• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:57 AM

My very first grow was cut short, leaving me with nothing but 4.4 grams of my own grown Golden Teachers, and too much knowledge to take in with such little experience. With a hasty relocation for work the six remaining BRF jars, and syringes went into a storage unit to sit. Until late one night a little over a month ago. I dusted the jars off and quickly looked everything over. Moving into a new place meant I could start my next experiment, and I have been biting at the bit. 

Out of six of the jars five of them where mold ridden. Thrown away, with one surviving absolutely fine to the human eye. With a month to waste before move in I decided why not. It could not jeopardize the future experiment or grow being the last jar. I inoculated the jar after simply wiping the needle with an alcohol pad with the syringe labeled Koh Samui "Super Strain". I have done some reading, and understand the different strains, so we will see which one this is as it pans out. After inoculation I left it with a babysitter on their windowsill.  

When I returned to pickup my experiment I noticed its apparent success. Two lighter sized normal appearing mushrooms, and one deformed cap as seen in other KSSS grows. Not thinking it was going to actually survive much less take off I was not around to see when the test subject showed pins, or when they grew. Two days after being returned to my care the large deformed cap pressed against the lid, and broke the other mushroom growing underneath it in half. I decided to do an early harvest, and dunk to actually evaluate start to finish.

The number one goal now is to take a tissue sample to clone into newly made Oat jars. Test subject will be birthed onto a bed of perlite on Thursday. I believe they need more heat, and I am excited to see it produce a normal shroomie that is not deformed. I was hoping to run with the normal side of this strain! 

Pictured is 10g wet 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3429.JPG
  • IMG_3430.JPG
  • IMG_3431.JPG

• sinful, Spooner and PinkMenace like this

#2 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 324 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

sorry, out of 'likes' again. but those look great, especially considering the conditions they grew under.

• Rangley likes this

#3 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:56 AM

Alright so our Gen l jar is moving along, and I wanted to keep everyone updated. As I said this jars entire purpose is simply to provide me with a good start to the genetics of the MS syringe I received.

After being picked clean because of the damage to the largest specimen on the first “flush” and to get a timetable for growth I dunked the entire BRF cake for 12 hours on November 23rd. 13 days later and this is where we stand. On my daily check up I noticed seven beautiful pins being pushed against the bottom of the jar.

At 9:30 tonight the cake was cut in half. The top half that was not performing and seemed incredibly dry was placed in the fridge for a good dunk. I wonder how long the mycelium can be exposed to the cold water before it’s completely useless.

I then took the healthy looking cake and flipped it around so those seven pins now have plenty of room to grow up. With 13 days after the dunk and it’s just now pinning I believe they need more heat so I set up an improvised heating element. We shall see how they react to that.

b8204d5691c80555142b5f6e14ad96bc.jpg776303f2924b92fcc907c4c350cf6201.jpg9b12c3b3465ec4f2f0f5b38df15ed992.jpg
  • Sidestreet, Jeepster and tuftygrasses like this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,669 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:40 AM

Those pins look good.  How much heat are you applying?  Room temperature is fine, and they'll grow in cooler temps if need be. 

• Jeepster and Rangley like this

#5 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:57 AM

Those pins look good. How much heat are you applying? Room temperature is fine, and they'll grow in cooler temps if need be.

Thank you I was surprised to see so many on the bottom of the jar. No heat has been applied at all during this process. I had great success with room temperature during the summer months where I live. I’m just trying to watch and listen to them. It gets a little chilly here at nights.

Edited by Rangley, 07 December 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#6 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

Just a few hours of a little warmth has the pins peeking up and gaining size pretty nicely. From pin to flush what’s the average time frame?

8f04f25b1481fda049911f527674e8c1.jpg

#7 sinful

sinful

I'm a Ninja

• OG VIP
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

A few days with ideal temps. I like koh you will enjoy. Is the lid still on the jar?
  • Rangley likes this

#8 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,002 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

KSSS is the single worst strain I have ever grown hands down x1000. I got nothing but bunches of half inch tall shrooms that were basically impossible to harvest and separate from the substrate. The shrooms themselves were really quite good in effects, but it was so very poor in quantity and harvestability. 

• Rangley likes this

#9 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

A few days with ideal temps. I like koh you will enjoy. Is the lid still on the jar?

Thank you, I’m very interested to see what all I can do with it genetically. The lid is still on the jar. It’s helping regulate the temperature and trap in some moisture from my improvised heating device. Update coming!

#10 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:56 PM

KSSS is the single worst strain I have ever grown hands down x1000. I got nothing but bunches of half inch tall shrooms that were basically impossible to harvest and separate from the substrate. The shrooms themselves were really quite good in effects, but it was so very poor in quantity and harvestability.

Thank you Sandman, I’m sorry that your work did not go as planned. Of course before sourcing my GT and KSSS spores I spent countless hours researching the two of them. I chose GT because of its genetic consistency, and ease to grow. I chose KSSS also because of its genetics (known to have thick fibrous stems as pictured) if a cube is a cube why would I not want to isolate and grow the thickest strain?

