Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

First Chicon Nindo Grow ... does this look right? (pic)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

For the longest time I have stay in the shallow end, doing BRF cakes and attempting to fruit them.

Many moons ago I read Elfstone's post on the Chicon Nindo.  Inspired by his experiences of clarity and gnosis I have undertaken my first Chicon Nindo grow.  I have used the cubensis mushroom in conjunction with meditation and resting in the clear light of the nature of mind.  However it seems the Mexicana I've read have something remarkable to bring to the meditative experience and I am called to find out.

Started from the very beginning, buying a pressure cooker and getting to know how to use it.  

Inculating 1 jar of Rye grains with Chicon Nindo syringe ... yes, I now realize how dumb that is to only make one 1 jar of grains ... :)  We live and learn

Here's the setup, trying to faithfully replicate Elfstone grow ... included the antic blue LEDs ... does it look right?

IMG_20170909_142232.jpg

IMG_20170909_142237.jpg

I have about 2.5 inches of perlite ... and a continuous humidifier going 

My biggest question is:  does the FC need any other holes?  

The only hole it has is for the clear plastic hose coming from the humidifier

IMG_20170909_142946.jpg

I also think I messed up the casing.  I used 1:1 Organic Jiffy and Play Sand ... will try a different casing next time.

Edited by explorer7, 09 September 2017 - 07:28 PM.

• coorsmikey, MycoRunner, Microbe and 5 others like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,282 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Cool man! If you don't mind I will add some content that your thread soon as I have the same strain started myself. To answer your question though, I would suggest some more hole for fresh air would help your grow. That is just based on looking at your fruits being so slim and stretchy. They look look like they would like some more oxygen. Especially having the humidifier going continuously.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Please keep us updated?
  • wharfrat, peacefrog, mjroom and 1 other like this

#3 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thank you!!! Would be great to add content to this thread, the more the merrier.

Yeah, the stems look very very thin.

Do you think I should drill a 1.5inch hole next the to handle, and stuff it with poly fill?

Or better to drill three 1/4 inch holes and cover them with micro pore tape?

• peacefrog likes this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Definitely more FAE needed.

Good vibes.
  • explorer7 likes this

#5 MycoRunner

MycoRunner

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

I'd vote for at least 2 1.5" holes. I don't think the aquarium pump will give enough air flow.

What did you use for your substrate?

I like your setup, I am thinking of making something similar with a humidifier.

#6 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Definitely more FAE needed.

Good vibes.

How would you advise me to do that?  this is my first grow outside of pftek 

Make some holes with poly or crack the lid open ... 

#7 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

I'd vote for at least 2 1.5" holes. I don't think the aquarium pump will give enough air flow.

What did you use for your substrate?

I like your setup, I am thinking of making something similar with a humidifier.

No substrate, i just cased the grains straight.  

I had read this tek worked very well for some experienced growers and decided to try it :)

i'm open to suggestions for improvement 

#8 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Cool man! If you don't mind I will add some content that your thread soon as I have the same strain started myself. To answer your question though, I would suggest some more hole for fresh air would help your grow. That is just based on looking at your fruits being so slim and stretchy. They look look like they would like some more oxygen. Especially having the humidifier going continuously.

Coors, i think i read in one of the threads (maybe elfstone) that the best way to grow these is to put a airstone underneath the perlite and fill the tup till it covers the airstone. This would provide maximum FAE and humidity.  

Have you heard of this?   

• Heirloom likes this

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,173 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Nice to see another grow of Mexicana. Thin stems are pretty normal for the first flush. I'm growing p Mexicana tampanensis. The chicon nindo is next for a grow. I've had good yields of sclerotia and fruits but haven't been able to get a print yet. I'll be checking on this thread hoping to learn. good luck
  • coorsmikey, Cigarsam and Jeepster like this

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,282 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Coors, i think i read in one of the threads (maybe elfstone) that the best way to grow these is to put a airstone underneath the perlite and fill the tup till it covers the airstone. This would provide maximum FAE and humidity.

Have you heard of this?
Yes I have heard of this, I am also very fluent with Elfstone's work with these guys as I also have been inspired by him. He is one few that has cultivated this strain successfully and probably has had the best results that I have seen to date. Hopefully his ears start burning and he will chime in here to help.
My suggestion to add more air is based on just the appearance of your fruits though and not on Elfstone's studies. Having a humidifier going continuously lets you add more air while maintaining the high humidity that the CNZ likes. I am right behind as far as actually growing this strain and will soon have my own challenges to face.
Regardless of us chiming in on your thread with our opinions and suggestions, you have made a bold leap from PF cakes to actually growing CNZ. Give yourself a pat on the back! I have been wanting to grow these for 10 years now and just recently got the opportunity.

Edited by coorsmikey, 10 September 2017 - 01:04 PM.

