19 replies to this topic

#1 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Everything is going well so far. Slowly approaching 15 psi. 4 -1/2 pint brf cakes and 1 -1/2 pint coffee cake. Overkill...yeah lol, but I just had to give her a go. Decided to run it outside the first run so my wife didn’t kill me if something went wrong. I even bought a fire extinguisher to make her feel better.
5fdf2bcde1d2360400dbff782990db45.jpg
  • wharfrat, whirledpeas and MushPuppy like this

#2 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

My only way of controlling the temp 250 @15 psi is unplugging and plugging it back in over the next hour. I’ll throw it on a surge protector in the house next run so it’s simply a flick of the switch. Outside of the temp situation I’m golden like showers . Any suggestions on a non heat conducting material to place this thing on in the house next run? I bought the aluminum support base, but it is warm to the touch.

Edited by Oam, 11 October 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,710 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Check out a peice of hardie backer or cement board for setting that beast on. It’s a board used for tile underlayment. I put a peice under my Chiminia to prevent the coals from burning my deck when the pop out. I use the extra peice that I cut off under my element for my still. Same idea really and the stuff is cheap.

Edited by coorsmikey, 11 October 2017 - 07:19 PM.
Removed location specific link

• Oam likes this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,447 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

nice pc! i'm curious why are you having to unplug to control temp/pressure.. 

• Oam likes this

#5 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

nice pc! i'm curious why are you having to unplug to control temp/pressure..

There is no option for adjusting the temperature on this older model. The pressure cooker is made by a company no longer in business, but they used AA parts minus the heating element and controls.The knob is setup more like a timer.
  • wharfrat likes this

#6 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

Check out a peice of hardie backer or cement board for setting that beast on. It’s a board used for tile underlayment. I put a peice under my Chiminia to prevent the coals from burning my deck when the pop out. I use the extra peice that I cut off under my element for my still. Same idea really and the stuff is cheap.

Thank you coorsmikey. I’ll try to find some tomorrow. Also, I’ll be contacting you soon regarding VIP options. I’ve read into the forum and I think it’s time now that I’m cooking.
  • coorsmikey, wharfrat and tailsmcsnails like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,710 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

Thank you coorsmikey. I’ll try to find some tomorrow. Also, I’ll be contacting you soon regarding VIP options. I’ve read into the forum and I think it’s time now that I’m cooking.
Thank you so much for the consideration! Besides the status change and a few extra forums that you get plus real time info from chat there is not a lot added. But to know that your community is gonna carry on with help from gesture just such as this, is awesome and how we keep the Mycotopia here for all of us!
  • Oam likes this

#8 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thank you so much for the consideration! Besides the status change and a few extra forums that you get plus real time info from chat there is not a lot added. But to know that your community is gonna carry on with help from gesture just such as this, is awesome and how we keep the Mycotopia here for all of us!

No worries at all. I’ve taken enough knowledge for a lifetime from here, so it’s time to support my fungi family.
  • tailsmcsnails likes this

#9 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

All noc’d up and ready to colonize.4582680cde10871ac64a051100f5e91f.jpg
830e88e67495700deafc1b7e19693f94.jpg

#10 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,205 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Your model is a actual sterilizer and not a canner. It is actually designed to be used in a medical/laboratory setting for sterilizing surgical tools, needles, etc. but not to run grain and or substrates for hours. So the maximum setting was determined based on such.

Now I'm not sure how element driven sterilizers work. Does the element run the entire time from start to finish? Could the timer be bypassed and hardwired directing to a appropriate toggle switch for on and off? I am NOT advising you to do this but do some research and or observation.

Maybe there is a pressure sensitive sensor that turns the element off when the psi exceeds 17 for example and kicks back on when it drops to 16 psi in effort to maintain a psi of 15 or slightly greater. If that were the case then you wouldn't want to bypass that.

Again I don't know if that's the case but for 69.00 dollars, I think that's what you said you paid, nothing wrong either having to turn it off and plug it back in as long as you don't drop down below 15 psi.

