#361 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

Im struggling trimming this. Its so frosty i think i will leave it how it is. I have a pretty good surgical hand those sugar leaves are so tightly packed and sticky it destroys the flower when i try to trim them more them i have. Those are some dark trichomes.....makes the bud appear to be coated in a thin layer of brown syrup which explains why I need to wipe my gloves and pruning shears diwn with ISO every few flowers!

e4c821bed987150e90e22d694bfc11a3.jpg9363cb0cf1c20576300ad48821973072.jpgc07e1c9ea575d954893037eeff20c2c7.jpgecd05151f19b188881e586a7fb976f54.jpg
  • Myc, Lakegal7 and Kraven like this

#362 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

I think I got it. Is that a ok trim?1a3829edd945026a53a956159d98d831.jpg
  • Lakegal7 and Kraven like this

#363 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

It works bro!... I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.
  • Microbe and Kraven like this

#364 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Well my first contamination.......looks like cobweb mold. It was the only flower to have it appear. Im thinking about waterung curing it just so i can see exactly how that process works. I hear it leaves with pretty much odorless and tasteless bud but i also hear it is very potent which make no semse to me because the resin glands being washed away. I might just dry it out and toss it in with my trim and make bubble hash out of it......

Attached Thumbnails

• a76d16b24bac9757fd74118aed137c77.jpg

Edited by Myc, 16 May 2018 - 12:17 PM.

• Kraven likes this

#365 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

Eeek! I'm not sure if it's cobweb - but it's certainly doing you no favors. 

That's some tasty looking bud in the above photos. 

I try not to handle the bud very much. The sugar leaves tend to break off in the storage jug eventually. 

I gather up all the shake and dissolve the goods into cooking oil after enough accumulates. 

It's better to have all of those resins on the herb as opposed to being smeared all over tools, gloves, etc. 

My .02

• Microbe, Lakegal7 and Kraven like this

#366 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

Eeek! I'm not sure if it's cobweb - but it's certainly doing you no favors.

That's some tasty looking bud in the above photos.
I try not to handle the bud very much. The sugar leaves tend to break off in the storage jug eventually.
I gather up all the shake and dissolve the goods into cooking oil after enough accumulates.
It's better to have all of those resins on the herb as opposed to being smeared all over tools, gloves, etc.
My .02

Most of them i keave about 1" of stem to hold onto while i trim. So i can leave the sugar leaves on and they will fall off on their own? How ling does it take? Also off subject here but when do i drop the B 61 packets in?

#367 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

I'm glad you asked. Here are some photos to help demonstrate what I'm describing. 

The first photo gives an overall view of grading and selection.

Containers with gold lids are filled with bud which came from within 6" of the lights.

Containers with silver lids are filled with bud which came from the 6" to the 12" range from the lights.

Containers with green or black lids are filled with "hash"/bottom trim - cooking oil, give-away herb for the needy, etc. 

The second photo demonstrates the state of the herb. That particular jug I dumped out was harvested in early December 2017. She didn't come out of the curing process for smoking until Feb. 14th. That is the "coffee table jug" so you can see the condition of the herb after 5 months. 

The third photo shows the "drop" or shake which falls off the herb.

And the fourth photo shows how the jugs build up reddish brown hash over time. This will be "washed" eventually and extracted into cooking oil or solvent extracted and evaporated.

The Boveda packages are used from the beginning of the curing cycle. 

I start with 63% packages and allow the herb to stabilize for at least 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks the 63% package is swapped for a 58% package for long-term storage. 

The best of the best top buds find their way into glass quart jars. I use the smaller boveda packages for this method of preservation since I'm not into the jars - except on special occasions for guests and showing-off. 

The final photo is a (sort of) picture of the experimental "wine cabinet". I'm testing to see how long cannabis can be stored using this system. Samples from 2016 still kick some serious ass. Matter of fact, I may fire up some of the Master Kush this morning for a test. 

I hope this helps. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180516_085102 - Copy.jpg
  • 20180516_085201_001 - Copy.jpg
  • 20180516_085231 - Copy.jpg
  • 20180516_085514 - Copy.jpg
  • 20180516_091922 - Copy.jpg

• Microbe and Lakegal7 like this

#368 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

I'm glad you asked. Here are some photos to help demonstrate what I'm describing.

