• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

My PC seems to have some corrosion inside on the bottom. Approx 1mm patches, half a dozen of them maybe. IDK what's caused it. It's only been used a few times from new. Noticed it after it had been stored for a few weeks. I'm somewhat dubious about using it as I don't want a pressurised steam explosion. Am I being over cautious? They really are tiny blemishes.

Edited by Cuboid, 20 December 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,551 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

Are you talking discoloration, or pitting? What brand/model of PC? Maybe some pics?

I know that AA warns to watch for corrosion that causes pitting, as it could become the starting place for a crack, but I don't know what other manufactures recommend for their product.

On that note, contacting the manufacturer and asking is not a bad idea.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hard tap water will destroy your PC with a lil time. Use distilled water to prevent the pitting from getting worse and to extend the life of any PC.
  • Cigarsam and Trian3 like this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

It's a Tower 11L capacity one which goes on a stove top (gas/electric/whatever).
It is pitting I think. Something has deranged the surface so there is indent and sticky uppy bits. It is very hard for me to photograph it well. I'm wondering if I could grind and polish them out so as to negate the 'stress point' otherwise introduced. Of course your suggestion to seek manufacturer advice is what I should be doing. Not sure why I didn't think to do that first really. Thanks for the reply though :)
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hard tap water will destroy your PC with a lil time. Use distilled water to prevent the pitting from getting worse and to extend the life of any PC.

Interesting, I have so far only had hard water available to use. Goes off to Google hard water aluminum reaction ...
  • Juthro likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Cool post what you find! Even where the aluminum doesn’t react like the steel parts will get hard water deposits.

#7 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

I had a presto that developed pitting in the bottom. I think it was caused by using lid rings as a spacer and leaving the water and rings in it for a week or so. I retired her, $70 wasn't worth getting a steam explosion and being horrifically disfigured at best. They were pretty good size pits.maybe 1-2mm deep.

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Most aluminum corrosion and/or pitting is minimal in relation to the total strength/thickness of the material.  I would not worry about the pitting, but then again, ​ ​I have spent a life time riding motorcycles and jumping out of airplanes.

P.S. ...and most reckless of all, I got married 5 times.  Some folks just don't learn so easily.

Edited by Spooner, 20 December 2017 - 09:00 PM.

• coorsmikey, Soliver, Juthro and 2 others like this

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

I had a presto that developed pitting in the bottom. I think it was caused by using lid rings as a spacer and leaving the water and rings in it for a week or so. I retired her, $70 wasn't worth getting a steam explosion and being horrifically disfigured at best. They were pretty good size pits.maybe 1-2mm deep.

Probably a good call for safety reasons. Do you think it was electrolisis or the water that caused the pitting? Maybe both I suppose. I ask because I leave the lids in as well. I have rust stains up the ying yang, but no pitting. This PC is about 8 years old and I have on one occasion used tap water. That was because I was in the middle of a project and ran out of distilled so I mixed about 50/50. Just that once my rocker got hard water deposits that are still there. But I only have rust mark and no pitting. Now I have a buddy that has a new PC less than 6 month old and it looks it a 100 years old. He uses the local tap water.

#10 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

I've had my presto for over 17 years now - it's ugly as all fuck, and one of the plastic lid handles straight up broke off a few years ago - I have to grab one handle and the pressure gauge to open and close it ... the bottom is stained all to shit and probably pitted too ...

But the aluminum is thick, and I'm good about checking the rubber stopper to make sure it's pliable - that thing will pop long before the base explodes, and if it doesn't, your next "Presto" brand PC will be called "Soliver's Presto Company Cooker."  I'm already pretty damn ugly, so no disfigurement case would hold up in court, but I have a great lawyer who would have me owning the company just on emotional distress and loss of consort ...

I have a mid-size American brand PC, and I could easily afford a larger one, but I don't want to end up on yet another federal watchlist, so I'm sticking with the Presto until it's truly fuck'd ...

