• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wagenknecht

Wagenknecht

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

While I'm planning I know woodlovers mycelium will be part of the plan. I was thinking of burying an established log very shallow between a canopy tree and subcanopy tree (pear and dwarf fugi).

Will the mycelium in the established log be detrimental to the root systems of those trees?

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

While I'm planning I know woodlovers mycelium will be part of the plan. I was thinking of burying an established log very shallow between a canopy tree and subcanopy tree (pear and dwarf fugi).

Will the mycelium in the established log be detrimental to the root systems of those trees?

I doubt it. The actives we deal with are not parasitic.

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,721 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

there's more to the mushroom than the actives

they're  decomposition machines

they work on dead, damaged, or dying plant material, not living healthy roots

so my guess is that they will not attack, but help the healthy trees. they'll be down there in the soil improving the soil and doing their symbiotic thing just as they do everywhere else in nature.

the active fruits are just another blessing

Edited by pharmer, 10 October 2017 - 12:05 PM.

• PsyBearknot and CatsAndBats like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

The mushrooms to worry about are the Armillaria group.  I don't know how they get into the roots of healthy trees, but I suppose it's through any root that has suffered damage.   I would think just about every tree in the woods has such damage from falling limbs penetrating the ground.   I have seen it get even western red cedar, which is highly rot resistant.

#5 Wagenknecht

Wagenknecht

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

Ah yes.
My thought was that the mycelium would actually help to distribute water evenly to the root systems. Seeing how cubenis likes to take over healthy rice, oats, and wheat I thought it'd be good to ask how wood lovers might act with healthy, live roots.
My idea is that it's like a giant monotub when slightly covered by soil.

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,721 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Go for it. We learn by experimenting.

If you want as much control as possible you'd go for tubs indoors. Outdoors is a gigantic crapshoot with mother nature calling almost all the shots.

I'm about to get on board the outdoor woodlover bed myself so I'll be watching if you start a thread.

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

So we are talking actives?   :biggrin:

I can't find our thread on it but here's some reading for you. Not sure how much cube myc will help a plant but I've grown cubes in potted plants with no ill effects.

http://www.bbc.com/e...hidden-internet

cubes in a begonia plant:

https://mycotopia.ne...me-b/?p=1262475

https://mycotopia.ne...me-b/?p=1264755

Edited by CatsAndBats, 12 October 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#8 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 725 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

cyanescens seem to like to grow under berry bushes and rhododendrons so they do have preferences and I expect that is a two way door with frequent combinations they must each (organism) help the other in some way.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

cyanescens seem to like to grow under berry bushes and rhododendrons so they do have preferences and I expect that is a two way door with frequent combinations they must each (organism) help the other in some way.

emoji848.png

Interesting. Those are two plants that typically like an acidic fertilizer IMO/IME.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!