• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

I have been thinking of starting an edible mushroom thing... (the cubensis I have grown so far have all been lovely, but they are not always considered edible... even though around me, they always get eaten).

I was thinking oysters would be good to start with, so I was wondering what particular one would be best to start with? King oysters are nice and big, bit I think just normal white oyster mycellium is more 'rugged'. Pink or blue?

Which one would you suggest for an edible noob?

• wharfrat likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

blues are easy and taste good, not a big fan of pinks but they are beautiful mushrooms.. Only issue with oysters is the spore load, if you are growing indoors be sure to vent outside

• Myc likes this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 2,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

Oysters do not have bad spore loads unless you wait too long to harvest them. I never had a problem with them. I liked the blue and golden. Pinks tasted best if picked early.

#4 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 712 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

blues are easy and taste good, not a big fan of pinks but they are beautiful mushrooms.. Only issue with oysters is the spore load, if you are growing indoors be sure to vent outside

Yeah Ive heard they can drop spores lol.

What about pearl oysters? The few times Ive had them they've been great... Has anyone tried using spent oyster myc. in the garden.. specifically to get rid of tomatoes' root rot (and other) nematodes? (Or did the mycellium get stuck into the tomatoes instead?)

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yeah Ive heard they can drop spores lol.

What about pearl oysters? The few times Ive had them they've been great... Has anyone tried using spent oyster myc. in the garden.. specifically to get rid of tomatoes' root rot (and other) nematodes? (Or did the mycellium get stuck into the tomatoes instead?)

pearls are good, those were the first ones i ever grew. I have never used spent sub in garden yet.

#6 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:04 AM

Has anyone 'fed' their oysters failed cubensis grows? Like, the ones that get contaminated, go bacterial, and such? God knows I've had enough of them... Maybe mixed in with the weekly paper (shredded), electricity bills, and bank statements? Are oysters 'domestic disposal units'?

Edited by scott_1971_h, 08 December 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#7 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 712 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Has anyone started off with a white oysters kit?

Normally Id run a mile from a kit, but I know oysters are really hard to kill and super resistant to contaminants (like... the contaminants get eaten).

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 2,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Has anyone 'fed' their oysters failed cubensis grows? Like, the ones that get contaminated, go bacterial, and such? God knows I've had enough of them... Maybe mixed in with the weekly paper (shredded), electricity bills, and bank statements? Are oysters 'domestic disposal units'?

I have grown blue oysters on shredded paper that i wet and tossed spawn into inside an old grocery bag. I was shocked that they grew since I did not pasteurize the paper. It was one of my "lets see what happens" projects.

#9 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

Do oysters like just plain pasteurised straw? Like... just sugar cane straw, or do they need something else like moopoo? And ... do they need wood instead of straw?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!