• Microbe, Heirloom , Jeepster and 2 others like this

#11 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Watching this w/interest, have spores standing by that I am looking forward to researching.
  • Heirloom likes this

#12 MycoMan

MycoMan

"Mycophiliac"

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Sounds interesting, more pictures! :) I have a syringe I think I may just start some half gallon and do some mono bin's of these :) keep up the good work

• mjroom and explorer7 like this

#13 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Looking forward to your success here Explorer. I'm a fan of the Mexicanae species, and have drooled over this strain for a long time. Was that pinset hands-free, or are you misting and fanning? If so, how frequently?

• Heirloom and explorer7 like this

#14 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Looking forward to your success here Explorer. I'm a fan of the Mexicanae species, and have drooled over this strain for a long time. Was that pinset hands-free, or are you misting and fanning? If so, how frequently?

DonShadow, I've only ventured into the world of cubensis so I'm really looking forward to trying this species.   

I started the grow with an unmodified tub, allowing the passive FAE to do the work.  No misting, no fanning but I noticed very few pins.  

I went back and reread all the Chicon Nindo threads, in particular Elfstone's, and created a FC with an ongoing air exchange (see pics above).   That also allowed the humidity to be at 99%, then I mist several times a day.  If I was home and saw the stems had no dew on them, I used a micro-mister.  

I don't fan at all ... wondering if I should?

#15 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by passive FAE? I'm pretty sure that Elfstone uses airstones and an air pump in his setup, but I would think that periodic misting and fanning is still required. By the looks of it you've got a fairly formidable pinset as it stands, so I'd keep up whatever you're doing, but the skinny stipes are indicative of poor airflow. Rig up the airstones with a powerful air pump (60-80 gal), mist/fan a couple of times a day and I bet you'll get results.

Edited by DonShadow, 11 September 2017 - 03:33 PM.

• explorer7 likes this

#16 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by passive FAE? I know that Elfstone uses airstones and an air pump in his setup, but I would think that periodic misting and fanning is still required. By the looks of it you've got a fairly formidable pinset as it stands, so I'd keep up whatever you're doing, but the skinny stipes are indicative of poor airflow. Rig up the airstones with a powerful air pump (60-80 gal), mist/fan a couple of times a day and I bet you'll get results.

Don, thanks for the encouragement and advice.  Yesterday went on amazon and bought the airstone and air pump!!!  I'm on it :)

Passive FAE is hands free FAE, no fanning

Edited by explorer7, 11 September 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#17 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by passive FAE? I know that Elfstone uses airstones and an air pump in his setup, but I would think that periodic misting and fanning is still required. By the looks of it you've got a fairly formidable pinset as it stands, so I'd keep up whatever you're doing, but the skinny stipes are indicative of poor airflow. Rig up the airstones with a powerful air pump (60-80 gal), mist/fan a couple of times a day and I bet you'll get results.

I bought a 40 gallon air pump, do you think that's enough?

I'm using a 64L plastic container for the FC

#18 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

The airstones are great for keeping the RH up, and do seem to provide decent FAE also, though still not enough all on their own IME. I can't say for sure if a 40gal is sufficient, you'll have to experiment. You'll want to keep your airstone(s) submerged under water with the perlite also (enough so that the water sits about a 1/2" above the stone, but leaving a fair bit of exposed perlite above the water). And avoid the long sandstone airstones... they break. These are infinitely better: http://www.petsmart....sk-5098058.html

Edited by DonShadow, 11 September 2017 - 12:26 PM.

• Heirloom and explorer7 like this

#19 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

The airstones are great for keeping the RH up, and do seem to provide decent FAE also, though still not enough all on their own IME. I can't say for sure if a 40gal is sufficient, you'll have to experiment. You'll want to keep your airstone(s) submerged under water with the perlite also (enough so that the water sits about a 1/2" above the stone, but leaving a fair bit of exposed perlite above the water). And avoid the long sandstone airstones... they break. These are infinitely better: http://www.petsmart....sk-5098058.html

Amazing, thank you!!! was wondering how I was gonna get the airstone to work well.  I think I ordered too large of a sandstone,

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

will go for the one you suggest, thank you!

Really interesting to know about fanning in addition to the airstone.    

I imagine mist and right away fan.

How much fanning would you reckon is good?  

#20 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,615 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

I don't fan at all ... wondering if I should?

One way or another you have to facilitate the FAE. Automation is good especially if you have a job outside the house. Don't know about you but I can't keep my nose out of the fruiting chamber so exchanging is the easiest thing in the world - if I'm home.

As far as how much is too much fanning?  You'd probably get bored with fanning to do too much. Just remember that fanning will reduce RH so misting as you close up the tub won't hurt a thing.

Mucho successo with this project. I'd love a print if things go well.

Edited by pharmer, 11 September 2017 - 12:42 PM.

• DonShadow and explorer7 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!