6 replies to this topic

#1 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Hello Everyone!

I made a post about this already but thought I could get more input in starting a thread. Being the engineer that I am I've decided to make an attempt at a fully automated fruiting chamber and would like some input. To start off. I have all of this set up in a crawl space in my house that is kept at a constant 70 degrees by a space heater. I have a large 110 qt tub that has only 5 holes cut in it.

First is for the hydrotherm. I have one of these for my snakes terrarium and it works great thats why I decided to get another one for this. The second hole is for a fogger that I plug into the hydrotherm so whenever the humidity gets lower than 90 in automatically kicks on and fogs the chamber, I also have a heating pad plugged into the hydrotherm so whenever the temp goes below 75 it kicks the heating pad on. I basically treated this exactly like my snakes tank. I have a analog humidity gage and thermometer as well because I have found that you usually have to set the hydrotherm off a little from what you want to get the right humidity.

The third hole is for a 24/7 aquarium air pump that is running through a hydroponic humidifier/filter so there is a constant supply of fresh air. The last 2 holes are for air circulation. Because I felt that just an aquarium air pump probably wouldn't get the job completely done, I bolted a computer fan blowing in through a filter on one side and about a 6 in by 6 in hole, with a fitler duct taped over it, on the other side to allow air to escape and push the co2 out. I have this fan set up on a timer to kick on for 1 hour every 6 hours. I let it on for an hour because the plug I used for it is only 6v so its running at half its capacity and its losing some of its force blowing through the filter.

I then also have 2 LED lights. one 3000K yellow light spectrum and one 6000K blue light spectrum. I just got the blue light spectrum to help give it more of a full spectrum of light. I keep a towel over the top of my chamber so I don't burn the mycelium But the ambient light can still seep in through the sides. they both kick on at the same time for a 12/12 cycle.

I keep the bottom lined with pearlite about 1 1/2 in think to help maintain humidity. The fogger is kind of just back up, and thats basically it. I still catch myself checking on it just as often as I would a non automated system but thats just habit. Like I said though, this has been my first attempt at a fully automated system, and I am pretty proud of it. If anyone has any pointers please let me know. I am open to all suggestions! After all isn't discussion why we're here?20171113_111423.jpg 20171113_111430.jpg

Edited by Marleyahu, 13 November 2017 - 04:01 PM.

• MushPuppy, tuftygrasses and dashrove like this

#2 stoogie

stoogie

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

Hi, nice looking set up. I've not made a fruiting chamber as yet but am doing some research so was good to see yours. Look like you have got it well set up! I've been considering how a raspberry pi or arduino might be used to run the fruiting chamber too. How have you found yours, have you made any modifications?

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Hello Everyone!

I made a post about this already but thought I could get more input in starting a thread. Being the engineer that I am I've decided to make an attempt at a fully automated fruiting chamber and would like some input. To start off. I have all of this set up in a crawl space in my house that is kept at a constant 70 degrees by a space heater. I have a large 110 qt tub that has only 5 holes cut in it.

First is for the hydrotherm. I have one of these for my snakes terrarium and it works great thats why I decided to get another one for this. The second hole is for a fogger that I plug into the hydrotherm so whenever the humidity gets lower than 90 in automatically kicks on and fogs the chamber, I also have a heating pad plugged into the hydrotherm so whenever the temp goes below 75 it kicks the heating pad on. I basically treated this exactly like my snakes tank. I have a analog humidity gage and thermometer as well because I have found that you usually have to set the hydrotherm off a little from what you want to get the right humidity.

The third hole is for a 24/7 aquarium air pump that is running through a hydroponic humidifier/filter so there is a constant supply of fresh air. The last 2 holes are for air circulation. Because I felt that just an aquarium air pump probably wouldn't get the job completely done, I bolted a computer fan blowing in through a filter on one side and about a 6 in by 6 in hole, with a fitler duct taped over it, on the other side to allow air to escape and push the co2 out. I have this fan set up on a timer to kick on for 1 hour every 6 hours. I let it on for an hour because the plug I used for it is only 6v so its running at half its capacity and its losing some of its force blowing through the filter.

