Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

'Not' no soak random thoughts, how's and whys.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

just notes it's been years and in that time I suppose there has been improvements on styles, TEK's etc. but a couple years ago MLBjammer and some others wanted to know how I prep WBS. I'll have limited pictures : (
this is in no way a ultimate guide by no stretch of the imagination, maybe just a way to do it if 'no soak' isn't working for you.

I'm using what I have on hand and actually will continue the thread threw fruiting just for fun also maybe concider this a refresher course for some of you.

I know some of the newer than me new guys are quite accomplished but this is just my take on growing mushies and the how's and whys.

Through the years I've adopted WBS as a main protocol as H.poo was always hit or miss with me . . composted substrate be nice but I'm not always able make some from the beginning to the end. .

'no soak' many have success with some of you, but for me not, it may have been the latitude (where I was living at the time) messing with the water ratio.

working with soaked wbs assures me most the contams are germinated sprouted and killed and I can just go 60 min PC but I go 70, also I have better control over the moisture as I really like it just so, and I can fine tune before the birdseed is put in the jar by my three point moisture tests... more latter on that.

when I look for wild bird seed I like high amounts of white proso millet it's got more Phosphorus and generally more nutritious also I like a bit of milo and like everyone else, no corn. So what do I pick out? bird seed with corn! lol.

Edit: before simmer and while soaking I throw a couple tsp of gypsum that's about all you need for a half pot like this, most gets thrown out after simmering.

20171203_142639-1.jpg

Although I like popcorn if I'm going invitro mixing verm and H. poo which I have done from time to time especially when doing invitro in gallon freezer bags.

I like to over night soak the wbs, it's less time consuming being on the stove but currently I wasn't able to so I did the simmering for hours thing . . if you have to do this, one tip is, at one point bring to a boil 2 - 5 mins turn stove off stir occasionally, cover after 3 1/2 mins, this is on electric stoves because the burner takes that time to actually stop heating the mixture.

20171203_143539.jpg

we're looking for 5% or less broke kernels and/or the seeds being twice their original size

here the the milo works as a good indicator for when it's done. It should be able to split with your thumbnail but the very center still be dry but these are not, yes I cooked them too long lol.

20171203_150031.jpg 20171203_150103.jpg 20171203_150108.jpg

now I gave you an example what not to do lol . . but in the words of Clint Eastwood we'll 'improvise and overcome' . . I'll just keep them on the dry side before PC.

ideally while their still hot an steaming throw them on newspaper spread out thin and in an hour or two they should look dry on the outside but still feel wet in your hand, if you have the WBS in the palm of your hand and dump them off it should leave no wet spots, zero!

more tomorrow. . .

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171203_143539.jpg
  • 20171203_150108.jpg
  • 20171203_102935-1.jpg

Edited by Hash_Man, 03 December 2017 - 06:49 PM.

• coorsmikey, Skywatcher, Juthro and 6 others like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Subscribed!

cat-sitting-chair-17036515.jpg

• Hash_Man, MsBehavin420 and PsiloARZbrn like this

#3 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

Did you use RO water

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • Hash_Man likes this

#4 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

Did you use RO water

I used spring as a matter of fact.
  • Microbe likes this

#5 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

Where we at with this hash? Tell us about the fucking golf shoes!

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Knock knock

#7 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

SNAFU in the house, will update soon.

#8 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

sorry about the delay but that's the beauty of these random type posts.

update:
I didn't have a chance to get pictures of the jars in the center of the lid I put 1/2" hole with polyfill with large doubled over foil on top the lids and fold down around the jars, it keeps them from clanging around when their hot then 70 minutes in the PC, that's one small advantage over 'no soak' meaning not going 90 min's not really a big deal. I left out that after the simmer I add one tsp of gypsum.

