• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Earthling

Earthling

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

I've recently started using the Bokashi method of fermenting plant-based food scraps being as I don't have room for a good compost and my old worm bin has be de-escalated and de-commissioned for the time being... So, I've been using EM-1 infused bran to break down food scraps anaerobically, HAS ANYONE USED BOKASHI AS A WAY TO DEAL WITH CONTAMINATED GRAIN JARS? Think this would be an ethical solution if it's not too bad of a contam?? 

• PsyBearknot and Justintime like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Ill pull up a rocking chair for this

I wonder if it might go better in the mushroom forums since it is talking about contaminated grain jars and that forum gets more traffic but let’s see where this goes
  • Earthling likes this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 2,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

I have been doing some research on Bokashi. There are a lot of youtube videos on this subject. It is a fascinating topic for sure. 

• Earthling likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

• OG VIP
  • 9,216 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

It could get messy!
  • Earthling likes this

#5 Earthling

Earthling

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

I wonder if it might go better in the mushroom forums since it is talking about contaminated grain jars and that forum gets more traffic but let’s see where this goes

:biggrin: 
I went to "Contams" forum, and it didn't look like I was able to post there...

#6 Earthling

Earthling

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

It could get messy!

My hopefully landlord friendly setup consists of 2 food-grade 5-gallons, and a stainless steel spigot for draining excess liquid... I would think maybe pressure cooking them and then adding it, might be an option, but I read some where here that the contams could escape in the steam before it hits 15psi.

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

• OG VIP
  • 9,216 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:34 AM

It could get messy!

My hopefully landlord friendly setup consists of 2 food-grade 5-gallons, and a stainless steel spigot for draining excess liquid... I would think maybe pressure cooking them and then adding it, might be an option, but I read some where here that the contams could escape in the steam before it hits 15psi.

If you're worried about the spore load getting shot out of the valve on the pressure cooker before full pressure and temperature are reached, maybe throw a wet rag over the valve? As I understand it water molecules are sticky, maybe sticky enough to grab spores.

I'm just spit ballin' here.

• onediadem and Earthling like this

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,730 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

:biggrin: 
I went to "Contams" forum, and it didn't look like I was able to post there...
Please tell me you’re talking about the Archived Vaults
https://mycotopia.ne...ion-pestsbugs/. If not I am missing a forum. :scratches head:
  • Earthling likes this

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 2,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

I am curious where also.. I seem to have misplaced that spot myself.

• Earthling likes this

#10 Earthling

Earthling

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

In response to, "If you're worried about the spore load getting shot out of the valve on the pressure cooker before full pressure and temperature are reached, maybe throw a wet rag over the valve? As I understand it water molecules are sticky, maybe sticky enough to grab spores.

I'm just spit ballin' here." and others...

It could have been another Mycology based website, in the past I was lurkin' and not participating so it also could of been vaults... That wet rag idea should work, I also have a vent fan above my stove with two settings; very loud, and loud so that eases my concern as well... I'll give it a whirl...

Hmm, say it was Trichoderma, I wonder if it would still be good for diseased tree's after being ran through pressure cooker... That might make, a good future post.

Edited by Earthling, 17 November 2017 - 01:05 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!