I then also have 2 LED lights. one 3000K yellow light spectrum and one 6000K blue light spectrum. I just got the blue light spectrum to help give it more of a full spectrum of light. I keep a towel over the top of my chamber so I don't burn the mycelium But the ambient light can still seep in through the sides. they both kick on at the same time for a 12/12 cycle.

I keep the bottom lined with pearlite about 1 1/2 in think to help maintain humidity. The fogger is kind of just back up, and thats basically it. I still catch myself checking on it just as often as I would a non automated system but thats just habit. Like I said though, this has been my first attempt at a fully automated system, and I am pretty proud of it. If anyone has any pointers please let me know. I am open to all suggestions! After all isn't discussion why we're here?attachicon.gif20171113_111423.jpgattachicon.gif20171113_111430.jpg

I think microbe said 5k was the temp he shoots for, I can't speak to it as I'm just getting into light research.

Why are you doing such a small chamber? If one is going to automate an FC (which I'm not a huge fan of anymore), one would be better served automating a larger one IMHO. I'm assuming that it's security/stealth.

• Spooner likes this

#4 Trian3

Trian3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

I'm considering building a fruiting chamber myself.  I have a Raspberry Pi, but have been putting off investing time in learning how to "make it dance", as it were.  I figure a fully automated fruiting chamber would be the ideal scenario in which to play and learn.  

It seems, however, some people don't care for FC's.  Why, I don't know.  Perhaps it creates a potential situation in which you're TOO hands off and get lazy which can lead to situations in which a problem arises, but you're completely unaware due to overly misplaced trust in the machine.  That's my best guess.

On a related note, Willy Myco (I know not everyone's a fan) just came out with a vid on this very subject.  It's a little low-tek, but you can check it out below.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Trian3, 11 January 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Automatic fruiting chambers (I've built two or three) can be difficult to dial in and don't increase yields more than tubs that are just misted IMHO/IME. If I had my druthers I'd build a fruiting room but I'm not there yet.

• coorsmikey and PJammer24 like this

#6 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

I think microbe said 5k was the temp he shoots for, I can't speak to it as I'm just getting into light research.

Why are you doing such a small chamber? If one is going to automate an FC (which I'm not a huge fan of anymore), one would be better served automating a larger one IMHO. I'm assuming that it's security/stealth.

Automatic fruiting chambers (I've built two or three) can be difficult to dial in and don't increase yields more than tubs that are just misted IMHO/IME. If I had my druthers I'd build a fruiting room but I'm not there yet.

reminiscing in old posts now that it has been almost a year.....   My automated chamber has now been upgraded to 10 different tubs and I also built a room   :biggrin:  I can't believe its only been a year HA. I may have a problem now that I think about it  :tinfoil:

• coorsmikey likes this

#7 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 258 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 03:08 PM

If I had my druthers I'd build a fruiting room but I'm not there yet.

Ha! Yes, a fruiting room!!

I would suspect that the crawl space is a tough environment with respect to airborn contaminants. You might find a problem with your setup from pumping in ambient air:

I can't really see it well, but your fan filter looks really course and I don't think that sort does much for microparticles that could contaminate.

Also, the air pulled in from your humidifier is not filtered either from what I can see.

I think we all have the desire to automate this stuff. I certainly do and will some time give it a try although I have not yet done it.

I sort of like this idea. A bit of a compromise between a FC and a fruiting room.

https://mycotopia.ne...-tek/?hl=martha

I have an old chest freezer that's not being used. I'm thinking that it might be a great FC. Insulated and rather large. Or, pack the floor of freezer with sub, put a light, heater and internal fan under the lid and pop the lid when you can for some mist and fan.

Hmmm just now thought of the freezer idea but that might be a rather stealthy rig.

Edited by raymycoto, Yesterday, 03:15 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!