:)

soliver

• coorsmikey and Microbe like this

#11 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

For what it's worth my presto developed horrible pits in under 2 years. I always used tap of course. I have a 40+ year old all american that was used the same way as the presto that has some staining but zero pitting. I'll post some pics tomorrow, it's really bad.

• Juthro likes this

#12 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

Are steel PCs any less likely to pit? Mines got some white spots (that dont seem to want to come off) on the bottom.

#13 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

Are steel PCs any less likely to pit? Mines got some white spots (that dont seem to want to come off) on the bottom.

Those white spots are probably mineral deposits.  If they bug you, try some lime-away or some such stuff, but unless you're cooking real food in it, I wouldn't sweat it.

On the other hand, you could cook up a big batch of tomato sauce in there - that'll strip pretty much anything off the bottom IME.

soliver

• Juthro and Cuboid like this

#14 sandman

sandman

Darth Cultivar

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

I don't think you are supposed to use lime away on aluminum.

#15 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

Q. Where can I use LIME-A-WAY®?

LIME-A-WAY® can be used to clean many surfaces that come into contact with hard water, such as the bathtub, bathroom tiles, shower doors, sinks, and toilet bowl. In general, the product should be used on hard, non-porous surfaces.

LIME-A-WAY® is not recommended for use on natural marble, stone, terrazzo, polished or anodized aluminum, metallic or painted surfaces, colored grout or counter tops. Please see product label for full details and precautions.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,551 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW) when used as directed is safe for aluminum, according to the manufacturer. I've personally never used it on an aluminum pot, but it strips all mineral deposits very well from my stainless steel beer kettle. An overnight soak and then a wipe down with a wash rag works well for me.

I don't worry about mineral deposits in my canner, though I do use filtered water in it, it is not distilled and still has mineral content.

#17 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

Q. Where can I use LIME-A-WAY®?

LIME-A-WAY® is not recommended for use on natural marble, stone, terrazzo, polished or anodized aluminum, metallic or painted surfaces, colored grout or counter tops. Please see product label for full details and precautions.

Your PC interior is not polished or anodized ... if you find an anodized aluminum PC, hook me with a link, as I'm always looking for ways to keep aluminum outta my grub ...

I've used lime away on the PC with no unfortunate side effects - that said, if you're not using your PC to cook beans (I do quite frequently) then I wouldn't sweat any buildup ...

soliver

• Cuboid likes this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,551 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

I only use my canner as a canner, and don't cook food directly in it. So my beans are getting cooked in pint jars.

I want one of those stainless steel Presto PC's just for cooking stuff, but santa says I haven't been good enough yet.
  • Soliver and Microbe like this

#19 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Goes off to Google hard water aluminum reaction ...

No straight forward answer found sadly.
Feel like I need to go study some chemistry. It seems just about any metal or salt when with aluminum and water will corrode the aluminium. Which just leaves me wondering how we get away with building anything out of aluminium and it surviving more than 5 minutes in anything but an artificially inert environment (I get that aluminium oxidises very quickly and the oxide layer then protects the aluminium beneath from further oxidation, this doesn't help much when its wet though).

I have a friend who is more metal/mechanical high temp and pressure biased engineer, I'll ask him to take a look at it (my PC) I think.
Manufacturers web site and the product manual don't make any mention of pitting or hard water issues. It was rather cheap so if my friend thinks its risky to use or attempt to remedy it'll go to the scrap metal skip.
  • Soliver likes this

#20 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,114 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

I want one of those stainless steel Presto PC's just for cooking stuff, but santa says I haven't been good enough yet.

I'd love to get one of the stainless models, but they're too damn small ... when I make a batch of venison chili, it's a BATCH of freakin' chili and I need a big goddamn pressure cooker to do the triple-batch ... someday they'll catch up to me?  :P

I love my scrap metal pile.  Anything metal out here get riddled with bullet holes THEN goes to the recycling dudes, who don't really care what it looks like ...

OK, so I dare you to fill that PC, light a fire under it, THEN shoot it from 100 yards once it reaches pressure ... just sayin ....

soliver

• Juthro, Needles and Cuboid like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!