Here is a road map for my first bulk adventure.
Steeping: Cue's WBS Steep Tek
Jars: 1 quart jars with lids I made earlier in this thread - filling 3/4ths full of the WBS. I'm aiming for 7 jars, hoping that 4 will survive.
Sterilization: 90 min @ 15 psi
Inoculation: Syringes I made from a Redboy X print from @coorsmikey (Thank you!).
Shaking (from gruncle @microbe): "Grain i shake around 25% then at 75% then a final shake 24 hours before i milk or expand. The last shake isnt to check for contamination because if its in there after the 2nd shake, evidence of any contamination will present itself. It can be slow recovery, odor, or isolated areas where the myc is avoiding and wont always see the actual contamination. My final shake is so that it begins to recover before I expand because I shake the jars down like they owe me money and its vicious.....much for vicious then any g2g or mycelium milking." + I'll shake when I first inoculate.
Substrate and fruiting: Coco Coir tek by Wharfrat (minus coffee)
And so the story begins...
I started by bringing down my 20lb bag of Wild Bird Seed. You will notice that it contains cracked corn. Cracked corn is high in starch which can create a film that inhibits colonization and is quite delicious to other microbes (according to @microbe). This can however be overcome by thorough rinsing before and after hydration (the steep).
I got a mixing bowl and shoveled WBS into it, aiming to fill 5-7 quart jars 3/4ths full. I filled a jar 3/4ths full and dumped it in 5 times, assuming there would be expansion (though I may have been scooping over the 3/4th point).
My next plan was to fill the bowl with water so that the sunflower seeds floated allowing me to scoop them out. However my mixing bowl was too small (better start bigger next time) so I upgraded to small brew kettle.
And SURPRISE! The sunflower seeds were not the only thing that floats down here. I had to get a strainer and laboriously rub and water until the non-sunflower seeds were washed out. Pretty soon I ran out of head room, and had to focus on rubbing.
After I removed as many sunflower seeds as I could stomach, I put a grain bag over the kettle and very carefully dumped the contents.
Next I rinsed it thoroughly, including laying it flat and running water over it while massaging it.
Next I experimentally submerged the water in the kettle, seeing how much it would take to submerge it. I then dumped out that water and replaced it with fresh water, putting in a lot extra since I did not know how much the WBS would absorb (according to Cat's it wouldn't absorb much, but I didn't want to risk it). The photo shows before I added the extra.
I brought the water to boil and went and hung out in Mycotopia chat. If you're interested in chatting with us or just want to help Mycotopia keep running, sign up for VIP by looking into the "Go VIP!" menu at the top of every page!
After the water started boiling, I turned off the heat and put the grain bag in. I then put the lid back on.
I let it steep for 90 minutes and then took the grain bag out and put it on a grate. When I came back to check on it in an hour and lifted it, a torrent of water came pouring out. I ended up shaking the bag up and down, leaving it alone for a bit, and then repeating until no water came out. In the future I will do that from the start.
I dumped the now hydrated bird seed into a bowl and got a ladle to start ladling out WBS into jars.
I leaned towards too little and away from too much when filling them and finally came out with 7 jars filled to often less than 3/4ths. Oh well. I figure it'll be easier to shake.
Lastly I threw on some tinfoil hats so that the pressure cooker couldn't read their thoughts and am currently cooking them at 15PSI for 90 minutes.
Edited by PinkMenace, 02 December 2017 - 11:32 PM.