Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

First Chicon Nindo Grow ... does this look right? (pic)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:07 AM

Cool man! If you don't mind I will add some content that your thread soon as I have the same strain started myself. To answer your question though, I would suggest some more hole for fresh air would help your grow. That is just based on looking at your fruits being so slim and stretchy. They look look like they would like some more oxygen. Especially having the humidifier going continuously.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Please keep us updated?

Here's an update on the Chicon Nindo grow ... 

IMG_20170914_205314.jpg

IMG_20170914_205320.jpg

Not sure why the heads haven't opened?  

Welcome all suggestions on how to improve the grow

• coorsmikey, MycoRunner, Heirloom and 3 others like this

#42 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,298 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

Damn that's pretty awesome Brother! That tub looks good from my house! You have done really well. You should be proud! I will be stoked if mine turn out half as well as yours. Just think where you will be with these guys in a year or so with a lil more practice.
  • explorer7 likes this

#43 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,215 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

Outta likes but I sure would like to know, I have Tampanensis and haven't been able to get a print, the answer could help me.
  • explorer7 likes this

#44 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Trying to get a second flush ... this is my first time doing it.

When I case again, do I place the straight into the FC or do I put the cover on and wait till full colonization?

#45 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,215 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

I would place back into FC, my first grow with the P. Mexicana Tampanesis substrain wishing I had caps as big as your's were. Nice thread and grow going here.
  • Jeepster likes this

#46 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:41 AM

So I recased the Galindoi show box about 48 hours ago ... I imagine I would wait 5-7 days and see the mycelium growing over the new casing.

Tonight I'm looking inside of the lid and see no mycelium but these small mushrooms.

Should I be taking these out?  

It's my first time recasing anything, so not sure how to proceed 

IMG_20170917_212013.jpg

#47 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,630 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

fruits is fruits, man. pick 'em

they'd just get wimpy and mushy in there while the mycelium overgrows your new casing

nice looking fruits. they look quite a bit thinner and taller than most I get but it seems to be common for Mexican types

• explorer7 likes this

#48 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Pick 'em, consume 'em, and trip with the gods while the fungus forest fills in.
  • mjroom and explorer7 like this

#49 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

So i recased my first Galindoi grow Sept 17 and noticed some pins from the last grow the next day.  

Decided to let these pins grow and surprised what's happened 

I'm noticing caps are brown and larger caps in this second flush ... compared to whitish and smaller caps from the first, maybe it has something to do with experimenting with Vita-Sand, which is primarily calcium carbonate 

Was wondering why i didn't see any mycelium in the recase

IMG_20170920_092534.jpg

IMG_20170920_092541.jpg

Open to all advice on how to make a better grow 

• Heirloom , Cigarsam and mjroom like this

#50 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,215 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

looks awesome, I saw people using calcium carbonate in older threads on Mexicana's , I bet it works good for you the calcium growing more healthier shrooms. This thread has helped me with my "Tampanensis" grow.

peace
  • Cigarsam, mjroom and explorer7 like this

#51 Organicanna

Organicanna

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Nice grow and thanks for sharing it.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to add except minor observations concerning my own feeble attempts.

Indoors: Both Galindoi and Tampanensis pinned much more abundantly after submerging the entire substrate in water for roughly 24hrs in between flushes. The difference between a long soak and simply misting or even bottom watering was staggering.

Outdoors: Burying what I thought was well spent substrate in my garden during early spring has resulted in sporadic (related to weather/watering) and sparingly few fruits all summer long and still going strong. The difference in the size as well as coloration of these outdoor fruits is amazing! I've had a few roughly 2 inch + caps with the galindoi often starting out in a most unique pinkish/orange/reddish coloration before opening and taking on the more familiar burnt burgandy/brown/tan colors.
The tampanensis also increased greatly in size outdoors, but not nearly as large as the galindoi. Many of the tampanensis fruits developed the most intensely contrasted colorations Ive never witnessed indoors. An almost pure white outside ring upon the open caps, then a light reddish brown gradually darkening to a deep reddish brown in the center of the caps.

Some of these fruits were so inspiring in coloration that I went through the hassles of setting up a full tripod/macro lens photo shoot to document them. Unfortunately, they are still upon the CF card within my DSLR camera but when I get the time to play I'll download, resize and erase metadata to post them.
  • coorsmikey, Heirloom , mjroom and 1 other like this

#52 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 676 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

I wonder if adding some H2O2 to the soak water would be a good idea to increase oxygen levels in the soak water for the mycelium anybody else think of this? Comments welcome.

#53 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,215 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

Good info , I'll try soaking and add a little h2o2.

outta likes again but you guys know how that is.

peace

#54 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

Nice grow and thanks for sharing it.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to add except minor observations concerning my own feeble attempts.

Indoors: Both Galindoi and Tampanensis pinned much more abundantly after submerging the entire substrate in water for roughly 24hrs in between flushes. The difference between a long soak and simply misting or even bottom watering was staggering.

Outdoors: Burying what I thought was well spent substrate in my garden during early spring has resulted in sporadic (related to weather/watering) and sparingly few fruits all summer long and still going strong. The difference in the size as well as coloration of these outdoor fruits is amazing! I've had a few roughly 2 inch + caps with the galindoi often starting out in a most unique pinkish/orange/reddish coloration before opening and taking on the more familiar burnt burgandy/brown/tan colors.
The tampanensis also increased greatly in size outdoors, but not nearly as large as the galindoi. Many of the tampanensis fruits developed the most intensely contrasted colorations Ive never witnessed indoors. An almost pure white outside ring upon the open caps, then a light reddish brown gradually darkening to a deep reddish brown in the center of the caps.

