• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wagenknecht

Wagenknecht

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

I have been drying my bulk grow on a fan. It dried to a crisp and then I store them in an air tight Tupperware-like container. After a night I will check on them and they are soft again.
I've even used those bags with the beads on the container and still, same issue.
Advice would be welcomed, please.

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

I use freezer ziplock storage bags?

Why freezer bags? Because, the others are O2 permeable; and oxygen aides in the oxidation of the psilly molecule.

• sandman, coorsmikey, Juthro and 2 others like this

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Sometimes a material feels dry but there is residual moisture inside cells that softens the material overnight , simply dry a little more and then put into storage, I like mason jars they come in sized from 2oz to half a gallon.

edit- maybe your container is not as air tight as it seems

Edited by Heirloom , 09 October 2017 - 03:43 PM.

• sandman, Coopdog, Cue and 2 others like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

Depending on the relative humidity where your at fan drying may not be enough. Sometimes it takes some desiccant, or some heat to drive that last little bit of moisture out.
  • sandman and Cue like this

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Depending on the relative humidity where your at fan drying may not be enough. Sometimes it takes some desiccant, or some heat to drive that last little bit of moisture out.

I live in subtropical climate, so I use heat. I have a 9 tray Excalibur Deluxe that is a real work horse.

• sandman, Juthro, Microbe and 1 other like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 808 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Probably not all are as dry as you think. I don't believe fan drying will ever get them cracker dry. Without a dehydrator you pretty much have to finish with a resistant.

If you successively add mushrooms to the same container moisture content is going to equalize. One batch not fully dry will turn them all soft.

Also anything moisture content over cracker dry makes them subject to mold.
  • sandman, Juthro and Wagenknecht like this

#7 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:11 AM

Add heat or a dehydrator. If it is moderately humid you can not just fan dry them to cracker dry.

• Juthro and Wagenknecht like this

#8 Wagenknecht

Wagenknecht

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

Add heat or a dehydrator. If it is moderately humid you can not just fan dry them to cracker dry.

Maybe like a space heater?

• sandman likes this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

With a little care you should be able to make it work,  just be careful you don't start any fires. 

A dehydrator works best IMHO, but if you don't have access to one, you can also use a sheet pan in a warm oven.

#10 ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

I live in subtropical climate, so I use heat. I have a 9 tray Excalibur Deluxe that is a real work horse.

Does your Excalibur have a variable heat setting? If so, what temperature do you safely dry your goods with the least loss of potency?
My dehydrator goes from fan only, then 95 F through 165 F.

#11 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

125F

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 808 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:02 AM

Just wanted to add a note, the only time I've seen potency loss is tryi g to use an an oven. An oven is not the same as a dehydrator. There's no air movement. Better off with a a fan and finishing with dessicant.
  • Cue, Microbe and Wagenknecht like this

#13 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Just wanted to add a note, the only time I've seen potency loss is tryi g to use an an oven. An oven is not the same as a dehydrator. There's no air movement. Better off with a a fan and finishing with dessicant.

I've screwed the pooch twice with large amounts of mushrooms in the oven.

• Microbe likes this

#14 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 725 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

the OP can make an inexpensive and reusable desiccant by taking 3 - 4 ounces at a time of Epsom Salts and boiling off the water in it. The crystals contain moisture, if you place the crystals into a microwave safe upper ware container and microwave on high untill all visible moisture is gone; note you want to keep a mug of water in the oven all the time so it does not run with no absorption inside of the oven. I microwave dries 3 ounces in about 4.5 minutes easy. The dry Epsom Salts is said to absorb over twice its weight in moisture. I dried about 0.7 of a litre of Epsom Salts in a microwave safe tupperware container took about twenty minutes. That's a lot of desiccant.

Fan dry off the bulk of the mushroom moisture then place into a container with the dry salts and let them do the rest to a cracker dry state then pack into freezer bags with as little air as possible. 

• Heirloom and Wagenknecht like this

#15 Wagenknecht

Wagenknecht

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

So, here is what I've done with semi decent results.
Air drying to the point where it feels dry, even a little mush but not much. I took a huge, wide mouth jar and put dessicant at the bottom (about a 1/2 in). I covered that with a layer of tyvek and put the air dried mushrooms on top and replaced the lid.
So far, it has worked wonders. When needed, I can remove the shrooms and tyvek, put the jar in the oven, and bake the dessicant/sterilize the jar.
  • Heirloom and mjroom like this

#16 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

I'm with Heirloom. Cracker dry however you have to to get there, then into glass jars with a tight lid. They stay dry and keep just fine that way.

• Juthro and Heirloom like this

#17 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

145f no problem with potency.

• Cue likes this

#18 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Cabela's has a couple of really big dehydrators for not a whole lot of money if you are into that kind of thing. Probably the best value for a big dehydrator.

#19 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,004 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

I've screwed the pooch twice with large amounts of mushrooms in the oven.
I have caused a few bleeding gums with shrooms splinters by overbaking myself.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!