and Duct Tape FTW!   :)

#22 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• VIP
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the feeback P.C.
I am using both dressers and a towel seems to be soakinv up the small spill I had using the Sep funnel for the first time.
Oh, the 100 mile an hour tape is for wraping up the top of the funnel.
This last run using the funnel seems to be putting out all white and some off yellow sand like ceystals.
I plan on using the funnel more from now on.
As for yeilds go, I haven't gotten around checking on that yet.
Still trying to read up on different teks to get actual crystals.
Looking at some buchner funnel and pump kits on Amazon thats next on my list for cleaner looking extractions.
Straining the mhrb using an old t-shirt after the vinegar soak sure does make the crystals look more white this last run.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#23 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Do yourself a favor and wrap the stopper with some teflon tape.  It's a quick and cheap insurance policy against the stopper getting stuck. It's a major nuisance that comes around once in a while to everyone who doesn't tape or grease the stopper,  and grease the valve.

I don't love the idea of using hdpe for base or acids. The data suggests they will stand up to the harsh environment but do you want that stuff getting into your concentrates??

However, in a pinch I will use them but put them in a mortar mixing pan in case of a failure, there's a resevoir underneath to catch any spilling.tub.jpg the thicker the better.

another tip: use a funnel to pour stuff into your separatory funnel. I'm surprised they don't come built that way.

filtering early and often is a good way to make the process go more smoothly in general and to end up with a fairly clean product. T-shirts are good for big crud but you need to get to finer filters for cleaner product. surprisingly cotton balls packed in a funnel do a pretty good job of filtering what your t-shirt does not.

Edited by pharmer, 11 February 2018 - 09:09 PM.

• coorsmikey, Phineas_Carmichael and Cigarsam like this

#24 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• VIP
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

Thank you Pharmer for the helpful advice.
The cotton balls, and mortar mixing pan are sure to ease the nerves for the next run.

#25 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• VIP
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

First, and last until I research more about using a sep funnel for extraction.
150 grams of powdered mhrb on my first pull and zero crystals I decided to put the mix back into jars and place them in not water to see if that draws out something.
What a mess of an experiment. Never a constant flow from the funnel.
Keep it simple stupid.

Edited by Cigarsam, 16 February 2018 - 09:36 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!