Ask arathu. I think his ancecstory can be traced back to Nikola Tesla....I would bet money on it lol.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • coorsmikey, Oam and tailsmcsnails like this

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,367 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

What did you noc them up with ?

#12 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

What did you noc them up with ?

Pearl oysters. I plan on growing a variety of oysters and a few other choice medicinals. If I get the hang of this I’m heading towards Arathu’s route and bringing them to market. He inspires me.

Edited by Oam, 14 October 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#13 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Your model is a actual sterilizer and not a canner. It is actually designed to be used in a medical/laboratory setting for sterilizing surgical tools, needles, etc. but not to run grain and or substrates for hours. So the maximum setting was determined based on such.

Now I'm not sure how element driven sterilizers work. Does the element run the entire time from start to finish? Could the timer be bypassed and hardwired directing to a appropriate toggle switch for on and off? I am NOT advising you to do this but do some research and or observation.

Maybe there is a pressure sensitive sensor that turns the element off when the psi exceeds 17 for example and kicks back on when it drops to 16 psi in effort to maintain a psi of 15 or slightly greater. If that were the case then you wouldn't want to bypass that.

Again I don't know if that's the case but for 69.00 dollars, I think that's what you said you paid, nothing wrong either having to turn it off and plug it back in as long as you don't drop down below 15 psi.

Ask arathu. I think his ancecstory can be traced back to Nikola Tesla....I would bet money on it lol.

That is correct Microbe ,it is a sterilizer and not a canner. I’m a prior surgical tech, so I’ve run the larger versions and a field hospital(think MASH) version as well. As far as the element light it did go on and off at points, but I simply wanted to bypass the preselected cycle and maintain my [email protected] for my own cycle time. The element and the sterilizer are separate units and do not rely on pressure. I drew a sloppy diagram when I first took it apart. The red towards the bottom is the circular element on the under side of the sterilizer. Excuse the iso I dropped on it. And you are correct, for the price I am happy to turn it on and off with a surge protector on/off switch or unplug it.
f745af7b8eb61eda3ca7c180871c9ae0.jpg

Edited by Oam, 14 October 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#14 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,710 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Looks like you have a leak right by the dial and it’s dripping on the cord which could be dangerous. :)
  • Oam likes this

#15 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Looks like you have a leak right by the dial and it’s dripping on the cord which could be dangerous. :)

Haha, I function on danger. Surfing with sharks, skydiving and leaks on electrical equipment. Just throw in on the list lol.
  • tailsmcsnails likes this

#16 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,205 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

Haha, I function on danger. Surfing with sharks, skydiving and leaks on electrical equipment. Just throw in on the list lol.
That is not a sloppy diagram by any means . I would almost call that art compared to my sketching capabilities!

• Oam likes this

#17 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

That is not a sloppy diagram by any means . I would almost call that art compared to my sketching capabilities!

I say sloppy because I have a fine arts degree and it looks like my daughter made it lol. I’m a little embarrassed as an artist actually haha. I would burn it before my art friends ever saw it. This is what I can actually do . 18x 24 charcoal e99f3414ea05978ae37cc1ae14c6ae69.jpg
  • coorsmikey, Microbe and tailsmcsnails like this

#18 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,710 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

I think it's a great diagram! So good in fact that I was able to save you life maybe by spotting the leak.
  • Microbe, Oam and tailsmcsnails like this

#19 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

I think it's a great diagram! So good in fact that I was able to save you life maybe by spotting the leak.

You are a life saver coorsmikey. I would’ve had big trouble in little sterilizer.

http://gph.is/28Zbr9y

#20 Oam

Oam

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

3 out of 5 jars are running. The three that are running got 2cc’s, and the last two I wanted to see how long they would take to run with 1cc (1 brf,1 coffee). I’ll report back on my findings soon. 4970b092a627b48bd1a3ae8f256b22cd.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!