#41 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Think your wife nailed it with the spider bite.

• Heirloom likes this

#42 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

Look for signs of infection. I once got a horrible infection from a spider bite.

Eventually got smart and took the mess to a doc who said it was dangerously close to destroying flesh. He lanced it and the problem went away pdq.

I was going to will it away with time and machismo - not the best idea.....

• Heirloom likes this

#43 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,188 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

I'll start with wishing you comfort and healing brother, Heirloom.

And then say thank you for the Cool info on the molecular sieves. I've only read about them in passing, and know very little about them.
  • Heirloom likes this

#44 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Thanks pharmer , I was careless and now am more afraid of spiders than ever. My wife has been bitching about them for years. I have had the ulcer from bites before. My neighbors wonder why I have so many spider webs,birds and other living things in my yard. I don't kill them off , use no poisons in my mini forest yard, I'm seeking a natural balance with nature.

Thanks juthro , I am healing , I guess the still will provide medicine as granny from the Beverly Hill Billies made on occasion.

I am healing up, swelling is down, still numb hand & arm though. I believe the venom affected my mind but would not recommend trying it, could of been the steroids given for treatment. I haven't had a good nights sleep in a week.

I'm getting ready to put my still together a 3 gallon stainless steel pot a 10 foot copper worm in a bucket. I'll use this to learn on until I save up enough to buy a 7 gallon stainless steel still from Brewhaus.

I will do a first run soon ( a few days ) and show alcohol content with pix, of course I will show the still, using electric heat for safety. The total amount from my first 5gallons of wine distilled & ABV. This is a learning experience I know I will not do as good as those with experience.

I thought I should mention this about stainless steel as I have known people who said this can't b steel its not magnetic. Iron is magnetic but iron compounds called steel are not always magnetic

"most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic."

"Stainless steels are a very broad group of metals. The name was adopted as a generic term for steel alloys with a minimum of 10.5% chromium. The chromium gives the steel its 'stainless' properties - essentially corrosion resistance. On the surface of the metal, a very thin chromium-rich oxide layer is formed which is inert - i.e. it prevents the steel from rusting. The advantage of stainless steels over plated steels is that, if scratched or damaged, the steel will 'self-repair' as a new oxide layer is formed. In plated steels, scratches in the plate will often lead to corrosion of the steel underneath.

Stainless steel in general, the higher the proportion of chromium, the stronger the corrosion resistance of the steel. In addition to chromium, other metals are added to give the steel particular properties such as strength and malleability. Specifically nickel is used to strengthen the oxide layer.

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery.

However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

http://www.physlink....perts/ae546.cfm

Edited by Heirloom , 29 September 2017 - 01:48 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,188 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

Glad your doing a little better Heirloom. Where I used to live in Oregon, we had lots of spiders. While most are pretty harmless, we did have hobo spiders around. Their venom is one of the nasty ones that causes ulcers and tissue death.

My brothers boy got a bite on the back of his shoulder from putting on a shirt that had a spider in it. Once trapped between the shirt and skin the spider bit him. The wound was nasty. The doctor said that hobo's venom is so poisonous that your body's reaction is to clamp down hard all of the capillaries around the wound as a way to keep the poison from spreading.

The down side to that is the flesh around the wound no longer gets blood flow and dies. The wound must be kept very clean to prevent infection or gang green from growing in the dead tissue.

Anyway, enough horror stories :) I look forward to seeing what you get going my friend.

#46 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

this is my first try not much but hopefully will work, I will of course use hillbilly putty. Need to drill a few holes for the condenser, thermometer..,. I'm not in a hurry ... I will distill this slow & steady only can do what 2 gallons of wine at a time in a 3 gallon pot...

any opinions on the chapman 7 gallon stainless steel fermenter / potential boiler? I may want to step up soon

I can take all advise I will not be offended so be honest , I need that to advance

I will be happy if I can make a good solvent/ laquer thinner/ fuel

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• moonshine & such 004.JPG
  • moonshine & such 006.JPG
  • shine 001.JPG

Edited by Heirloom , 02 October 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#47 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

ethanol will thin lacquer????

shellac for sure

there's a hundred good reasons to have ethanol around. 99 of them have nothing to do with drinking  :)

• coorsmikey and Heirloom like this

#48 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

My sugar ( w/lemon juice added) wine tested at a little over 5%, I tasted it and was ok, I even got a little buzz from a few pints. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.I can se myself brewing or vinting in the near future.

