21 replies to this topic

#1 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

James Corbett's follow-up to "How Big Oil Conquered the World" (seen in this thread, here)

https://www.youtube....lNey9t7hQ&t=10s(can't get an embed to work - feel free, if you can).

[Direct Link]

Edited by Myc, 10 October 2017 - 08:27 AM.

• Myc, Alder Logs and jkdeth like this

#2 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

I watched a doco the other night, part 1 of 4, "The Secret of the Seven Sisters". A good watch, ill check this one out after

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

I got that video embedded. Thanks big-time for this!! 

I check Corbett pretty regularly and had missed this one. 

• August West, Alder Logs and CatsAndBats like this

#4 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

I don't need to watch a doc to know why people chose the oil industry to make them millions of doll hairs.....You control the worlds fuel sources, you control the world....Thought that was pretty obvious.....

#5 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

What was Corbett thinking? He could've just made a little blog post with that thorough, well-informed summation and saved himself a lot of time.

Edited by August West, 10 October 2017 - 10:57 AM.

• fungi2bwith likes this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Some YouTube URLs won't embed.  If you go to YouTube and put the video's title into their search, most always the first hit on the search will have a URL that works for embedding.

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,730 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

What was Corbett thinking? He could've just made a little blog post with that thorough, well-informed summation and saved himself a lot of time.

I had the same reaction to Ken Burns' new offering about VietNam.  There's nothing, nothing, nothing new in the docu. In fact I'd say the purpose for making it was just to reinforce the same old tropes about it.

Curiously Burns trots out Joe Galloway, the journalist made famous in Mel Brooks' We Were Soldiers Once, And Young. In some kind of time warp/mind warp device merely replays his part in Mels' movie which merely uses stories of real people to reinforce the same old memes about warfare and that war in particular.

It's kind of like a panel of scientists being selected to peer review their own works - and never looking outside their own works to verify or confirm their own findings. It's an ever-inward-looking outlook. Dishonest and anti thought.

#8 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

I had the same reaction to Ken Burns' new offering about VietNam.  There's nothing, nothing, nothing new in the docu. In fact I'd say the purpose for making it was just to reinforce the same old tropes about it.

I was actually dropping a snarky response to the post above mine.

Corbett's offering is provocative and I can almost guarantee you'll learn something (whether useful to you or not, I don't know) you didn't know. It certainly won't earn you many friends at parties (at least the ones I attend) and maybe not even any here at mycotopia.

I wouldn't post a Ken Burns or any documentary I didn't think had some value.
  • Myc and Alder Logs like this

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,730 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

OK, gotcha. All snarks are duly noted.

Will watch the Corbett.

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

I just clicked on the [Direct Link] and got this from YouTube:  "Flash-embedded videos are no longer supported, but you can still watch this video on YouTube."

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

I just clicked on the [Direct Link] and got this from YouTube:  "Flash-embedded videos are no longer supported, but you can still watch this video on YouTube."

I imagine that since Corbett made "the list" not too long ago - the list of news agencies who were [loosely] Russian sympathizers - his program is part of the "de-monitization" and other strategies to stamp out the alternate viewpoints. 

Taken in context with what is presented in the video, it's actually quite astounding what a useful tool the internet will be toward their ends. 

#12 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

Sadly though, the same response could have been garnered via some blog post

#13 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Sadly though, the same response could have been garnered via some blog post

I don't know what that means. Care to elaborate?

#14 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Addendum:

[Direct Link]

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Hark, the Herald Angels sing, Data is our newborn king.

[Direct Link]

I could have posted this in many threads, while it probably deserves a thread of its own. 

#16 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

Hark, the Herald Angels sing, Data is our newborn king.

[Direct Link]

I could have posted this in many threads, while it probably deserves a thread of its own.
I'm sort of surprised to see you supporting Corbett's message in this project. Not that you have to take it all at face value and all of that...

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

James Corbett and I don't share the same perspective on everything, but I can call him a pretty good journalist from my particular perspective.  We don't have to agree on all of it, because no one is fully informed, as the nature of information is that it is incomplete.   Things that I like and you don't, and vice versa, would/could work well for most folks in various contexts which may or may not come to pass.    Living and letting live functions much better in environments that aren't solely driven out of fear.    For the most part, this snake-eating-its-tail formula given us by top-down control will not survive itself in any form very similar to the one it has at present.  

I know schooling in its various forms is of great interest to you.  I just heard that of all the countries' public or private educational schemes, the most successful in producing the highest levels of success is Finland, which has held this position for many decades.   In their basic model of education, cooperation is purposefully taught while competition is not, nor is private education allowed.    There, in that context, the dreaded public education thrives.  

When all the coming shit has been fully engaged in the fan blades, contexts will be up for grabs, and hopefully we will be open to mine the best from what came before, and will still be open to innovation, even then.   Cooperation seems the only political value which can benefit the whole of humanity.

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 December 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#18 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Yep. Agree with most of that.

With regards to the education comment, I'm pretty skeptical (surprise, surprise) about the constant praise heaped upon northern European countries. There may be some merit to it but "success" and "happiness" are not objective terms and it would take some time to unpack how those metrics are agreed upon. It seems we'd also disagree on whether something is "thriving" if all choice is removed from the equation. That in and of itself shows me that the Finnish system is less than desirable.

On another note, the demonetizing by YouTube and even straight up content removal is being worked on. Check out and request your content providers of choice move their wares over to bitchute.com

Edited by August West, 17 December 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Check out and request your content providers of choice move their wares over to bitchute.com

I don't know about that.  Is it possible my content providers could mirror their content to begin the move?    I have to wonder if that will be one of the first "slow lanes" created by the major ISPs. 

My monopoly ISP has only enough of its oversold bandwidth here at 12:20 Sunday afternoon to allow me .3 Mbps as just checked.  It's great to know my telephone company doesn't have to treat my internet as a utility any longer.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 December 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#20 jacktree

jacktree

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Overpopulation actually is a problem, not a conspiracy theory. It doesn't surprise me that oligarchs/elitists are worried about it, because they aren't idiots. The world will fall apart and they will lose there power if we run out of resources.

basic math, you cant have infinite growth on a finite planet. Theres no way around that.

I did a fairly large research project on this issue awhile back, I came to the conclusion that we only have until the end of the century at best before civilization collapses unless major advancements in technology are made.

This planet cant support 12 billion people for very long, around 3 or 4 billion would be ideal. The issue with population reduction is 1. to many conspiracies surrounding it so people would never go along with it, and 2. it would fuck up the economy, because our economy is all based on growth, reducing population reduces growth, not to mention all the social programs that depend on young people paying into the system to pay for the retired people. I don't see an easy way out of this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!