• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Androne

Androne

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:20 AM

HI! I am new here, so I am not sure if this is the right page to ask this, but I will anyway. So I have a supagrokit and its been a week since i started, the problem is that there starts to appear little greenish mold dots on the soil. Where could they come from, what could i have done wrong? Should I remove them? Thanks!

• Spooner likes this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,669 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

Hi Androne!

VIeruSC

Little greenish mold dots are not a  good sign.  Once they show up, it's generally accepted that there's not much you can do except try to keep it from contaminating future projects.  That means you will want to get it out of your grow space.  Otherwise, the contaminant will fill the space with spores.

Contamination is just an occasional fact of this hobby.  It can be caused by a number of different things, and it may have stowed away in the grow kit itself or been introduced by improper handling. 

The best thing to do is start over from scratch.  You can try to scoop out the contaminated spots with a sterile instrument (like a spoon wiped with rubbing alcohol) but new spots will almost certainly appear. 

The good news is, you can get all the things you need to grow mushrooms without a kit, and probably for cheaper.  Start here: https://mycotopia.ne...ic-fungi-forum/

After you post a couple more times, you'll also be able to post anywhere in the site and interact with lots of experienced growers who can help you out.  :biggrin:

• wharfrat and Androne like this

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to a great place to learn about growing mushrooms.

Your first lesson is one that we all encounter from time to time, contamination.

Please do not dispair, it happens to everyone occassionally, but you must perservere inorder to be successful.

I would recommend that you see if nature can salvage this grow by opening it up outside perhaps on your compost pile, and letting nature do with it what it will.

Chances are not good, but occassionally I have had a contaminated jar develop and set fruit.  

You no longer need to worry about introducing competing molds (it is already there),and the fresh air and sunshine may slow down the mold while the mycelium is developing.

Don't give up, just learn from this experience, we are here to help you succeed.

• wharfrat and Androne like this

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 1,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

All in one grow kits invariably contaminate ... it's just too easy to be true, sadly. 

On the good foot, learning how to DIY is much cheaper and a lot more fun,

also, you'll learn more about the hows and whys of mycology and these fun

guys. 

And this is a great website for questions and such - it's where I started a long,

long, long time ago  :) 

All you really need is some vermiculite, brown rice flour, some 1/2 pint wide mouth

jars, a spore syringe, and access (or ownership) of / to a pressure cooker, and you're off...

welcome to the 'topia

:)

soliver

• coorsmikey, wharfrat and Androne like this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

welcome to topia  :biggrin:

• Androne likes this

#6 Androne

Androne

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:40 AM

Thank you, it was helpful, now at least I know whats up with it. And it is such a nice welcome guys! Thanks! :)

#7 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yes do remove it from the area, outside away from wind blowing it back in your house. It is not bad for the environment, that's where it came from, but it will be around in the future and the point of most of the procedure involved in cultivating fungi is to give the ones you want the best food and care and they will win the fight.

All contaminants have a time cycle, and a preference for light and oxygen that differs slightly from the spores you want to grow. Finding out the right combination in your particular area is key to future successful grows.

Happy growing, start from scratch, best advice, then you know what you've got. Once you get a batch, you never have to buy spores again.

• Androne likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!