• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#41 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Just saw one of my pan jars, beautiful rhizo growth on the bottom, but since yesterday, a mass of tiny black dots near the top of grain. Something I've never seen before.
  • Kraven likes this

#42 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

I thought it would be neat to show off some of my other interests.

IMG_20171109_114008.jpg

IMG_20171109_150240.jpg

IMG_20171109_150309.jpg

IMG_20171109_150356.jpg

IMG_20171109_150403.jpg

IMG_20171109_150446.jpg

IMG_20171109_150501.jpg

IMG_20171109_150515.jpg

• coorsmikey, jkdeth and PinkMenace like this

#43 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Yea....my PC will arrive Tuesday and I'm all set. Agar and petri dishes arrived, learning WBS tech now, got a 10 lb bag for 4.00 and w/ very little sunflower seeds. Got Purple Mystic and Golden Teacher about ready to spawn to sub.....seen what I thought was some green flecks in the pans when I shook the grain so waiting to see what happens there with them. I have 6 BRF cakes with snow white good mycelium that has good aggressive rhizo growth. Got white button going too so fruiting set to begin sooner rather than later. Peace

• CatsAndBats likes this

#44 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

Yea....my PC will arrive Tuesday and I'm all set. Agar and petri dishes arrived, learning WBS tech now, got a 10 lb bag for 4.00 and w/ very little sunflower seeds. Got Purple Mystic and Golden Teacher about ready to spawn to sub.....seen what I thought was some green flecks in the pans when I shook the grain so waiting to see what happens there with them. I have 6 BRF cakes with snow white good mycelium that has good aggressive rhizo growth. Got white button going too so fruiting set to begin sooner rather than later. Peace

Wait, how did you sterilize your grain then?

• Kraven likes this

#45 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Wait, how did you sterilize your grain then?

Ha I cheated and ordered 2 grow bags, 10lbs sub poo based / casing included if the pans work out. and the rest I made BRF / Pancake Teck cakes. I ordered 2 bags of rye berries and also 2 quarts of rye berries...didn't know if i was gonna get the PC in time or if I just needed to buy sterile and start up from there. I have WBS now and Rye grass to use for grains....not sure if I'm gonna start buying RB and doing them myself or what tek I will eventually settle on....I can even spawn brf to subs if I want to....so now its dabble with a few teks to see what suites me and then I'll just move forward from there. Peace

#46 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

RB?

• Kraven likes this

#47 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

Rye berries, I seem to like working with grains and they seem to fit my style, BRF cakes are a staple, so now its just try some different grains and tek and figure out what feels comfortable....none of this was around in the late 80's when I first started shroomin, we would just spawn the patches we found each year and over the years they grew and we always had  a supply......now all those pastures / fields are subdivisions so needed to start over again, and now there is so much info, stuf I have been doing my whole life but didn't dawn on me to apply the tek to shrooms. I appreciate all your help and the ton of good content you have posted.

#48 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

RB?

So after three days all the jars / bags are looking great. plus I have 9 BRF cakes that have started and 6 that are fairly far along now...wont be much longer till I will be fruiting the Purple Mystic / Golden Teacher and the White Buttons.....grabbed three fine shiitake mushrooms from the store and they are printing now.....lovin life these days. Peace.

This will be here Tuesday / will have the work bench / flow hood built by then in the shroom room.

http://www.pressurec...er-21-Quart.htm

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Image00013.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Image00015.jpg

Image00016.jpg

Edited by Kraven, 11 November 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#49 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

RB?

So after three days all the jars / bags are looking great. plus I have 9 BRF cakes that have started and 6 that are fairly far along now...wont be much longer till I will be fruiting the Purple Mystic / Golden Teacher and the White Buttons.....grabbed three fine shiitake mushrooms from the store and they are printing now.....lovin life these days. Peace.

This will be here Tuesday / will have the work bench / flow hood built by then in the shroom room.

http://www.pressurec...er-21-Quart.htm

attachicon.gifImage00001.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00002.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00003.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00004.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00005.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00006.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00007.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00008.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00009.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00010.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00011.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00012.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00013.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00014.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00015.jpg

attachicon.gifImage00016.jpg

Lookin' good mr. man! Well done on the labeling and organization too!

