34 replies to this topic

#21 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

blues are easy and taste good, not a big fan of pinks but they are beautiful mushrooms.. Only issue with oysters is the spore load, if you are growing indoors be sure to vent outside

I just found out care of pearl oysters I forgot about for a few days. My FC has turned steely-greyish white, there's a layer of spores about a millimeter thick. Id say I would have an ounce, just in spores. Holy shit. Are pearl oysters easy to 'strike' from spores?

• Myc and wharfrat like this

#22 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:45 AM

Reishi and shiitake will do the same thing if left un-attended. I was surprised to see that spores can behave like aerosol paint. 

• onediadem and Microbe like this

#23 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 2,717 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

LOL, you only let it happen once.

• Myc likes this

#24 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

At least the King Oyster doesnt paint the town white. At least not the small cap strain. Do Pearls taste good if they are sporulating? I know some start to taste ... 'complex', like Cubensis

#25 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

I've only done pearl oysters twice. Both times I harvested while the fruits were still a bit immature so I'm not sure about the spores on those. 

The king oysters I had in the garden didn't seem to paint things but I generally nabbed 'em before they got too big. They would go on to lightly paint the interior of the containers in which they were placed for storage. 

#26 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:27 AM

I might add I have germination of some of the spores I collected, OMG they deposit them by the squillion. I am looking forward to seeing them grow, and this time I'll pick them when they are small...

I've read they really take to straw logs so I'll see how one of them goes...

• Myc likes this

#27 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

While I'm on the subject of starting things, are shiitakes difficult to start? And do they like plain straw or should it be 'enriched' with wood? Or do they only like plain old wood? 

#28 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 3,935 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

While I'm on the subject of starting things, are shiitakes difficult to start? And do they like plain straw or should it be 'enriched' with wood? Or do they only like plain old wood?

You can grow them on straw but you get better BE with supplemented hardwood or logs but you can absolutely grow them on pasteurized straw alone. In fact its a low tech economical way to grow them. Im starting some spawn myself tomorrow to get some dowels going to plug some hardwood logs a buddy dropped off to me this past summer and i might run some straw logs also.
  • Needles likes this

#29 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

OK good I'll start them on straw, I gather softwoods are not recommended?

Edited by scott_1971_h, 10 April 2018 - 08:23 PM.

#30 Microbe

Microbe

Mycophilic

• OG VIP
  • 3,935 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

OK good I'll start them on straw, I gather softwoods are not recommended?

I think douglas fir will work but some soft woods have a natural anti-fungal in them and many don't have enough nutrients in them. Im sure you can probably get them to grow on most soft woods but it would be a waste of time and resources as they would fruit very poorly.

A good source of hardwood is hardwood fuel pellets. You can get amazing results on saw dust blocks supplemneted with wheat bran with many species of edibles.

#31 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

I put some in half a dozen jars tonight. I'll see how they go :-)

Are shittake fast colonisers?

#32 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

I had come to the forum today to pose a similar question as Scott's original. I've got experience with Cubes, but going to give oysters a shot. This has been informative. 

One question, I see that folks recommend pasteurized straw....is that the first substrate you would inoculate to, or do you spawn to straw as bulk? 

Can you start oysters with jars of WBS?

Do folks know of any archived threads of a tek for oysters? 

Thanks. 

#33 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

I had come to the forum today to pose a similar question as Scott's original. I've got experience with Cubes, but going to give oysters a shot. This has been informative. 

One question, I see that folks recommend pasteurized straw....is that the first substrate you would inoculate to, or do you spawn to straw as bulk? 

Can you start oysters with jars of WBS?

Do folks know of any archived threads of a tek for oysters? 

Thanks. 

I have found oysters eat just about anything. Not quite the kitchen sink, but the bench it is in should be worried.

I would suggest colonising jars of some sort (WBS, rye, oats, etc) and then spawning to pasteurised straw.

I have found the mycellium looks a bit 'fuzzier' than cubes, but they have a seriously good grip on life...

• onediadem likes this

#34 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

I have thought of getting some black 'log bags', they help stop pinning under the plastic but you cant actually see the mycellium (to see if it's contaminated). But I've been thinking for a while... what about a clear log for keeping an eye on things, and then spray paint it when it starts looking like it is going to fruit? Has anyone else tried, and what happened?

#35 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• Black VIP
  • 1,136 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

I put some in half a dozen jars tonight. I'll see how they go :-)
Are shittake fast colonisers?

Shiitake can take its time on grain but once colonized, it can take over a bag of oak sawdust in a hurry.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!