Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Today = 1 year tobacco/cigarette-free anniversary. :)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

One year ago today I stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes.

I had been quit for 3 years before I unfortunately picked up smoking again when I was hospitalised in an inpatient psychiatric unit about 1 and 1/2 years ago. With not much to do outside of scheduled 'groups' and a lot of free time, the option to smoke a cigarette during "fresh air/smoking time" outside was too tempting. One of the other patients there let me bum cigarettes because we were pretty buddy buddy until his condition deteriorated.

It was a mistake to pick up that first cigarette. As soon as I got discharged from the hospital I started buying my own packs and smoking more and more. I then had to attend an "after care program", which is a program you get transported to and from each day. It consisted of 5 hours of therapy, education, and groups on various topics 5 days every week for 6 months. You don't have to go to these programs, but it's a good idea to do so as you'll be engaging with mental health professionals all day most days of the week. It's to evaluate you over the long-term to see if you're doing well, taking care of yourself, staying out of trouble, and so on. They were going to let me go after just 3 months, but I told them I wanted to stay the full time. Prior to this hospitalization I'd been 100% stable and non-hospitalized for 8 years so I wanted to be sure I'd be OK.

When I didn't have my own cigarettes I'd bum them from the other people going there. We got a 10 minute break outside in the smoking or non-smoking area between every group, so basically lots of time to smoke and socialize. It didn't help that all of the interesting people all smoked so I had to be around smokers to socialize.

I finished that program 1 year ago now and I'm very glad that I have made it one year tobacco/cigarette free. I'm always going to keep in mind how easy it is to get hooked into that terrible, smelly habit again. I do still occasionally use an electronic cigarette/vaping setup.

Also now today it's been 1 year and 1/2 since I was hospitalized which is another great anniversary. Once you get to 1 year post-hospitalization it's a pretty good indication that you'll continue to be fine. I'll be happier once I get that to 2 years, but considering I only got sick again because I stopped taking my meds, and the fact that these meds kept me healthy and symptom-free for 8 entire years, I'm pretty optimistic.

Thanks for having taken the time to read this. It's good to be celebrating two anniversaries that are about me being healthier and taking better care of myself.

• phlegmbae, Myc, Alder Logs and 3 others like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

Good for you Neim! That is definitely something to be proud of! There will come a day you will smell a cigarette or see someone smoking and you will naturally think why the hell would someone do that. Then you will no that your are truly free of that addiction.

#3 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

Well done!

I've been to psych ward about four times due to awakening psychic senses,shamanic states others didn't understand so feared the change of personality and had me rounded up.

I found out that if it's inevitable. Sign yourself in. Even if the cops take you there you still have that option. This gets you more perks. Like the ability to leave the hospital grounds to go for a walk. You get out quicker too. That's how it is where I am anyway. Hope you never have to go back. They're quite mad- the staff haha!

#4 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,415 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

Yeah, being an inpatient in a psych ward will make you hit the smokes again, and in my case a few other things as well lol. My reality testing was better than theirs...

Congrats, incidentally.

Edited by scott_1971_h, 04 November 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

Congratulations. I've helped a half dozen friends quit and get a whole bunch of satisfaction in seeing them proud of their accomplishment.

Cigarettes are nasty addictive and habitual.

Now, keeping your body from switching from nicotine to food is another challenge :)

#6 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I'm very happy to have stopped smoking again and I really hope I don't ever pick it up again.

Good for you Neim! That is definitely something to be proud of! There will come a day you will smell a cigarette or see someone smoking and you will naturally think why the hell would someone do that. Then you will no that your are truly free of that addiction.

Oh, after the first month I had quit smoking I could suddenly smell smokers long before I could see them. It was nice to be able to easily smell all of the flowers this past Spring. Food tastes better when you quit smoking, too.

It really does smell icky, but when you smoke cigarettes it damages your sense of smell, which is linked to your sense of taste, so you don't notice it.

#7 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:59 AM

I got up one morning around 2002 and I just said this cigarette taste like shit.  And I just quit. Just like that. No patches, no other drugs to help me. I just stopped.

All  my life I was told if I did not stop I would get lung cancer and die.  Well I did not die, I got fat.

How Fat Did i get, well when I quit I weighed 155 pounds. withing six months I weighed about 285 pounds.  Now I weigh 220 pounds the lowest I weighed since I gained all that excess weight. Here is an image to show just how fat I was before I stopped eating like a pig.  