110ed8c50b704e620fc8b7807157fd52.jpg

As you can see though in the earlier pictures I only had one “mutation” out of a few shrooms. So you can see it’s going well already! The history behind KSSS varies and with all the time, and hands touching the strain before it got to me I was rolling the dice on either getting The super strain or the classic Koh Samui I’m after. My plan was to actually calm it down, and try to slowly isolate non mutated Koh Samui mushrooms. My GT will be tried and true, but my KSSS will be the challenge I need.

Edited by Rangley, 07 December 2017 - 08:59 PM.

• sandman likes this

#11 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

My little hunch seemed to have pointed me in the right direction as these guys are pointing sky high. Not even 24 hours after some light heat, and they are nearly doubled in size.

We went from 7 pins to 9, and one is looking like it may be a mutant but the rest look beautiful.

5bcac1121a49b4310ab031d27de0f7a8.jpg

f1b5dc03fcde0bd9aadabf6a351a9290.jpg

8262a5d42759c9dfb14765608eb9ca64.jpg
  • sandman likes this

#12 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:49 PM

Dropping in for the daily update, and bringing some changes with me.

Gen 1 is still growing rapid enough to bring a smile to my face. However as you can see in the top right there is a red tint to either the vermiculite or mycelium. From what I have gathered it happens in heavily condensated jars or tubs with verm used. The mycelium is also bluing. I believe that’s from the stress of the heat.
Any ideas?

f158896e2dfdb39b140b8372586530ca.jpg

Here is another picture of the red tint

1a6dd44bbdbcf72ef7988a4f9c9d9ae5.jpg

Also I noticed a few of these guys. They are only around the sides of the jar, none on the top. They look like pins that are a dark blue, basically black in pictures. Anyone care to educate?

3867b254f0277257a4f512b294f94ec4.jpg

Last but not least the single standing mutant from the side. The red to the right is the cap of an adjacent pin. However I do believe another is forming up.

Send good vibes my way, and have a good night. Stay tuned.

#13 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

Day 5 after pinning and they look great to me. We now have three that look like mutants out of eleven pins.

You can see that the mutant on the left has actually lost size day by day getting smaller and smaller as the normal looking shroomie next to it is the second largest one of this flush.

74b8d22ee6e816ea7ed7de5125588693.jpg

Edited by Rangley, 10 December 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#14 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

I have a big surprise for everyone tonight!

Edited by Rangley, 10 December 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#15 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

...and then there were 12. Not including the side pins which I have something in store for ;) . Day five and there are now four mutants as pictured. The first mutant, numbered below, from this flush started out much larger and has actually shrunk. It’s bluing a deep dark blue. I believe it needs to be culled.

a3e7ad97da744392f88b43c71e8c3121.jpg

#16 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

Invitro glass prototype one!

Using a little glass hack I was able to split a 32 ounce mason jar so my half cake had some room. After some troubleshooting I found the sides are receiving too much heat. So I decided to give them some room to grow.

Should I keep the lid On or off? Use the lid with the inoculation holes? I did place aluminum foil around the bottom to encourage the side pins to sprout back up. Can I place the cake directly on the mycelium, or is the riser best? I have room for perlite on the bottom but I’m expecting the jar and heat to cause condensation giving it plenty of humidity.

4e8b52e81375666233fc363a950de6e2.jpg

We’re still seeing growth but it seems slow to me. They were dunked on November 23rd. They pinned December 6th.

f753ff86bfb2b8db7b5a9f7242ec93c5.jpg

#17 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

It seeems like the micro-climate the jar has produced has them thinking something. The veils on the two largest specimens has torn and folded back. It doesn’t look like any other KSSS torn veil pictures I have seen?

I understand it’s only half a cake and doesn’t have much substrate for nutes. However these specimens are only around 3 inches long.

Opinions!?

746ccd020316014d94e989a2f52f351f.jpg

d7059e88b2e6abc55f959a0703d3bae6.jpg

Edited by Rangley, 11 December 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#18 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,669 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

It still looks a little early for sporulation, even on that big one.  Generally spores start dropping when the cap becomes concave.  On the other hand, you could end up with a spore-less fruitbody.

I gotta ask, how did you cut that jar in half?

#19 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

It still looks a little early for sporulation, even on that big one. Generally spores start dropping when the cap becomes concave. On the other hand, you could end up with a spore-less fruitbody.

I gotta ask, how did you cut that jar in half?

But once the veil tears the fruit body quits producing alkaloids correct? So if I was to wait and let this grow even though it would weigh more there wouldn’t be a difference potency wise?

I cut the jar in half with science! I’m OCD as hell and ended up getting twine unlike the string I normally use. So I suggest a good yarn! That gave me an uneven break which is driving my crazy. Here is a good video to describe the process! Enjoy

https://m.youtube.co...?v=nUUR2nGI5nU'> https://m.youtube.co...h?v=nUUR2nGI5nU

#20 Rangley

Rangley

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

9696fc7799eaf26cdc27884688136ee4.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!