The first photo gives an overall view of grading and selection.
Containers with gold lids are filled with bud which came from within 6" of the lights.
Containers with silver lids are filled with bud which came from the 6" to the 12" range from the lights.
Containers with green or black lids are filled with "hash"/bottom trim - cooking oil, give-away herb for the needy, etc.

The second photo demonstrates the state of the herb. That particular jug I dumped out was harvested in early December 2017. She didn't come out of the curing process for smoking until Feb. 14th. That is the "coffee table jug" so you can see the condition of the herb after 5 months.

The third photo shows the "drop" or shake which falls off the herb.
And the fourth photo shows how the jugs build up reddish brown hash over time. This will be "washed" eventually and extracted into cooking oil or solvent extracted and evaporated.

The Boveda packages are used from the beginning of the curing cycle.
I start with 63% packages and allow the herb to stabilize for at least 2 weeks.
After 2 weeks the 63% package is swapped for a 58% package for long-term storage.

The best of the best top buds find their way into glass quart jars. I use the smaller boveda packages for this method of preservation since I'm not into the jars - except on special occasions for guests and showing-off.
The final photo is a (sort of) picture of the experimental "wine cabinet". I'm testing to see how long cannabis can be stored using this system. Samples from 2016 still kick some serious ass. Matter of fact, I may fire up some of the Master Kush this morning for a test.

I hope this helps.

Why do you sort and package them by distance from light? Also why wouldn't you grow them all 6" away from the light? Do you use CMH bulbs?

#369 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

Day 9 of Veg.....i will pull them out tomorrow and give them ine last little trim and finish shaving their legs as @stonestare likes to call it........25% of my pull was all popcorn from the lower part of the plant. I try to keep up with it but give up because my knee is still messed from a basketball injury back in September so i have to pull them out of the tent to work on them and its tedious to pull them out to pull a few new flowers popping put every few days. I could scrap these cheap LED panels and get some better ones .......

5ba07b8cea126569199a0db9744493f0.jpg00739ff74d197e8173fe22a4e1ef4498.jpg

My 3rd set of clones still no roots day 9 which is ok for me based in how long i bloom for (9-10 weeks). Im hoping i can give some away instead of tossing them or maybe plant them some where in a park and let them grow wild and sprrad their seed. I would never visit them though accept for maybe a hike where i can spy on them from a diatance just to see how they are doing. It will belong to Mother Earth for her to take back to the dirt in which it came from. Who knows if i do it and visit 10 years later, there may be an acre of wild grape god.

69a864bc4052d6a47d377fd4a03e3933.jpg

Sime random notes. During the last 3 weeks of bloom Im going to run half the plants just like i did last time using UVB 15.0 reptile bulbs for 4 hours a day in 2 hour intervals and then the others without it. If I see no difference then i will scrap them. If i do see a difference then i will play around with frequency and exposure times to dial it in. Im guessing it helps make them frosty. Too much will burn the trichomes right off the tops so I have to be careful for sure. They are always off when working in my tent and i always where UV glasses even with my regular LED lights which have a few UVA diodes.

Thoughts on UV and trichomes and resin production?

To finish out the post i want to ask 1 more question.......why is it called Grape God when its 60% Indica Dominant? Seems backwards to me seems how the Grape Fruit genetics are Sativa. I think its the grapefruit that gives it those pretty Fan leaves with dark purple veins and obviously the grapefruit aroma and flavor. Maybe they are more dominant even though they make up only 40% of the genetics and the only reason why god was used in the cross is for plant shape and growth. What god bud taste and smell like? There is nothing skuny with this strain what so ever even when burned.

I lied one more question.......im hoping to pop some beans soon and curious to how any of you select your phenotypes such as what is the first thing you look for all the way through the last thing. Im assuming yields and potency is the first followed by terpines perhaps.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Edit: dang it i thought my clones look better then they did 5 days ago which i figured it would be the other way around. A few them grew sime fan leaves back out. Should i trim them back or leave it? I speculating that means it probably has rooted they just have not poked through the barrel yet.......

Edited by Microbe, 16 May 2018 - 03:07 PM.

• Kraven likes this

#370 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Why do you sort and package them by distance from light? Also why wouldn't you grow them all 6" away from the light? Do you use CMH bulbs?

I suppose the grading thing is something I read once in "Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible". 

