• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GrownNaturally1991

GrownNaturally1991

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Hey everyone, had 2 major questions in regards to my poppy seed grow. 

1) when is the proper time to score the poppy? Is it after is has opened up its flower or before? I have most of the other growing aspects down but this a cannot find an answer for.

2) what is the best lighing source to use? I have planned to use 6-8 T8 flourecent bulbs, will this be enough light?

I appreciate all the info I can get on this subject as im still somewhat of a noob when it comes to growing these, my main area of expertise is in medical marijuana. Happy thoughts to all you and your gardens!   

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Hey everyone, had 2 major questions in regards to my poppy seed grow. 

1) when is the proper time to score the poppy? Is it after is has opened up its flower or before? I have most of the other growing aspects down but this a cannot find an answer for.

2) what is the best lighing source to use? I have planned to use 6-8 T8 flourecent bulbs, will this be enough light?

I appreciate all the info I can get on this subject as im still somewhat of a noob when it comes to growing these, my main area of expertise is in medical marijuana. Happy thoughts to all you and your gardens!   

once the flower petals drop you will be left with the pod where the seeds are maturing, harvest the seeds once the pod dies back.. during this waiting period is when you can scratch the pod and it will oooz the healing resin. 

I'm no expert, i have only grown for 2 summers. as far as light goes i would assume the need maximum lighting like MJ, I think T8 would not be enough. T5 grow lights will be minimum. 

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Here's something on hydroponic poppies might be of interest since they used fluorescent lights.

http://growopium.tum...roponic-poppies

I've been meaning to do an indoor grow since my outdoor plants did not do well.

peace
  • wharfrat and GrownNaturally1991 like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Here's something on hydroponic poppies might be of interest since they used fluorescent lights.

http://growopium.tum...roponic-poppies

I've been meaning to do an indoor grow since my outdoor plants did not do well.

peace

good to know.. they are using T12 which are just basic fluorescent and the poppies are a decent size 

#5 GrownNaturally1991

GrownNaturally1991

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

Here's something on hydroponic poppies might be of interest since they used fluorescent lights.http://growopium.tum...roponic-poppiesI've been meaning to do an indoor grow since my outdoor plants did not do well.peace

Thank you for this. I'm gonna be using several sets of smaller 48" T8 lights. They produce 2850 lumens a piece so I was thinking 6-8 in the 6500k spectrum would be fine.

Edited by GrownNaturally1991, 12 September 2017 - 09:44 PM.

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

My pleasure, a lot of people would like to see a poppy grow here. I was amazed that the T-12's did so well. T-8's are way better and T-5's are blindingly bright. I do wonder if the stronger light will produce more alkaloids. I really look forward to seeing this grow.

peace
  • GrownNaturally1991 likes this

#7 GrownNaturally1991

GrownNaturally1991

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'll keep updates and post them up
  • Heirloom likes this

#8 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

I've grown under T5's, and got tiny pods.....but i got pods....I could have used better soil also....

• Heirloom likes this

#9 morvis

morvis

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I received a package of these with some bridgesii seeds as 'seed of the month' from world seed supply I believe it was. 

Kinda afraid to get into pods.  I don't wanna get hooked =).

#10 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

I usually wait until their is a pretty good 'white flush' on the pods, enough to leave definite fingerprints when you press them. Thats when I do mine.

(I grow mine outside, with the worlds best, cheapest grow light)

• GrownNaturally1991 likes this

#11 GrownNaturally1991

GrownNaturally1991

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

I usually wait until their is a pretty good 'white flush' on the pods, enough to leave definite fingerprints when you press them. Thats when I do mine.
(I grow mine outside, with the worlds best, cheapest grow light)

I have access to 1000 acre farm I will be using next year for outdoor. But I've always grown indoors it's what I know

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!