Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Take a podcast leave a podcast (or audiobook)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Topia's got a music thread already which is cool but personally I listen to way more podcasts/audiobooks. At work, at home, in the shower, while doing transfers, etc. As a result I am constantly on the hunt for new and interesting auditory stimulation. I'm sure I am not alone in this so lets swap recommendations.
For clarity and maybe search-ability lets go

Format (podcast/audiobook) - Name - Genre (Science/gardening/whatever) - brief synopsis

I'll start with some of my favorites.

Podcast - Probably Science - Science - Two guys who initially did undergraduate degrees in the Sciences but ended up becoming Comedians instead talk about the Science they still find interesting.

Podcast - Gastropod - Food - A food podcast that looks at the culture, history, art and Science behinds certain foods.

Podcast - RISK! - Story telling - where people tell true stories they never thought they’d dare to share in public. ** what I will say about his one is that a lot of people find Kevin Allison annoying at first BUT he will either grow on you or just fast forward through his intros best this is a stellar podcast.

Podcast - Waypoint Radio - Video games - Probably the most worth listening to conversations about video games as a medium and creative endeavors on the internet.

Audiobook: Sci-Fi: Autonomous by Annalee Newtiz - First fictional work co-founder of i09 and current editor at Ars Technica Annalee Newtiz "features a rakish female pharmaceutical pirate named Jack who traverses the world in her own submarine. A notorious anti-patent scientist who has styled herself as a Robin Hood heroine fighting to bring cheap drugs to the poor, Jack’s latest drug is leaving a trail of lethal overdoses across what used to be North America".
As fantastical as all that may sound I think it is one of the best Sci-Fi novels to come around in many many years. It is a more cogent meditation than Bladerunner on what synthetic life will mean for humanity.

A note regarding access to audiobooks: there is an audiobook/music/video streaming service that many public libraries offer with membership. It's called Hoopla, its worthwhile checking if your library has access to it as you can get 8 free audiobooks a month with it. Its catalog isn't as good as paid for services but its free.

Edited by 425nm, 29 November 2017 - 11:00 PM.

• GalenOl and Rantrapr like this

#2 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

Fabric of Time and Dimension

• Gold VIP
  • 589 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

Nice!
Podcasts - true crime garage
- where did the road go
- rune soup

Audiobooks- so so many, currently listening to gravity's rainbow.

#3 MushPuppy

MushPuppy

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

News From Lake Wobegon

If you can find it that is. It seems that in the wake of Garrison Keillor's firing from Minnessota Public Radio over allegations of sexual harassment (He touched a woman's back on accident OMG!), all online links to this wonderful monologue are suddenly not working. Now I'll have to try and find the CD's. Fuckers.

#4 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:32 AM

All of these are podcasts. All the descriptions, brief or long, come from the podcasts themselves. Something that's really been hammered home to me over the years of listening to podcasts is the well-known baby and bathwater concept. I listen to a lot of quality content from people who's worldview I vehemently disagree with. Also, at some point, everyone I've listened to, lays a real egg...some lay a lot more than others.

These I listen to on the regular:

Peace Revolution (from Tragedy & Hope who produce a lot of substantial content aside from their main podcast). This is akin to graduate level "forensic" history: "Peace is the way. The Revolution is in between Your Ears. Re-Contextualizing History... One Episode at a Time. Peace Revolution is a self-study curriculum..."

School Sucks Project: "Education Evolution - Achieving Individual Liberty Through Self-Knowledge, Self-Teaching, Self-Mastery"

Hardcore History: (Some episodes are practically audiobooks. Also listen to his podcast on more topical isssues - Common Sense) "He’s been called a lot of things, but no one says that Dan Carlin is boring. His two long-running podcasts are among the most popular in the world. Part storyteller, part analyst, Carlin has mastered the art of looking at subjects from multiple angles and dissecting and thinking about them in original ways. He isn’t afraid to go deep or to inject historical context into modern debates. Whether it’s history or current events he’s discussing, his passion is contagious, his approach refreshing and his ideas tickle your brain in all the right places. He’ll make you mad too. You’ll like it."

Dangerous History Podcast: "Learn the Past/Understand the Present/Prepare for the Future"

Corbett Report: "Open Source Intelligence News"

Spy Culture: "The world’s leading research archive on government involvement in popular culture. Hosts the ClandesTime Podcast: Regular podcast featuring film and book reviews and investigations into government, military and intelligence involvement in popular culture."

Media Monarchy: A fear-free look at today's news...building Community not conspiracy

These I pick and choose based on the topic:

Joe Rogan Experience: "a long form conversation with guests that is one of the most popular comedy podcasts on iTunes (not always just comedy)."

Jay's Analysis: "Broaching subjects as wide as satire, metaphysics, film analysis, theology, geopolitics, literature and history, as well as interviewing numerous prominent figures"

Unregistered with Thaddeus Russell: "A show about what you're not supposed to say. Thaddeus Russell, author of A Renegade History of the United States, interviews people who break the rules of conventional discourse and expand the realm of the possible."

Contra Krugman: "Paul Krugman's NY Times [economics] Column Refuted Week After Week"

Our Interesting Times: Geo-politics, culture creation, espionage, history

• riseabovethought likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

"Tell me something I don't know" podcast. It's a loose game show style cast where participants tell stories or factoids that are then verified live and then rated by a panel. It's humorous, useless, and fun, like me. :tongue:

http://tmsidk.com/

The periodical Atlantic's podcast. In depth podcasts about major pieces from the magazine:

https://www.theatlantic.com/podcasts/

"The Monday morning podcast" Bill Burr rambling about his own paranoia, sports, and answering listener's mail in a "dear Abby" format. I find it very funny:

http://billburr.com/category/podcast/

• riseabovethought likes this

#6 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

News From Lake Wobegon

If you can find it that is. It seems that in the wake of Garrison Keillor's firing from Minnessota Public Radio over allegations of sexual harassment (He touched a woman's back on accident OMG!), all online links to this wonderful monologue are suddenly not working. Now I'll have to try and find the CD's. Fuckers.

Wasn't that some shit?  Garrison Keilor?  I'm calling bullshit on all that.  Kevin Spacey I could see as all that nuttiness he manifested in his characters came from somewhere.

#7 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'm a big fan of Joe Rogan.  He doesn't bat a thousand though but its free on youtube.

https://www.youtube....ser/PowerfulJRE

#8 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

This is late given that it was International Women's Day yesterday but in its spirit I recommend:

Audiobook
Claire L. Evans (written and narrated by) - Broad band: the untold story of the women who made the internet.

I know there are some computer nerds on 'Topia and I bet even they will learn something from this. It is written and narrated in an incredibly engaging fashion by the same person!

It is well worth a read/listen if you're interested in tech and it's history. Women who I'd never heard of until I read this have been at the heart all the pivotal computer technologies that allow 'Topia and the internet as a whole to exist.

Bonus, motherboard did an interview with the author and some of the subjects of the book:
https://player.fm/se...broad-band-live

Check it out nerds and learn yourself about some rad humans.

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,969 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:24 PM

Bump for a friend.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!