the last thing on my mind. I can tell you this, it scared me for no real reason other than it did not fit into my idea of reality. I never even considered trying to get a better look and don't talk about it much for the very reasons others have stated, it fucks up my credibility.

• Alder Logs and sedaeng like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!