141 replies to this topic

#21 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,026 posts

Donator

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

After reading Soliver's posts over the last week or so, I may be in fact becoming a Solivarianist.

I don't know what the hell I believe in terms of religion and spirituality and I don't really care much. Never really have.

It seems you would be a nihilist of sorts. I kind of wish I was the same way. I catch myself wondering about spiritualism all the time but sometimes it only makes my confusion worse. Is there nothing that you question about the creation and existence of this life though? No questions or thoughts on the afterlife or what is to become of all this?

No, not a nihilist. I care about plenty. Just not spirituality or religion. And you don't want to be nihilistic. It actually is exhausting.

I'm lying when I say I never really have cared. That's not true. Of course I've had questions. And I still do. I had a few moments in my life when I went soul searching (for lack of better term) and I did discover quite a bit about myself in my voyages. Nothing to change my "it doesn't really matter" perspective though.

To me, it just doesn't matter much outside of curiosity. 

• Sidestreet, Soliver and Spooner like this

#22 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

No, not a nihilist. I care about plenty. Just not spirituality or religion. And you don't want to be nihilistic. It actually is exhausting.

I'm lying when I say I never really have cared. That's not true. Of course I've had questions. And I still do. I had a few moments in my life when I went soul searching (for lack of better term) and I did discover quite a bit about myself in my voyages. Nothing to change my "it doesn't really matter" perspective though.

To me, it just doesn't matter much outside of curiosity. 

I understand. I have been developing much of the same feelings as far as nothing really matters. @Alder Logs has helped me to realize just recently that it doesn't matter what the greater powers that be are, how we all got here or where we all will end up. What matters is to think and live in the present and not focus on the past or future because all we have is the present. It is a waste of our precious time here to dwell on things like that and not focus our attention on other things we could be doing in the moment. 

a quote that I like to live by is this 

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.

If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.

If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

• firerat and Skywatcher like this

#23 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

Dr. Logs is a fraud, don't believe his Live in the present BS.

If he lived in the present he would not waste his time building that magnificent shed. 

That was built for it's value in the future, all planning involves valuing the future ahead of the present.  

• Soliver and Alder Logs like this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Believe it or else...

Getting there is all the fun, when you're here for the there when it is actually happening.   Understanding the unreality of the past and future, in a very real experiential way, doesn't make you stupid.    All enjoyment is in the present.  I have my dreams about how I would like things to be, but these are known for what they are, which is nothing until it is now.    I live and love all of it.    Fuck, what could possibly be better?   If things don't come out to my plans, I am still here in the flow of the Great Mystical River.    The past is left to be only the idea that it is.    The future is my surprise party with which I needn't deeply concern myself.   As they say, the best way to make God laugh is to say, "I made plans."

Edited by Alder Logs, 22 December 2017 - 12:07 PM.

• firerat, Spooner and SteampunkScientist like this

#25 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

What I am always going on about is how we identify.  Since we are not a thing, as being, all the things we perceive can be thrown out as to what we are, if we are primarily being.  So, we have the possibility of ending our entrenched habit of trying to be something.   The persona loves to add and subtract all sorts of qualities and values to its made up idea of self.   That is more exhausting than the case of our poor nihilist.    Just being, is freeing.   The habits of identification will go on until they wind down from our lack of attention and interest. Meanwhile, we still get to be the seeing/perception, and the present knowing it constantly gives us, at least until we disappear as any bullshit ideas that get outed.    What disappears is nothing, but it was believed for a time to be something.    To fully enter being, we won't enter it as any something we could present as other.    In that, we see the unreality of any idea of other.    We still have the body/mind, but see it isn't what we are.   What has it, is us in our true formless form. 

So ....

If I'm an omni-sexual Russian FSB agent posting on a long-standing niche mushroom website, pretending to be a seventy year old heterosexual West-Coast vegan ex-submariner ...

What you're saying is that I should just .... let it all go?

But what if my "formless form" is an omni-sexual Russian FSB agent posting on a long-standing niche mushroom website, pretending to be a seventy year old heterosexual West-Coast vegan ex-submariner?

Fuck.  Forget about the mental gymnastics of nothingness ... THAT'S exhausting.

I don't even know how you come up with this stuff.  It's all I can do to finish the dinner dishes ... in their formity-form, that is.

:)

soliver

• firerat, Alder Logs, Spooner and 1 other like this

#26 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

You gotta cut down on the meat.

What you're saying is that I should just .... let it all go?

Not unless you see clearly that it's your next move.   I rattle on because I saw something in a you-had-to-be-there moment a few years back.   I suppose much of my life had set me up for it.  But anyway, I write now out of a place of seeing that is my seeing, not anyone else's.    Perhaps there is a place for my words to land for some of us here.   Aside from this, I stay in pretty good humor and take what's happening as it comes.   In seeing there is a way of seeing that just let's me travel lighter, the notion arises that there may be others around who would like something of that sort too.    I do know I like to hang with people who talk about the same things.  Of course, they use the same words differently, and different words to say something much like what I like to say. 

If you aren't grokking it now, not to worry.   We can still joke around.   I am okay with thinking I have you totally snowed.

Edited by Alder Logs, 22 December 2017 - 10:21 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#27 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

Of course, they use the same words differently, and different words to say something much like what I like to say. 

Ah ... Alder.