Here are two images from 2004 in Thailand. One by David Cox who came on  my excursion to Thailand only. He was afraid to go to Cambodia.

IMGA0613.jpg

The other was at the Hin Lad waterfall on Koh Samui also.

The image of me in the water was taken by an American married to a Filipino girl who was there with her Ten year old daughter.  The friend whom i gave a tour of Koh Samui took this image. Art by me.

DSCN3255abc.jpg

mjshroomer/man of knowledge

• niemandgeist and Justintime like this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,315 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

It's weird how every time "this thread" pops-up I'm trying to quit again. 

This time I've decided to go on the patch...........and never quit the patch. That's right, instead of resisting smoking or chewing until my eyes catch fire, I'm just going on the patch for good. 

That is all. 

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,763 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Congratulations!

butts-in-glass.jpg

357e66421dd78b45a9e6aa137ab64863.jpg

300px-Butts_OCquiz.jpg

4.5-cig-butts-yr-2.jpg

• niemandgeist likes this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,763 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

One of the best things that has kept me from repeating the quitting process, after too many tries to count them all, is to visualize cigarette butts in my food and drinks.   After I had finally come to a point where I knew that to never smoke again meant to never take even one puff, and I had started back several times, even after being off for years, I developed COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), which I have to this day.  

The thing that sets off my COPD and instantly makes my bronchials start to fill up is the slightest smell of a cigarette.   Someone smoking 100 feet down a city sidewalk sets it off.   I haven't been a smoker for over twenty five years this time.   If you smoke now, you may have COPD in your future, and while it doesn't kill nearly as fast as cancer, it can mean you can't be where smokers are.   It keeps me from the disc golf course when there is a smoker in the group.   It keeps me from outdoor gatherings, as smelling the smoke is just that physically unbearable.  

So, do yourself a favor and quit now.

Edited by Alder Logs, 07 November 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#11 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

Did someone say free cigarettes?

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

I've considered vaping as a path to quitting cigarettes. Anyone tried that?

#13 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

I smoke now but I gave up by playing an entertaining video game for hrs on end. Lots of sleep. Lots of fresh salad. Lasted three months. I saw a friend smoking and had "Just one".

Rubber band on the wrist. Snap it every time your mind says "Cigarette time".

#14 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

It's weird how every time "this thread" pops-up I'm trying to quit again. 

This time I've decided to go on the patch...........and never quit the patch. That's right, instead of resisting smoking or chewing until my eyes catch fire, I'm just going on the patch for good. 

That is all. 

Hey MYC, I hope you can quit.  If you do make it, then watch the weight, It sneaked up so fast on me when I wuite, that is the fat snuck up and engulfed me bod from neck to feet. Yes I even get edema (swollen pregnant ladies) feet..

So I hope you stop. I did not realize how bad it was until I stopped.  Sometimes before I quit,, my landlord would knock on my door and say, "Hey John, are you smoking in your room?" And I would sharply reply, "np, not me." 

Of course he knew I had been smoking.  One day about 3 weeks or so of no smoke.  I got on the bus and was sitting in the front and this street person, who reeked from the intense odor fom smoking tobacco sat next to me and that is when I realized just  how bad I must have smelled to others from that smoke.

Good luck there, MYC>

#15 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,080 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

Drinking Chia seeds soaked in water is good for weight loss. They make you feel full. Protein.

#16 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

I've considered vaping as a path to quitting cigarettes. Anyone tried that?

It helped me. back when I was going to that day program for aftercare treatment, having an electronic cigarette allowed me to hang around the smokers without actually smoking cigarettes. It also allowed me to inhale and exhale "smoke" (the vapor) that wasn't as harmful to me as actual cigarette smoke.

The main thing that let me totally quit, though, was completely stopping hanging out with smokers on a regular basis, multiple times out of the day.

I still have my vaping/e-cig setup and I occasionally buy the juice for it. I get very minty e-juice which is nice and refreshing, but when I do use my vape I don't constantly puff on it like I'm chain smoking.

I also like that I have it in case I do go out where I know people might be smoking and socializing. This way I'd have something to do that isn't actually smoking a cigarette if I go socialize with anyone who smokes.

It can definitely help, and it seems to help lots of people, but it won't necessarily help you to quit.

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,763 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

What is good for me is that the e-cigs don't set off my COPD, so when some friends come to disc golf, they bring their vape setups to spare me working my ass off to stay upwind.  

• Juthro and niemandgeist like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!