• Jeepster and Kraven like this

#50 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Set up the first SGFC today, no perlite yet just temp testing so adjustments can be made to get it ready for some cakes / trays. My spawn is looking good, gave them all a good shake 4 days ago and the all have strong rhizo growth now. I'm in no rush so gonna wait for them to fully colonize before I shake them again and spawn to a sub. Cat whats your thought on this approach, what would you suggest?

Oh found some nice shiitake so getting some prints, will do a bag of them later this winter.

IMG_20171112_131713.jpg

IMG_20171112_131527.jpg

IMG_20171112_131556.jpg

IMG_20171112_131701.jpg

IMG_20171112_101028.jpg

#51 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Set up the first SGFC today, no perlite yet just temp testing so adjustments can be made to get it ready for some cakes / trays. My spawn is looking good, gave them all a good shake 4 days ago and the all have strong rhizo growth now. I'm in no rush so gonna wait for them to fully colonize before I shake them again and spawn to a sub. Cat whats your thought on this approach, what would you suggest?

Oh found some nice shiitake so getting some prints, will do a bag of them later this winter.

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131713.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131527.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131556.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131701.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_101028.jpg

You're not going to like my answer. I'm pretty anti-SGFC. I'm not saying that people haven't successfully used them, but I find them to be nearly impossible to dial in, and I'm not the only one.

"The SGFC is not the easiest and definitely not the most foolproof. If you read any history here our threads are full of us helping people correct their mistakes in using them. They are not advocated here but yet people come here to find out how to fix their issue. I really wish the site that people get the idea that you "must" use a tub that is so full of holes that it will maintain the same Humidity and temperature as the outside of the tub, would at least offer solutions and fixes. So many people follow that tek, then come here and say things like "Why do I only get 3 mushrooms form the bottom of my cake next to the perlite?" Mycotopia answers "Because you're using a SGFC! Tape up your holes and dunk your cake and try again."
Now let me explain myself a lil better before y'all think I am bashing SGFC's. Nevermind, I am bashing them! Just because somebody can grow mushrooms one way, does not make it the best. The SGFC works fairly good under certain circumstances. For example if you live in a region with very high relative humidity. Or you pack that thing so full that the cakes or substrates provide their own humidity. Mushrooms will grow by themselves in nature, they want to grow. I can ad miracle bro fertilizer to my Grow or I can add used motor oil, either way I will get some mushrooms to grow. Just because I added motor oil and mushrooms still grew that does not make is some breakthrough in the OMC for everyone to ad motor oil. It doesn't make the "Best" way to grow. Same goes with SGFC's , they will work sometimes for some people, but it is definitely not the best device for most cake growers.
As my friend Wharfrat likes to say, "go ask the people where you found the SGFC how to fix it" lol Seriously go take a look at the threads here where people use them, you will only find a small handful of successful one compared to the ones with people have issues.

They current trend for fruiting chambers now are tubs with no holes and a loose fitting lid, or tubs with 6-9 filtered holes to prevent gnats from getting in. Personal suggestion would be to have two wholes near the top on each of the long sides of the tub. Two hole directly above the perlite on the small sides of the tub. Cover with felt or old school polyfi, really anything that keeps gnat out and permits air flow."

^^^ Coorsmikey from here: https://mycotopia.ne...-another-style/

The good news is that you can easily rectify this with about 30ft of tape and cover most of those holes. I'd leave one row near sub level and one row near the top of the opposite side, cover with micropore tape or fill with polyfil. I'd go micropore if the room's ambient rH is ~40%, I'd use poly fil if you live in an arid environment. Having one row on top and one row on the bottom forces co2 out of the bottom as o2 comes in at the top. Always have a fan going in your grow room to move the air around. IMHO.

