#1 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,669 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:37 PM

Technically, vermiculite encompasses a large group of hydrated laminar magnesium-aluminum-iron silicates, which resemble mica.

http://www.madehow.c...ermiculite.html

I don't know too much so I don't want to say too much.  But I do know that vermiculite is closely related to mica.  Thanks to a buddy, I got to collect some mica pieces a couple of months ago and I wanted to share them with you.

Mica is pretty cool.  It's definitely shiny:

IMG 1960

and it comes in layers.  If you get a big piece you can peel off the layers.  They're see-through and brittle.  Here's a thin piece of mica with a chess piece behind it:

IMG 1969

but my favorite pieces are the ones embedded in the rock where they formed.  Here are a couple of pieces where the mica is embedded in feldspar:

IMG 1963
IMG 1970

'round here, the mica is so common that little flakes of it make the soil sparkly everywhere you go.  :biggrin:

Here's a cool page with more information: http://www.madehow.c...ermiculite.html

Edited by Sidestreet, 06 December 2017 - 06:39 PM.

• coorsmikey, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 3 others like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,359 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

Isn't vermiculite made from mica like popping popcorn?   I heard that a long time ago.

• Spooner likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

I remember granddad had a old wood stove that mad a mica panel in the door, so you could see if the fire was burning or not.

It wasn't clear like glass, more like very frosted glass, but you could make out weather or not flames were dancing in the stove of not.

#4 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Growing up in a small one store town, the local grocery/hardware store  (Dan and Whits, Norwich, VT)  still sold mica for use in the stoves.  It was cut with scissors to fit any stove window.  And yes, Dr. Logs is correct, when it is heated enough it expands between the layers making vermiculite.

• Juthro likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:31 AM

I love Mica, or Isenglass. So many forms and also common as inclusions. It has many properties, most of which are "reflective" in nature.

Alternate Names or Spellings: Isenglass, Glimmer

Mica is a group of minerals. All share common properties as well as each type having its own properties. Mica has reflective qualities to recognize flaws and see them with love. It is used to improve visions and clarity in mysticism. It is said to help eliminate negative personality traits by helping one recognize them. Mica is said to enhance flexibility in all realms and also assist growth in those areas. It is used to diminish anger, hostility, and nervous energy. Mica aligns energy of the body and releases blockages of energy within the body. Physically, mica is used in crystal healing and folklore to reduce hunger when fasting, insomnia, mononucleosis symptoms, dehydration. It is also said to provide energy and purpose.  Note that healing crystal meanings are spiritual supports to healing and are not prescriptions or healthcare information. Mica comes in many colors and is associated with the chakra of similar color. Some types of Mica are LepidoliteMuscoviteFuchsitePhlogopiteBiotite, and there are others.

biotite.jpg?format=original

#6 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:03 AM

Mica is indeed wonderful stuff and is ground up and added to cosmetics to give them sparkle, but it is preposterous when folks go to far and claim that mica will "...diminish anger, hostility, and nervous energy".  The natural world is exciting enough as it truly exists.  It is disappointing when the majesty of that reality is diminished by superstitious bovine scatology.

Nothing personal Sky, you just quoted what some fool wrote.  Sometimes I just find the unnecessary degradation of reality offensive.  It obscures beauty.

P.S. Apparently in this instance, mica has actually increased my anger, hostility and nervous energy, time to go water the cactus in my rock garden.

Edited by Spooner, 07 December 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,872 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

speaking of cactus

http://xerophilia.ro...tone-Eaters.pdf

this article says that mica is a good addition when building a cactus soil

the article is well worth the time for cactus growers

• Skywatcher and Spooner like this

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

I will try some mica in my next cactus mix.  

Thanks for the tip.

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

speaking of cactus

this article says that mica is a good addition when building a cactus soil

the article is well worth the time for cactus growers

That "article" is a small book, and probably one of the most fascinating pieces I have read in a while. I could not devour every page so I saved it to go back to. Rock Eaters is a perfect name......................

And Spooner, I don't get offended when someone does not see what I do, We both agree it is a beautiful and interesting material.

I do not mean to "Diminish" for even one person. 

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,359 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

So, having a few particles of the the mica persuasion in the immediate environment of a cactus can be beneficial?   Hmmmm.    When it has been discovered that the electromagnetic field of a living human heart is measurable out many feet, would its meeting of any particular crystalline patterns of geometry within its field possibly reflect back to it many potentials with which such things as physical and mental states of being might be altered?   I am presently a firm believer that we, as energetic expressions here in the form of human life, do not come to any hard boundaries at our skins.

Edited by Alder Logs, 07 December 2017 - 01:40 PM.

• Skywatcher and FluffyPowerSmurf like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!