• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tuftygrasses

tuftygrasses

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

I'm trying to learn to ID new mushrooms. these where picked on sheep grazing up on the moor in the west of Scotland.
I know an active Panaeolus had a jet black spore print but they all look quite black to me...

If I find some active ones I can clean the spores up on agar, start it in doors and then make a patch in the garden.

Sorry those photos are rubbish aren't they. Should have taken pics outside before it got dark but it was bitter cold and pouring with rain.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170913_103320.jpg
  • 20170913_103413.jpg
  • 20170913_103518.jpg

Edited by tuftygrasses, 13 September 2017 - 04:43 AM.

• Heirloom likes this

#2 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 754 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

so far as I know there are no mushrooms with black spores which will hurt you. should be able to try some and see. Panaeolus Cinctulus are active and have the same potency as a cubensis. See attached link for good info and photos. Happy hunting, and you will have psilocybe semilanceata (liberty caps) where you are in those fields and they will be fruiting now as well. Bonus is that the liberty caps are much more potent than the Pan Cinctulus.

https://www.shroomer...eolus-cinctulus

https://en.wikipedia...be_semilanceata

Edited by mjroom, 12 October 2017 - 05:02 PM.

• Heirloom , Cuboid and DonShadow like this

#3 tuftygrasses

tuftygrasses

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

Im pretty confident ID ing libs but the variation in different pans confused me. Eating innactive pans wont do me any harm..
People seem to have the hang of differentiating between them but i dont get it :)

#4 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 754 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Im pretty confident ID ing libs but the variation in different pans confused me. Eating innactive pans wont do me any harm..
People seem to have the hang of differentiating between them but i dont get it :)

me either so you are not alone but I can find pan foes every time I go out looking. The cinctulus has the band around the cap and I have been assured they grow in my local but I can't find them. Little brown mushrooms are like little brown birds (sparrows) there are lots of different kinds and they look more alike than different. The devil is in the details as they say, persistence and patience is the way to finding them. That or a spore print/syringe and a dish of agar and then you can grow then on your lawn so you always know where to look.

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

From Roger Philips - Mushrooms :-

Panaeolus subbalteatus syn. cinctulus.jpg
Panaeolus Subbalteatus synonym Panaeolus Cinctulus
Cap 2-6cm across, convex at first expanding to almost flat with a broad umbro, dark reddish-brown when moist drying buff to pale tan from centre outwards leaving a darker zone at margin.
Stem 60-90 x 3-5mm, buff or pale brown with paler apex.
Flesh thin, brownish. Taste not distinctive, smell mushroomy.
Gills adnate, pale tan at first rapidly blackening.

Spore print black. Spore lemon shaped, 12-14 x 7.5-8.5 um.
Habitat in manured places especially gardens and compost heaps.

Season early summer to autumn. Rare.

Panaeolus foenisecii.jpg
Panaeolus Foenisecii
Cap 1-2cm across, bell shaped to convex, dark dull-brown drying out pale clay brown from the rust coloured centre outwards to the margin which often remains darker.
Stem 40-70 x 2-3mm, paler than cap.

Flesh buff to pale brown. Smell not distinctive.

Gills adnate, pale brown when young soon becoming mottled darker.

Spore print brownish black. Spores lemon shaped, rough, with germ-pore, 12-15 x 7-8.5um.
Habitat in grassland and on lawns and roadsides.

Season summer to autumn. Common.

Edited by Cuboid, 13 October 2017 - 04:02 PM.

• Heirloom and mjroom like this

#6 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Those are probably Panaeolus papilionaceus.  although I do not see any geared teeth like edges. But i have  found the P. papilionaceus without teeth at times.  And not all will have a veil remnant present either.

Panaeolussphinctrinus1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!