Here's my  go to, I can just change the filtration on those holes dependent upon species and conditions. I use micropore tape mostly.

post-147940-0-46927700-1481478368.jpg

page 5 of my last pan thread: https://mycotopia.ne...ns-again/page-5

• skunk and MsBehavin420 like this

#52 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Nice, I appreciate your insight cat. Tub is a tub I figured....I have a few mono's and a few really small mono's...a little bigger than trays. I live where the humidity is never lower than 70% and mainly around 85% - 95% most of the year....pans / and cubes grow wild here from March till late December....figured the SGFC was good tek since 20 years ago we just grew in cut 55gal  barrels of cow poo and sand with holes in the bottom.... we would run six or eight along the back of the property in the oak hammocks across from the cow fields and we got tons of shrooms. I'm not new, just new to all this weird tek.....mushies to me are simple....but now I want help getting it right indoors. Thanks for the help. I spawned both the GT / PM to grow bags and  substrate [horsy poo based] and was just gonna cut the bag around the mycelium and run them in my SGFC once they fully colonize the sub. Lemme give this a go and if for some weird reason I'm having trouble we can have an I told ya so party and all laugh...me included.....guess some things are just best learned oneself...  I just have sneaking suspicion that I'm gonna crush this grow and at least change your mind about my skills or make myself look foolish.

Five pounds sterile horse poo sub from Out-grow

IMG_20171112_153706.jpg

Split into 2 grow bags 2.5 lbs each of sub and 1 lb of fully colonized rye berries shook at 30% and at 100% again to checked for contams.

[ Purple Mystic / Golden Teacher]

IMG_20171112_154510.jpg

IMG_20171112_154531.jpg

IMG_20171112_154540.jpg

IMG_20171112_154920.jpg

IMG_20171112_154959.jpg

IMG_20171112_155155.jpg

IMG_20171112_155501.jpg

Edited by Kraven, 12 November 2017 - 04:27 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#53 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

Nice, I appreciate your insight cat. Tub is a tub I figured....I have a few mono's and a few really small mono's...a little bigger than trays. I live where the humidity is never lower than 70% and mainly around 85% - 95% most of the year....pans / and cubes grow wild here from March till late December....figured the SGFC was good tek since 20 years ago we just grew in cut 55gal  barrels of cow poo and sand with holes in the bottom.... we would run six or eight along the back of the property in the oak hammocks across from the cow fields and we got tons of shrooms. I'm not new, just new to all this weird tek.....mushies to me are simple....but now I want help getting it right indoors. Thanks for the help. I spawned both the GT / PM to grow bags and  substrate [horsy poo based] and was just gonna cut the bag around the mycelium and run them in my SGFC once they fully colonize the sub. Lemme give this a go and if for some weird reason I'm having trouble we can have an I told ya so party and all laugh...me included.....guess some things are just best learned oneself...  I just have sneaking suspicion that I'm gonna crush this grow and at least change your mind about my skills or make myself look foolish.

Five pounds sterile horse poo sub from Out-grow

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_153706.jpg

Split into 2 grow bags 2.5 lbs each of sub and 1 lb of fully colonized rye berries shook at 30% and at 100% again to checked for contams.

[ Purple Mystic / Golden Teacher]

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_154510.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_154531.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_154540.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_154920.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_154959.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_155155.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_155501.jpg

Oh I don't doubt your skills, I've seen your bunker thread. I'm just anti-SGFC :tongue:

• Juthro and Kraven like this

#54 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131713.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131527.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131556.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_131701.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171112_101028.jpg

You're not going to like my answer. I'm pretty anti-SGFC. I'm not saying that people haven't successfully used them, but I find them to be nearly impossible to dial in, and I'm not the only one.

"The SGFC is not the easiest and definitely not the most foolproof. If you read any history here our threads are full of us helping people correct their mistakes in using them. They are not advocated here but yet people come here to find out how to fix their issue. I really wish the site that people get the idea that you "must" use a tub that is so full of holes that it will maintain the same Humidity and temperature as the outside of the tub, would at least offer solutions and fixes. So many people follow that tek, then come here and say things like "Why do I only get 3 mushrooms form the bottom of my cake next to the perlite?" Mycotopia answers "Because you're using a SGFC! Tape up your holes and dunk your cake and try again."
Now let me explain myself a lil better before y'all think I am bashing SGFC's. Nevermind, I am bashing them! Just because somebody can grow mushrooms one way, does not make it the best. The SGFC works fairly good under certain circumstances. For example if you live in a region with very high relative humidity. Or you pack that thing so full that the cakes or substrates provide their own humidity. Mushrooms will grow by themselves in nature, they want to grow. I can ad miracle bro fertilizer to my Grow or I can add used motor oil, either way I will get some mushrooms to grow. Just because I added motor oil and mushrooms still grew that does not make is some breakthrough in the OMC for everyone to ad motor oil. It doesn't make the "Best" way to grow. Same goes with SGFC's , they will work sometimes for some people, but it is definitely not the best device for most cake growers.
As my friend Wharfrat likes to say, "go ask the people where you found the SGFC how to fix it" lol Seriously go take a look at the threads here where people use them, you will only find a small handful of successful one compared to the ones with people have issues.

