#21 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:24 AM

Creating a double haploid or doubling the chromosomes in a single monokaryotic culture is something i was researching but i needed a break.

That is very interesting, I would love to hear where your research led.

If successful it would open the doors wide open for selective breeding including crossing or creating hybrids by being able to truly control the lineage.

Exactly, overcoming the mating types and achieving complete homozygosity would be a game changer!

I have noticed that a dilution onto agar followed by lowering the incubation temp, makes the germination play out a lot slower and you would have a bigger window to grab cultures as they germinate.
Typically when we see mycelium growing, it is very probable that is dikaryotic or already mated. By spore dilution i mean taking a piece of nicrome wire and touching a spore print then swirl it around in 100 ml or more of water then aspirate the water into a syringe then disperse single drops via 27 gauge sharp onto agar. Couldn't imagine how many drops that would be. Just talking about it makes me anxious about it allover again. Im trying to balance life and a new career at the moment but once i balance it, i will hit the mycology with intensity again.

Edited by Microbe, 15 March 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#22 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:33 AM

They also use water agar and slightly lower incubation temperatures, so you do not get such fast growth. It would be interesting to see if those $20 usb microscopes you can get on ebay that say they get 1600x magnification, would pick up a spores on a white background?

I am looking forward to your return, sounds excellent! 

• Microbe likes this

#23 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

got one them scope have break out print and see what i can see. years ago my pappy was talking about using cholchine to produce super weed plants, sounds like similar affects to fungi too. pretty cool mikey

• coorsmikey likes this

#24 PistolPete13

PistolPete13

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

Hi Phungivore it would be great if you could take a few screen grabs and upload them here to show us what they can do. I noticed there were different magnifications, the best I could see and I did not really look hard was 1600X magnification which in theory should be fine. But in practice they may not work so well???

#25 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

Thank you for all your detailed  research!!!  Your ARX   P1010462.JPG

• coorsmikey and Heirloom like this

#26 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,337 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:50 PM

Mikey:  You note that ARX produces few spores but I obtained 8 spore prints today with no problem  from a first flush.  The prints are red like redboy.   While the criticism of colchicene  as toxic was elaborated upon and well merited  I would think that  generation there would be  no colchicine incorporated in the fruitings? No?  Sort of like feminized seed treatment?

• Heirloom likes this

#27 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

Thought I'd drop mine in. I was having a horrible time with agar when I started this, (Not related to the ARX). So I bit the bullet clipped my portion of print in half and made some MS.
I ended up tossing some grain gone bad, but got 1 quart jar colonized and one that contaminated at around 70 percent. Contrary to any advice anyone has ever heard read or given. I spawned what good lumps I could get out of the bad jar. I ended up with a pint of spawn divided between 3 pint size Dub tubs with coir/verm substrate. The first produced a flush of tiny mushrooms, second flush provided a cap large enough to print.

The send has a a larger decent cluster I'll clone. And a very "APE" fruit. I may clone that too. The third is still in small pin stage.

20190701_224523-1.jpg

20190701_224533-1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!