33 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:41 AM

Why? From what I read, raw, and fresh is where they contain most of the beneficial abilities.

I don't say believe everything you read, but I instead say read everything you can.

https://www.livestro...s-be-eaten-raw/

With all due respect my arctic friend, the only problem with that link is that it's wrong and there's empirical data that says otherwise.

The cell walls of gourmet mushrooms are made out of chitin, which is the same substance that lobster shells (technically a defense), cicada exoskeletons, octopus beaks, fish scales, etc are made out of. Chitin while digestible, is not easily digested and can trigger an immune response in humans, which jkdeth alluded to.

Cooking mushrooms breaks the cell walls down not only making it easier to digest but cooking also unlocks all of the more beneficial polysaccharides that medicinal/gourmet mushrooms possess.

From Dr. Weil's website:

"But there are other reasons to cook your mushrooms. Raw mushrooms contain small amounts of toxins, including some compounds that are considered carcinogens. These are destroyed by cooking them thoroughly. Broiling or grilling is best."

https://www.preventi...t-mushrooms-raw

Other sources:

http://everythingmus...hrooms-you-eat/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitin

http://www.jstor.org...an_tab_contents

I only posted all of that because I love all of our members (especially you! :wub:) and want all of you to be the healthiest and as free of gastrointestinal distress as can be! If this post will prevent just one member from getting the shits, it'll be worth it.   ;)

Edited by CatsAndBats, 05 January 2018 - 10:56 AM.

• Microbe and Cuboid like this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,590 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

I always figured that the nervous bowels were part of the deal, like the yawns when you're coming on.    No big deal compared to the explorations beyond what the body might be doing.    I think it can make it clearer the what we are is currently something which has a body, but is so much more. 

• firerat likes this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,581 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

With all due respect my arctic friend, the only problem with that link is that it's wrong and there's empirical data that says otherwise.

It's all good Cat, I take no offence to your comments here. Much respect back at 'ya Cat Man :)

But I don't think its as cut and dry as your quoted doctor says it is. There is also lots info out there saying that raw is better, and that you loose some of the benefits and nutrients in the cooking process.
http://healthyeating...ntent-7548.html

I personally am a huge fan of mushrooms of all kinds, but I don't care for them raw. I was just trying to point out that it might not be as cut and dry as some would have us believe.
  • Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

It's all good Cat, I take no offence to your comments here. Much respect back at 'ya Cat Man :)

But I don't think its as cut and dry as your quoted doctor says it is. There is also lots info out there saying that raw is better, and that you loose some of the benefits and nutrients in the cooking process.
http://healthyeating...ntent-7548.html

I personally am a huge fan of mushrooms of all kinds, but I don't care for them raw. I was just trying to point out that it might not be as cut and dry as some would have us believe.

I'm an insectivore myself. A mouse-avore? A rodentaphile?  :tongue:

• Juthro likes this

#25 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Just wall your bathroom with mirrors, and psychedelic wallpaper maybe a black light, and a strobe! Lol! Be sure you have a padded toilet seat though. They never bothered me when I was young, but Cubes seem to make me nauseous, and sometimes gassy, and give me the shits nowadays. Old age is a bitch!

• CatsAndBats and Marleyahu like this

#26 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Im afraid if I would do this you my bathrooms I would never come I out of there if I was tripping even when I didn't have the shits. I already find myself getting stuck on there staring at the tIle floor and my towels all the time.
  • coorsmikey and MungoFungo like this

#27 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Just like much science, its all debatable with very good arguments from both sides. I do know that when vegetables are cooked , including mushrooms, half.....that's right half of its water soluble vitamin content. Now what's the trade off? Im not sure but I remember mom always saying raw vegetables are good for you and i do like to eat raw celery, carrots, and radishes......yummy!

The question is does cooking the mushrooms to make certain nutrients more digestible outways the loss of loosing more then 50% of its water-soluble vitamins or vice versa.

Not picking sides but im going with raw is better assuming it is chewed very well. Let me hit Rachel Ray real quick on Tinder and get back to you all.....

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by Microbe, 06 January 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Let me hit Rachel Ray real quick on Tinder and get back to you all.....

gallery_147940_1588_972434.gif

#29 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

Personally I was most just addressing the nausea issue, but I will add some of the old wisdom about vitamins has been updated. Carrots for instance. Raw carrots actually are so difficult to digest, they release less vitamins that if steamed. For health benefits in cooked mushrooms, vegetables, just try to avoid boiling and tossing the water out. Steam or saute till softened.
  • Juthro and Microbe like this

#30 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

Personally I was most just addressing the nausea issue, but I will add some of the old wisdom about vitamins has been updated. Carrots for instance. Raw carrots actually are so difficult to digest, they release less vitamins that if steamed. For health benefits in cooked mushrooms, vegetables, just try to avoid boiling and tossing the water out. Steam or saute till softened.

I have expelled pieces of carrots before, gross but hey its relative. Thinking a out baby food though, its pretty much liquified vegetables. Many who prefer organic will actually make their own from fresh vegetables. Again if the more you chomp on it, they easier it can be to digest. There some silly rule but I think your suppose to chew something 20 times before swallowing it, I cant do that in fact im a fast easier, very fast eater and not in a sloppy or starving way but i dont chew my food up like i should. A soft taco for example I take a bite and might chew it twice before swallowing it.

As far as making You poop, I was sent this link and it brought me to the fresh versus cooked and nutrients, I didnt go back to the beginning, i never really do and just jump right in with the flow of traffic lol

#31 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

This thread makes me feel like pooping. :tongue:

#32 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,590 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

photo-thumb-147940.png?_r=1515263706  Black Jesus has 'good hair!'

Edgar Cayce's trance readings said: "The leading dietary cause of the common cold is incomplete mastication."

#33 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Man, I hate incomplete. Mastication.

#34 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP