• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

Competitors makes sense. There was a very faint sour tinge to the smell on at least one. Didn't really stand out, though. Hoping that was anaerobic bacteria or something like that from having it super closed up.

I took off the lids, covered them in tin foil, punctured four holes in each, and covered the holes in micropore tape.

Edited by PinkMenace, 29 December 2017 - 12:40 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#42 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

Yeah some GE outa do some good

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#43 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,364 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Bacillus is a common bacteria in our subs that will smell slightly sour in a anearobic enviroment while almost odorless or undetectable to a bacon smell in aerobic enviroment. There are other bacterium that could smell sour but again I'm going with the more common.

If bacillus is in your grain it will smell more like bacon and you risk developing wet spot and if you spawn that to a overly wet sub, the chance of the symbiotic relationship with eventually be one way and on the side of the bacillus resulting in tubs that will continue to become more sour.

Now if it is some type of bacillus and it is undergoing respiration via fermentation, exposing it to O2 will slam the brakes on it as it transitions back over to aerobic respiration. Either way fresh air is your best weapon now. Fan it and even leave the lid cracked slightly. A few ge holes are not going to help you at this point.

Now I obviously cant smell it so to say it is slightly sour is subjective. Is it manure based? Pasteurized manure with smell slightly spoiled which is very normal. I suppose I can go up and read and have a peek.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#44 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Bacillus is a common bacteria in our subs that will smell slightly sour in a anearobic enviroment while almost odorless or undetectable to a bacon smell in aerobic enviroment. There are other bacterium that could smell sour but again I'm going with the more common.

If bacillus is in your grain it will smell more like bacon and you risk developing wet spot and if you spawn that to a overly wet sub, the chance of the symbiotic relationship with eventually be one way and on the side of the bacillus resulting in tubs that will continue to become more sour.

Now if it is some type of bacillus and it is undergoing respiration via fermentation, exposing it to O2 will slam the brakes on it as it transitions back over to aerobic respiration. Either way fresh air is your best weapon now. Fan it and even leave the lid cracked slightly. A few ge holes are not going to help you at this point.

Now I obviously cant smell it so to say it is slightly sour is subjective. Is it manure based? Pasteurized manure with smell slightly spoiled which is very normal. I suppose I can go up and read and have a peek.

This is coir with ground BRF cakes.

#45 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,364 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

Bacillus could still be the culprit, came in through your grains. When you say sour do you mean like a sour milk smell or more like a sour fermentation smell?

#46 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Bacillus could still be the culprit, came in through your grains. When you say sour do you mean like a sour milk smell or more like a sour fermentation smell?

Sour as in sour fermentation. Unfortunately all I can smell through the micropore taped holes is the micropore tape. I've been procrastinating pulling it back to hunt which one was the one with the smell because I know I'm going to rip the aluminum and have to re-cover.

Edited by PinkMenace, 29 December 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#47 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,364 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Sour as in sour fermentation. Unfortunately all I can smell through the micropore taped holes is the micropore tape. I've been procrastinating pulling it back to hunt which one was the one with the smell because I know I'm going to rip the aluminum and have to re-cover.
You need to take that lid off and let it dry out. It will clear in about 3 days or so. Believe it or not if you can pull it through, you will get some nice flushes. I stacked some shoeboxes once and the lower ones did not get any GE and they fermented. I slid the lid off slightly and put in the spate bedroom, there were probably 12 shoeboxes and man alive it wreaked, smelled like I was near a distillery but they rocked. I believe that mishap was documented in my random thread. If you notice it get stronger then take the foil off. You could start by fanning it several times a day if you want. When did you spawn?

#48 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

You need to take that lid off and let it dry out. It will clear in about 3 days or so. Believe it or not if you can pull it through, you will get some nice flushes. I stacked some shoeboxes once and the lower ones did not get any GE and they fermented. I slid the lid off slightly and put in the spate bedroom, there were probably 12 shoeboxes and man alive it wreaked, smelled like I was near a distillery but they rocked. I believe that mishap was documented in my random thread. If you notice it get stronger then take the foil off. You could start by fanning it several times a day if you want. When did you spawn?

21 days ago I spawned 3 cakes to each shoe box

9 days ago I determined they had dried out and stopped colonizing in the bag I had them in. I rehydrated and transferred them into a shoebox, with no GE.

Does this look sufficient? The white stuff on the side is actually just condensation and not mycelium - trick of the lighting.

IMG_2724.JPG

#49 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,364 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

21 days ago I spawned 3 cakes to each shoe box
9 days ago I determined they had dried out and stopped colonizing in the bag I had them in. I rehydrated and transferred them into a shoebox, with no GE.

Does this look sufficient? The white stuff on the side is actually just condensation and not mycelium - trick of the lighting.

attachicon.gifIMG_2724.JPG

21 days ago and now they went dry then you rehydrated them. I would suspect the colony died or the bulk of it. The brice rice flour is fermenting now after the rehydration. I'm sorry but those are toast but that would be sufficient in the situation I was referring to.

• PinkMenace likes this

#50 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thank you for the bad news (really, someone had to say it). I'll toss the contents, soap and water, then wipe down with alcohol.

I was so curious what would happen to the lonely pin.

• Microbe likes this

#51 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

My guesses as to why this failed are that it dried out before colonizing fully. Perhaps too small spawn to bulk ratio. Perhaps too many holes for that amount of substrate relative to the bag size. Those are my two theories. Ah well.  

#52 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

I'm not sure if the whitest of these jars are done or if they've stalled out due to bacteria... I really really don't want to start from scratch :-(

These are the ones still cooking.

IMG_2758.JPG

These are the ones I'm wondering if they are done or have bacterial infection. They smell fine.

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

#53 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,364 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Looks like it may have bacterial infection but your fine. Shake it up and if it recovers spawn it. Make the sub just slightly dry so the mycelium runs the sub faster.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#54 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,423 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Looks like it may have bacterial infection but your fine. Shake it up and if it recovers spawn it. Make the sub just slightly dry so the mycelium runs the sub faster.

Even if they don't recover..      :tongue:

#55 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

I'm not sure I follow.

Also what was the give away that it's a bacterial infection?

Do I have to worry my room is 63f? Should I get it closer to 70f? What should I respect for healthy recovery times?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#56 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,423 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

I'm not sure I follow.

Also what was the give away that it's a bacterial infection?

Do I have to worry my room is 63f? Should I get it closer to 70f? What should I respect for healthy recovery times?

I was making a joke (sorta) that a bacterial contamination doesn't automatically disqualify a substrate or grain spawn in our book. However it's extremely unwise for newer growers to experiment with contaminated grain. If I had a dollar for every time that I read "let's see who wins" in reference to a contaminated jar I'd have at least $200. Even if the myc "wins", the contaminant is still hitching a ride and absolutely does disqualify it from spore printing if it fruits. It's much much much more important for newer growers to master clean work and proper execution in lieu of "fixing" and experimentation IMHO.

That said, recently I had a bulk contamination that had just been spawned and had that sweet apple smell, and per a conversation with microbe and based on me "curing" bulk subs that acquired the same smell after a dunk, I decided to lay the grain out on a full sized sheet pan for about 24hrs. Like microbe already mentioned, it made the whole room stink but I was able to halt the yeast and/or the bacteria from growing further and the smell went away, I put the grain and bulk back into a shoebox and it's starting to pin now.

Almost all contaminants grow slower in cooler environments, so upping your room temperature won't help your jars IMHO.

• Hash_Man and PinkMenace like this

#57 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

Does that mean if it recovers I shouldn't spawn it since it was thought to be contaminated?

#58 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,423 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Does that mean if it recovers I shouldn't spawn it since it was thought to be contaminated?

If you have a suspect jar that you shake and it recovers very quickly it's not contaminated IMHO.

#59 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

What constitutes quickly in 60 degree temps?

#60 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,423 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

What constitutes quickly in 60 degree temps?

In 24-48hrs it starts to grow again throughout the jar.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 31 December 2017 - 10:24 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!