• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:55 PM

This was probably the first 'hidden gem' I guess you could call it that was pointed out to me when I first started taking interest in the Bible..

For starters, Genesis 5 is pretty much just a bunch of names listed, from Adam to Noah, with a few other details, like how old they were when the next was born, and such.

Until you examine the name meanings a little closer, in Hebrew.

check this out.

genealogy-of-genesis-5-adam-to-noah.jpg

It gets even better from there, though.

Check out the whole story, to Jesus.

It's done in about a half a dozen images so I'll just link to the page that has them all in one.

http://www.bible-cod...e-printable.htm

• tuftygrasses likes this

#2 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

Why is this a "hidden gem"?
  • coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#3 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

Ok, so I guess a lack of broad wide-known awareness because it's not a connection commonly made Isn't exactly "hidden". I suppose.

Sorry you find exception with the semantics?

I guess?

So here we go, anyway...

Webster's holds that 'hidden' means not readily apparent (I don't find that whole story outlined by name meanings "readily apparent' as not everyone just off the cuff knows all of the name meanings.

And then for 'gem' we have this  guy here:

2. something likened to or prized as such a stone because of its beauty or worth:

I don't know about the rest of anyone else, but I find basically the story of existence, as outlined in the Bible, also outlined in just the name meanings from the beginning to, well, the beginning's name, to fit that descriptor as well, I find beauty and worth from it, but you know, eye of the beholder and shit..

And that's how I come to define the above as such.

But anyway, like I said.  Sorry if you find exception with my semantics.  If that's all you got out of it, then maybe the point was missed.

Edited by morvis, 23 September 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#4 tuftygrasses

tuftygrasses

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

Today is the beginning of the end according to the woman of the apocalypse prophecy.

The constalations and planets line up to mimic the details of the passage on the 23rd

"And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: 2And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

3And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. 4And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born"

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

Has anybody ever read Jesus' grandson's gospel called "The Book of Wisdom"? Its in the Apocrypha.

• Spooner likes this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

Today is the beginning of the end according to the woman of the apocalypse prophecy.

The constalations and planets line up to mimic the details of the passage on the 23rd

"And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: 2And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

3And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. 4And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born"

I just went outside and looked at the sky; no dragons yet. But the day is young.

• Myc, Juthro and Spooner like this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Ok, so I guess a lack of broad wide-known awareness because it's not a connection commonly made Isn't exactly "hidden". I suppose.

I guess?

So here we go, anyway...

Webster's holds that 'hidden' means not readily apparent (I don't find that whole story outlined by name meanings "readily apparent' as not everyone just off the cuff knows all of the name meanings.

That would technically make it "occult" knowledge. Since not all things are hidden from all people, I guess that means that 'the occult' is relative.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#8 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

Again, semantics. Sorry I'm not the greatest at selecting the words that best describe the thoughts to make ppl question my motives. That or some ppl just want to try to snare others in their words. Im just trying to share something thats not exactly commonly known by people who are otherwise familiar with the Bible. If someone feels like that's "promoting occult knowledge" then all i can do is chuckle a bit, shake my head, knock the dust off my feet, and move on. Im not debating semantics here.

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Linguistic reality?

• Spooner likes this

#10 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Would it have been so picked apart had I said "lesser known gems" instead? I'm sure the theres always going to be someone.....

#11 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

Occult isn't an inherently negative word, it just means hidden, so there doesn't seem to be any need to be offended by TV's post.

To my initial question, "gem" was my concern, not hidden. I find it difficult to extract any relevance from the alleged story that the names provide. I have an interest in the underlying mythology beneath these ancient stories but in my experience that generally requires someone with a deep knowledge of the the stories' lineage. Is there something useful in those names for you, others?
  • TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#12 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

I may have mis-read his comment I didn't mean to come off like I took offense to it, I try to not to take offense to things but yea I guess considering the context, I'd say that if God had His influence on how the names worked out, sure, it would be, as seeing as occult is defined as relating to the supernatural.

Just out of curiosity, what are you find it irrelevant *to*, exactly?  It does a pretty decent job of summoning up the story told throughout the Bible, IMO.  It doesn't take much other than looking up the meanings of the names listed to see it.  I guess i'm not understanding what you mean by 'useful'.

As far as the term 'gem' - it's a fairly commonly used term for something that someone finds interesting, or 'neat'.  Maybe I'm just easily amused that a string of 70 some odd names fit together so nicely that you could simply add punctuations and maybe a few connecting words to formulate a fairly cohesive story that pretty much aligns with the basic story of the Bible.