The distance of the bud from the light just is what it is. It grows where it grows. The stuff on the top is up top - the stuff lower down is ...lower down. Maybe I'm confused by your question. My particular choice of growing method may vary greatly from your own since I only use low-stress topping until flower. I'll trim off the lowest branches of the plant upon introduction to flower but that's the only "hard pruning" they ever see. 

Also, I grow a large number of plants from seed rather than clones. 

I use HID lighting. Specifically - High Pressure Sodium. Nothing special. I bought my own ballast cores and built them myself. Additionally, I just buy off-the-shelf replacement lamps for $14 bucks. The lamp enclosures are sealed and ducted so I'm able to keep the glass just a couple of inches above the tips of the canopy. 

#371 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

I suppose the grading thing is something I read once in "Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible".
The distance of the bud from the light just is what it is. It grows where it grows. The stuff on the top is up top - the stuff lower down is ...lower down. Maybe I'm confused by your question. My particular choice of growing method may vary greatly from your own since I only use low-stress topping until flower. I'll trim off the lowest branches of the plant upon introduction to flower but that's the only "hard pruning" they ever see.
Also, I grow a large number of plants from seed rather than clones.

I use HID lighting. Specifically - High Pressure Sodium. Nothing special. I bought my own ballast cores and built them myself. Additionally, I just buy off-the-shelf replacement lamps for $14 bucks. The lamp enclosures are sealed and ducted so I'm able to keep the glass just a couple of inches above the tips of the canopy.
I was confused and I see what your saying now. I thought you were talking about plant A was 12" away from the light and plant b was grown 6" away frim the light. You are talking about from the canopy down correct. That makes a lot of sense and i have already been doing that. All the lower stuff goes in its own jar as they are lighter in color and not as dense. I have noticed that the lower stuff has better aroma for some reason......maybe it cures quicker.....
  • Myc and Kraven like this

#372 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

That's interesting that you've shared your assessment of the bottom buds. 

I too, have noticed that the bottom trim is way more aromatic than the other materials. It would be interesting to find that the bottom stuff is actually better for extractions when looking for terpenes as opposed to THC. 

Seriously, you just never know when you're going to learn something new in this hobby. ;)

#373 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 4,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

That's interesting that you've shared your assessment of the bottom buds.
I too, have noticed that the bottom trim is way more aromatic than the other materials. It would be interesting to find that the bottom stuff is actually better for extractions when looking for terpenes as opposed to THC.
Seriously, you just never know when you're going to learn something new in this hobby. ;)

I would speculate that the terpenes are about the same per plant density but because your tops buds are almost always more dense, i believe the terpenes dont get released as easily.....not sure releases is accurate but im thinking if i tore apart a dense bud, it would have the same intensity of aroma in the center. Does that make sense? Probably not lol.....im learning to grow and have yet to go down the rabbit hole of plant biology and science. I do think you are right about using the lower buds for analyzing terpenes when selecting phenotypes.

The little fluff that pops up early flower is the first to give me that strong grapefruit aroma of this strain and lets say I didnt want that, theoretically i know early into bloom not to waste too much time on the plant.....theoretically because i couldnt see why noone would want to bring her to fruition.....maybe if I were a breeder i would pull it from my garden if if it didnt have the aroma I was looking for or intended it to have.

It smokes really well though and is smooth with bursting flavor but i can tell there is a difference in THC content just by looking at the trichomes. So again I would agree with what you said. You could use the top buds of another strain and then add the lower flowers from anither strain to mix and match flavors/aromas without throwing the target THC content off from the final product.

I almist want to put more energy into studying plants then i do mushrooms but shhhhhhhh......dont let the mushrooms hear me say that because they have certainly blessed me in ways only other myco's would understand. My learning process with mushrooms is slowing down.....not that I know everything but i have studued so much that most of the info still needing to learn is either too technical for me to comprehend and or i see no benifit in acquiring the knowledge.

I speculate that i know 1% there is to know about the science and biology of plants.....they need water, nutrients, O2/CO2, and light to complete photosynthesis...that's about it lmao.

Considering there is probably 100 times the amount of info on plants as there is mushrooms currently......that is a very very deep rabbit hole just for C3 plants alone.

Looky there......its been awhile before i went off like a pinball allover the place.....I love me some good ole terpenes!
  • Myc and Kraven like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!