3 replies to this topic

#1 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

What is everyone's plan as far as cooking? We are making a turkey and a ham, along with all the trims. I am making a Tiramisu for desert. It would be great to get some new idea's, for sure. I may make macarons also. I still haven't decided on that one. Leaning more towards yes because they are best when allowed to sit in the fridge for 48 hours so they will be a no rush delight.

So please, share your recipes and ideas!

~Really thankful I can edit my color in.

*Types with heavy sarcasm in that thankful.

Edited by onediadem, 17 November 2017 - 02:19 AM.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,543 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

I will be in charge of the fresh baked yams, none of that canned marshmallow stuff. I'll get the recipe up here later. I also usually am in charge of dessert, but my family does not really like pumpkin pie (I do) so I need to get creative.

Its too early for me to see right so I'll be back later with some of my favorite recipes.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,543 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Fresh yams is one of my favorites, and it is actually easy, can be done in advance, and makes a huge difference in the flavor.

You get fresh yams, as many as would be appropriate for how many people its for. They bake whole, so until not quite done, about 40 min. at 375-400 depending on your oven. Let them cool and they will peel easily. Cut them into wedges or whatever size pieces you like, and put them in a butter greased or pam sprayed baking pan or casserole dish. From here you can't screw up, as its whatever you prefer. I add chopped pecans or walnuts, and cover with brown sugar and butter, as much as you like. You can also drizzle some maple syrup over the top.

Re-bake that day. If you made them the day before and they are cold, about 30 min at 375. If they were made the same morning and not cold, 15 minutes at 375 to 400 is enough. 
Marshmallows are optional, but if you like them, use the small ones and put as much as you like on the very top before baking. Using the fresh yams makes them taste incredibly good....

I'll also share my secret for the most juicy, and beautiful mahogany brown turkey.

Stuff as you would with your favorite. Either stuffing or a combo of root veggies and onion, and herbs.

Use lots of butter (like a whole stick) to grease the bird and get the butter liberally under the skin as much as you can as well as outside. Cover the buttered bird with a double layer of cheesecloth.

In a saucepan heat 3 sticks of butter and when melted, add 4 cups of a dry white wine. This you will keep on the stove and use to baste every 30 minutes while cooking the bird. For the last hour, remove the cheesecloth, and continue to baste with your butter and wine. The bird will be really juicy, and brown to a gorgeous color. 

(now I'm hungry)...............................

Edited by Skywatcher, 17 November 2017 - 01:28 PM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Now I'm hungry too... :)

Skye, we've found a pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling is enjoyed by even those that don't care for pumpkin pie, and still lets us get our pumpkin fix.

Attached Thumbnails

• PMKN ROLL.png

• Skywatcher and skunk like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!