Anyway, like it or don't like it, I don't care.  I was just putting this out there, and there's been more said in response to which words I used to describe it than the content itself.   Guess I just should have tossed it up there with zero context and let it stand on its own.

#13 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Anyway, like it or don't like it, I don't care.  I was just putting this out there, and there's been more said in response to which words I used to describe it than the content itself.   Guess I just should have tossed it up there with zero context and let it stand on its own.

It's sentences like this that make me think you do get offended by things. Perhaps you just build sentences like this all the time and I shouldn't try to read underneath but, ime, people who say things like this, do it because they are offended.

It doesn't make any difference to me how you present something but I would think one should expect scrutiny, questioning, ect, if one posts something like you have, to begin this thread. This is how dialogue works.

Back to the point...my understanding of the Bible is that it is not a story but a collection of myths/parables written by many, many people over many, many years and building on earlier myths/parables from earlier peoples so it's not clear to me how one would interpret what you've presented as a "summing up of the story".

As per useful, in the most general terms, I try to look at the relevance of the various stories with regards to whether they offer a way to navigate existence in the modern world. Therefor, I was curious to know how one may interpret this "story" so that it offers a map, so to speak, for living life, or an aspect of life.

Edited by August West, 23 September 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

I know the genealogy of Jesus.

He is a friend of mine who works as bartender down at the Acapulco restaurant, and lounge. His family owns the place.

Mariela (his mother) waits tables and runs the front till, and Carlos (his father) runs the kitchen.

They make the best enchilada's, and chili rellenos on the peninsula. (and their Corona is always cold)
  • Myc, August West, Cue and 1 other like this

#15 tuftygrasses

tuftygrasses

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

I just went outside and looked at the sky; no dragons yet. But the day is young.

hehehe 

I kept an eye out of the stirings of the zombie apocalypse, nothing obvious. maybe the a red dragon is from the east.. how many psychopaths are in charge of armys just now? 7? 10? Ive not seen any news today. If there where no nukes I say its anothe red herring 

#16 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Is Nostradamus next ?

Or has this site become the internet version of Chick's tracts ?

• Juthro likes this

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

Have you checked the kitchen...?

post-136504-0-56369600-1506191393.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• dragons.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 23 September 2017 - 01:31 PM.

• Myc, Cue, Alder Logs and 3 others like this

#18 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

I guess?

So here we go, anyway...

That would technically make it "occult" knowledge. Since not all things are hidden from all people, I guess that means that 'the occult' is relative.

I like the word "esoteric".

• Juthro likes this

#19 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

To get more toward topic......

morvis,

You may enjoy the works of Chuck Missler. He's a former code-breaker for one of the alphabet agencies who has a penchant for puzzles and patterns. He's pretty mainstream and not someone I would classify as being among the "lunatic fringe" - your mileage may vary. 

It's pretty interesting that these things line up in the KJV

But when you read the Hebrew from which it was all translated.............that's where things go off-the-rails quick. 

Like trying to use plane geometry to solve spherical equations. The farther one goes - distance or time - the greater the error becomes. 

In the beginning They - Elohim - did some interesting things. Some things They spoke into existence - others, They deliberately created. Once creation was done and stocked with creatures, jThey compelled a singular, masculine individual entity (One from among Them) to create a garden and to set in it Man - and He created Man in his own image. 

Now this is carefully paraphrased - but exactly accurate in its statement. Elohim, in Hebrew, is a gender neutral, plural pronoun - indicating a group composed of both male and female entities. The KJV handily sums all of this up into God - a singular, masculine entity so as to avoid further questioning. Due to this reasoning, I'm not totally surprised at some of the artifacts which can be found in modern translations of the Bible as we know it. Entire gospels have been omitted. An Old Testament book - was placed behind the entire New Testament. 

You might see how a person's perception may be misguided by individuals having a personal agenda. If the reader weren't given the sum of the facts first. Regrettably its seems we have to sift-out those truths on our own with our misguided perspective. Given time and research in the right areas, discovery of the Truth can be obtained. 

Acceptance of the Truth is optional.

Edited by Myc, 23 September 2017 - 03:51 PM.

• Skywatcher and tuftygrasses like this

#20 morvis

morvis

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

I have a book or two written by mr Missler, I rather enjoy his insights.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!