We are totally the same person.  Except that you're a decrepit old blathering West Coast vegan, and I'm a Mid-West, Down South, East Coast, Canadian Adonis whose words flow smooth like .... like .... like .... something that flows really smooth (fuck).

OK, they flow smooth like "smooth" but spelled with extra consonants and vowels and shit, so I'm all like,

SSMOOoooTTHHEEEeee                                                                !

So suck it.

Back on point, I'm not a religious man, per se, but I'm a firm believer in the future as well as the present - and that what we do in the present has an impact on the future.  As such, there is no sustainable "live now" belief system, unless the holder has terminal cancer or knowledge of an Earth-shattering meteor strike.

My badminton coach used to say "There Is No 'YOU' In the Word TEAM!" 

And I was all,

"There is no "YOU" in the word "ME," but there is "MEAT" in the word "TEAM!"

And then I pummeled him to death with a badminton racquet, which took quite a while, and I haven't been to Canada since.

So it goes to show that "living for the moment" and "forgetting whatsoblahver" isn't really a functional belief system unless you really want to make your badminton coach happy and NOT become a wanted person in the northern territories. 

So  in the end - all of your religious beliefs are cute until the RCMP catches up with you.

:)

soliver

• Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#28 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

I see there's an all points bulletin.

[Direct Link]

And it's "they flow smoothly" -- smoooooothly.

#29 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

I wasn't joking -

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty likes this

#30 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

Yes, there is BAD in BADMINTON. 

#31 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

Yes, there is BAD in BADMINTON. 

When a Badminton player throws down a black card ...

It's 4 life, bitch!

Punk-assed badminton motherfuckers tryin' to front up in my nets?

Shit.

• Alder Logs likes this

#32 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

Croquette was an Olympic Sport in 1900.

That is something to Cro about.

#33 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

What does shuttlecock mean anyway?   Is that like changing hands to gain a stroke?

• Spooner likes this

#34 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:15 AM

What does shuttlecock mean anyway?   Is that like changing hands to gain a stroke?

Questioned like a true sub-mariner.  All hands on dieck!

• Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#35 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:42 AM

Having passed the enlistment physical, Jon was asked by the doctor, "Why do you want to be put on a Navy submarine, son?"
"My father said it'd be a good idea, Sir."
"Oh? And what does your father do?"
"He's in the Army, Sir.
  • Soliver, Alder Logs, Spooner and 1 other like this

#36 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:30 AM

Having passed the enlistment physical, Jon was asked by the doctor, "Why do you want to be put on a Navy submarine, son?"
"My father said it'd be a good idea, Sir."
"Oh? And what does your father do?"
"He's in the Army, Sir.

^THIS! Thats great!!!

#37 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

Back on topic.

What are our views, and why?

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 December 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#38 Sweezi

Sweezi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

My religious experiouses go as far as Primary school where we had to sing hymns and study Christianity in religious studies... I was never that interested, I've always felt that there is a great possibility of beings so beyond our own that apon seeing them we would perceive them as gods. However I don't think said beings would be the creator of the universe; simply a species that's been around longer than anything on our planet...

I think for the universe to have a creator, the creator must exist externally from the universe, or in other words if this universe has a god it would be transdimensional; it would exist outside of the 3rd and possibly the 4th dimension! But my knowledge of religion doesn't go far... there's probably quite a few religions which would be able to support that.

I think religion is a good thing though; to have that link to spirituality. But nowadays I think some of the religions have become too materialistic and look to much for profit and put it off for those who are looking for something higher than themselves.

And hey, science has the most unbelievable answer to the universe; they call it a singularity meaning it came from nothing in a singly moment for no reason. Well that's the just side stepping the main question

I personally believe the universe precedes from life created within it. A universe begins and chemical reactions take place, changes and evolution occurs on a microscopic level and continuously exponentially more and more complex! Or as terence mckenna called it "novelty". And this happens until a species comes into existence, a species capable of observing the complexity of the universe; a species likes us! We follow the fate of the universe by simply doing what our species knows what to do. Within our individual minds has a certain level of knowledge about the universe, and that will forever increase as does our species. And when our minds trancendend and leave the body, the side effect of this 'explosive' event would cause the birth of a universe.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

#39 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,930 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Believe it or else...

Getting there is all the fun, when you're here for the there when it is actually happening. Understanding the unreality of the past and future, in a very real experiential way, doesn't make you stupid. All enjoyment is in the present. I have my dreams about how I would like things to be, but these are known for what they are, which is nothing until it is now. I live and love all of it. Fuck, what could possibly be better? If things don't come out to my plans, I am still here in the flow of the Great Mystical River. The past is left to be only the idea that it is. The future is my surprise party with which I needn't deeply concern myself. As they say, the best way to make God laugh is to say, "I made plans."

"I build shit 'cause I want to!"

I must agree with that. My only bone of contention is that "One" bit, for we will always have the All Mind and that which is not the All Mind.

All mind can only move into the "that" which it is not. It can only "Flow" against the Banks that do not flow.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 05 March 2018 - 09:39 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#40 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

The past is like the paths in the forest.

​Without the ability to accumulate ​experiences, and cross reference them, we lose the ability to converse.

​We lose even the ability to record data.

​We abandon the ability to avoid repeating any previously experiences.

Avoiding repetition of unpleasant and sometimes deadly experiences becomes an issue.

​I don't always follow the paths, but do use them.

Edited by Spooner, 05 March 2018 - 10:04 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!