NOTE: Some of you are saying to yourselves there is nothing revolutionary about this, my responce is thank goodness. it's a basic WBS TEK that's as good as any other sure you have to soak overnight but you can rest assured they will be sterlized after the final 60-70 mins PC being the nasty are hatched and developed to where the temperatures of the PC will kill them. actually most are gone with the rinse after the soak . . one big bitch about thus stage of growing in any style is time but just like a lot of things this or any type of prep tek the more you do it the faster you get. . ask @microbe I'm just giving a way your prolly least likely to contamination due to the first part before spawning IMHO.

At one point everybody that's involved in this type of mycology will start looking up info on pasteurizing and sterilization will find that the time to achieve either one is contingent of the degree of contamination it has to deal with so thus at 60-70 mins you can rely on it being sterile.

today I got pic's of the Shrumovbox as I noc'd up with 'China', a strain I personally like..here they are, and more latter.

20171224_115417.jpg 20171224_115440-1.jpg

Edited by Hash_Man, 24 December 2017 - 06:37 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#9 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

Your doing it all wrong! You cant use painters tape on a shmuvbox if your going to run the window ledge tek aka 'Eazy Peazy Canopies'?

Seriously though im excited to see you back on farm working with the China strain! Did you have to boil the print for an hour?

Edited by Microbe, 24 December 2017 - 05:36 PM.

• Hash_Man likes this

#10 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,576 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Did you have to boil the print for an hour

WTF!
  • onediadem, coorsmikey, Juthro and 1 other like this

#11 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

WTF!
I thought you boiled your prints? Something about speeds up germination?

I pc'd mine for 15 minutes @15 psi but i dont have any growth yet, hit some cakes up back in March of last Spring, im learning patience is key for sure. Fingures crossed!

Edit: Hashman and I got a little joke going.....to our new members, please don't boil or pc your spores.

Edited by Microbe, 24 December 2017 - 06:17 PM.

• Hash_Man, Tenderfoot, DocOct and 1 other like this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,255 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

WTF!

If I were to take a guess, the Colts must be playing today...

I've noticed Microbe tends to loose touch with reality on the days they play.

I think its got something to do with the fact he thinks they might win a game, but I'm not sure yet...

;p)

Edited by Juthro, 24 December 2017 - 06:12 PM.

• Hash_Man, coorsmikey, Microbe and 2 others like this

#13 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

WTF!

I think its got something to do with the fact he thinks they might win a game, but I'm not sure yet...

;p)
That was yesterday but you are spot on! Hard out here for a Colts fan.....im do for a 7 gram dose to reset me lol

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,255 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

LOL, you know I'm just teasing :)

Sorry for the interruption Hash. Please carry on.
  • Hash_Man and Microbe like this

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

WTF!

;p)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Everyone knows your schedule Microbe!

• Juthro and Microbe like this

#16 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

LOL, you know I'm just teasing :)

Sorry for the interruption Hash. Please carry on.

I know

Yes Hashman please continue. What is this easy peasy tek? Ok I'm done hoking around for now

• Juthro likes this

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

Lol when he was posting “Randoms” in other threads at 2am my time last night, I knew it was game day or a bender lol
  • Microbe likes this

#18 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Lol when he was posting “Randoms” in other threads at 2am my time last night, I knew it was game day or a bender lol

Little bit of both, game day resulted in the bender. I made a few troll posts but I went back to the other side of the bridge at took the troll with me lol

Edited by Microbe, 24 December 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

Little bit of both, game day resulted in the bender. I made a few troll posts but I went back and cleaned them lol
yeah I was posting inappropriate responses and deleting them before anyone else saw them.
  • MsBehavin420 likes this

#20 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hashman and i were laughing our asses off being silly about teks. The eazy peazy tek is tossing a spore print on the window ledge at ambient room temp and depending on the strain, the print may need to be DEC'd with verm. If you dont DEC the print, you will have to dunk between flushes. Grows great canopies.....all day long.

I was trying to get Hashman to describe it lol

@tenderfoot mentioned using anti-fungal spray also .

Sorry hash, you can get back to being serial again

Edited by Microbe, 24 December 2017 - 06:35 PM.

• Tenderfoot and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!