They current trend for fruiting chambers now are tubs with no holes and a loose fitting lid, or tubs with 6-9 filtered holes to prevent gnats from getting in. Personal suggestion would be to have two wholes near the top on each of the long sides of the tub. Two hole directly above the perlite on the small sides of the tub. Cover with felt or old school polyfi, really anything that keeps gnat out and permits air flow."

^^^ Coorsmikey from here: https://mycotopia.ne...-another-style/

The good news is that you can easily rectify this with about 30ft of tape and cover most of those holes. I'd leave one row near sub level and one row near the top of the opposite side, cover with micropore tape or fill with polyfil. I'd go micropore if the room's ambient rH is ~40%, I'd use poly fil if you live in an arid environment. Having one row on top and one row on the bottom forces co2 out of the bottom as o2 comes in at the top. Always have a fan going in your grow room to move the air around. IMHO.

Here's my  go to, I can just change the filtration on those holes dependent upon species and conditions. I use micropore tape mostly.

post-147940-0-46927700-1481478368.jpg

page 5 of my last pan thread: https://mycotopia.ne...ns-again/page-5

Here is the 66qt mono's I built, I just don't have the spawn / substrate to get them started. Holes are all 1/2 and down 2" from the top...

66bt fruiter.jpg

In no time i;ll have that mono and a few others going, just trying to get myself up and going, really dont wanna dis ya cause I resepct your skills and knowledge.....lets see if i fugg this up, thanks again for the help. Peace

Edited by Kraven, 12 November 2017 - 05:01 PM.

• Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#55 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

So I had some rye berries that I hit with Agaricus bisporus ready to spawn to substrate so after a very interesting view point from CAB, I grabbed two Chinese take out trays that's exactly 2.5 inches in depth and great for splitting a jar of rye berries.....here is my "Take out Tray Tek" ;)

IMG_20171112_201957.jpg

IMG_20171112_202131.jpg

IMG_20171112_202534.jpg

IMG_20171112_203346.jpg

IMG_20171112_203350.jpg

IMG_20171112_204007.jpg

IMG_20171112_204158.jpg

IMG_20171112_204209.jpg

IMG_20171112_204542.jpg

IMG_20171112_204545.jpg

#56 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

I love the take out trays.
  • Kraven likes this

#57 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thanks man, they are easy and pretty straight forward to a n00b like me.

#58 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'm new to pans, but research indicates they would be great for pans, seems pans like the shallower substrate. But I have fruoted cubensis spawned to a take out container.
  • Kraven likes this

#59 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:55 AM

I'm new to pans, but research indicates they would be great for pans, seems pans like the shallower substrate. But I have fruoted cubensis spawned to a take out container.

Good morning and thanks for droppin by, these are spawned with Agaricus bisporus so interested to see how this approach works, eventually they will get spawned to big mono's for weight run, just need some clean caps.

#60 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 811 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

4 pans of  cubes and 2 pans of white button spawned from grain to poo based sub, set aside to colonize. All my cakes have show signs of germ and are quickly beginning to colonize. Need to make agar, have work to do with my current dishes......bought store bought so maybe thats why so many contams.....I'll feel better tomorrow when my PC arrives and I can get right with my prep and gear.Thanks for peekin in. Peace.

IMG_20171113_073609.jpg

IMG_20171113_073658.jpg

IMG_20171113_073812.jpg

IMG_20171113_073903.jpg

IMG_20171113_073920.jpg

IMG_20171113_073952.jpg

IMG_20171113_074030.jpg

IMG_20171113_074043.jpg

IMG_20171113_074119.jpg

IMG_20171113_074134.jpg

IMG_20171113_074200.jpg

IMG_20171113_074300.jpg