I hope this breaks this streak of bad luck I have been having.

distillers yeast I bought AAAAAA 007.JPG

#49 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

pharmer thanks for pointing that out - ethanol is not a lacquer thinner, my excuse ignorance, I needed to know that. I don't even know what lacquer is, I have led a sheltered life, where I lack common knowledge.

ok I have come to the conclusion that a still is the best way for high quality alcohol.

With my 5% ABV wine it would require 950 grams of anhydrous magnesium sulfate per liter to produce 50 ml of 99%ethanol in theory . Not very efficient and labor /energy intensive/ costly.

I will get back with the results of my first distillation attempt. I want to be able to justify the cost of a still.

peace
  • Juthro likes this

#50 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,188 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

Good luck brother.

Stay safe my friend :)

• Heirloom likes this

#51 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

I was fairly sure ethanol would not thin lacquer but didn't check it out to verify. I think lacquer, at least recently, is a synthetic construct and would most likely be made of modern solvents.

The  Japanese were doing "lacquering'" techniques on their furniture a thousand years ago. My curiosity is up now and if there's anything worth sharing I'll get back here with the findings.

waaaay off topic but since we're here    https://en.wikipedia...ese_lacquerware

lacquer thinner and ethanol are seriously different critters as are lacquer and shellac - it just seemed too far a reach. I had every intention of running down this fact but forgot all about it tbh :(

Edited by pharmer, 08 October 2017 - 07:38 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#52 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

I have been drinking my own and realized I made a mistake . to extract 1 ml/gm of water requires 0.5gm of anhydrous magnesium sulfate. The short version is I only need 450grams of AMgS to absorb 950ml/gm of water.

Man my bad luck streak could be tied directly to my intoxication factor- its been expensive better stop before its fatal. Seems a guy needs a clear mind

Edited by Heirloom , 08 October 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#53 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

.5 mg X 950 = 475, not sure if the extra 25 matters, but that is the math.

:tinfoil: 

• Heirloom likes this

#54 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

yea,it matters , I have been drinking my home brew not much of an excuse but it appears alcohol is not a brain food
  • coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#55 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,188 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:43 AM

yea,it matters , I have been drinking my home brew not much of an excuse but it appears alcohol is not a brain food

Its good to enojoy the fruits of your labor in good health. You just have to remember that when you do, it precludes some other activities. Things like driving, distilling, ridding motor cycles, and ect...

I know your old enough to know this already, and I am in no position (and I'm trying not to) to preach. I just want you to stay safe, and be well my friend.

It is a personal weakness of mine, and I have to make a conscious effort not to be careless. For my good, as well as the good of those I care about.

Edited by Juthro, 09 October 2017 - 01:43 AM.

• Heirloom likes this

#56 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,188 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

So  Heirloom,  were you just using sugar with your turbo yeast, or did you have some other fermentable?

EDIT: I found where you already said it was sugar water, sorry about that.  I got stoned and I missed it :)

If you don't mind me asking.  Are you following directions on the turbo yeast package?

What ratio of sugar/water did you use, and how much lemon did you add

Edited by Juthro, 11 October 2017 - 02:45 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#57 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,572 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

I haven't tried the turbo yeast yet . I used 4 lbs of sugar a pack of montrech and 5 table spoons of lemon juice , I just woke up from a nap after drinking several measuring cups full.

I will follow the directions on the turbo yeast
  • Juthro likes this

#58 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Welll sheeeeeeiiiitt! I've spent a couple 4 hour sessions on youtube studying distilling. I'm embarrassed at my self for knowing so little about something so do-able.

Just distilling water should be something anyone can do with ten minutes notice

Ethanol is slightly harder but certainly within reach.

Now, making a brandy from fruit is a different critter and probably only for a real enthusiast but.....

• coorsmikey and Heirloom like this

#59 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

Maybe we should change the title of this thread to “Evolution of ethanol”?
  • Heirloom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!