Some of these fruits were so inspiring in coloration that I went through the hassles of setting up a full tripod/macro lens photo shoot to document them. Unfortunately, they are still upon the CF card within my DSLR camera but when I get the time to play I'll download, resize and erase metadata to post them.

Thanks so much brother!  Amazing info

Once I harvest these pins, can I soak for 24 hours (I assume with distilled water), and then drain the water.

Do you suggest I put another casing after soaking?

• Heirloom and Organicanna like this

#55 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,215 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

I remember reading elfstones grow thread and at the time I thought didn't an air pump, I could just fan it. I saw you added an air pump and had a great grow in my opinion. I decided to add an air pump - putting 20 gallons/hour into my 10 gallon aquarium fruiting chamber. Humidity is 97% I still fan though to get the co2 out. I think I''ll do better now. My last harvest was tall thin no caps but potent.

this thread has really helped me

Edited by Heirloom , 20 September 2017 - 10:24 PM.

• Jeepster and explorer7 like this

#56 MycoMan

MycoMan

"Mycophiliac"

• Black VIP
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:16 AM

Very nice! some footers in that last bin I bet. It turned out great, nice work :)

• explorer7 likes this

#57 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:37 AM

Very nice! some footers in that last bin I bet. It turned out great, nice work :)

MycoMan, that's exact what it was, footers!  

How do I proceed after harvesting these footers?  Recase again?  

First timer question :)

• MycoMan likes this

#58 MycoMan

MycoMan

"Mycophiliac"

• Black VIP
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:40 AM

They need a casing so after harvesting maybe spot cast aor a fresh new layer just to cover the whole sub. I've only know friend's to fruit once and tear up the sub for the stone's...maybe someone with a little more expiernce with the question you asked would steer you better than I, nice work though for sure bro! :biggrin: :meditate:

#59 Organicanna

Organicanna

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

[quote name="explorer7" post="1336024" timestamp="1505960397"]
[/quote]

Thanks so much brother! Amazing info

Once I harvest these pins, can I soak for 24 hours (I assume with distilled water), and then drain the water.
Do you suggest I put another casing after soaking?[/quote]

Take any comments from me with an extra helping of salt as my experience with the mex types are extremely limited and I am in no way, shape or form worthy of offering quality advice or recommendations

The only time I ever use distilled water is within my AA pressure cooker to avoid mineral buildup/deposits as I detest cleaning that beast! I mostly just use bottled "spring" water (thats freshly opened hoping to avoid unnecessarily large contaminates) for soaks or mists etc.

I've never recased mine after harvesting a flush as I simply shear them off at casing level with scissors leaving the casing intact. The stems on all the mex types I've ever grown are tenacious and tough little buggers. Very fiberous and much tougher than they appear.

The only methods Ive used indoors is doing a long sclerotia grow of at least 6 months, harvesting the large stones then simply putting the spawn (including smaller sclerotia) in a tray and case perhaps 3/8 - 1/2 inch thick. Harvesting sclerotia is a huge pita to me and its simply easier to grow more than obsess about pulling smaller stones. Besides, through both cloning stones after selecting/sectoring mycellium on agar Ive managed to isolate a galindi thats a very decent producer of larger stones which also fruits nicely. It did seem to me that the trays which had the most leftover sclerotia in them both pinned first and fruited more aggressively, but I cant say with any certainty that this statement is in all reality the truth.

One other highly subjective observation I seem to have been finding is that the outdoor fruits seem noticeably more potent and Ill even go so far as say have a slightly different vibe to them. Of course I have nothing to back up such claims, there are way too many variables involved, statements as this are extremely and unreliably subjective but its simply been a recurring feeling every time I've done some form of comparison "study" lol.

I have a group of galindoi bags which need to be harvested of sclerotia and put in trays/cased asap as they are approaching the 8 month mark ... which is where in my past experience things can often start to deteriorate. This time I'll case with a mix containing a generous portion of sand. I've seen many mentions and pics with strong indicators that the mex group benefits pretty noticably when sand is a component of the casing mix. Being more familiar now on my isolates performance without a sandy casing mix .... using it should prove interesting.

This thread actually encouraged me to finally put some Chicon Ninda mex spores Ive had for awhile now to agar. Once I narrow down the genetics to a few more uniform isolates, I'm interested in how it performs producing sclerotia and fruiting. The only other mex type Ive played with is Jalisco and the genetics I narrowed down performed poorly producing sclerotia and even more pitifully fruiting. It could of been simply my poor skills selecting sectors when on agar, so I'll likely try again at some point from ground zero going from multispore to agar.

I have been trying very unsuccessfully to source some mex "A" spores for a very, very long time now. Many say they have at some point either seen it or worked with it but no longer have it. It's now like some bigfoot myth and largely a mystery if it still even exists.

Best of luck and I look forward to following your progression

Edited by Organicanna, 21 September 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• coorsmikey, Heirloom , mjroom and 1 other like this

#60 explorer7

explorer7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

Thank you Brother!!! Excellent advice

Like you, I'm fascinated by the mysterious Mexicanae Strain "A" ... would love to grow it if anyone has a print
I've looked to buy a syringe but no one seems to carry it
Bigfoot indeed!!! LOL

Edited by coorsmikey, 22 September 2017 - 01:37 AM.
Inner cranial gas displacement

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!