• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Trian3

Trian3

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hard tap water will destroy your PC with a lil time. Use distilled water to prevent the pitting from getting worse and to extend the life of any PC.

Good bit of advice.  I bought a 25qt AA just recently and after only 3 uses there's already a lot of staining on the bottom and on the trivets. I'm going to be buying some PBW to clean it out before it gets worse, then will use distilled from there on out.

Anyone know if you can re-use your distilled water without any ill effect if just using it for sterilizing in the PC?

#22 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

IME, discoloration is to be expected. My AA921 is pretty black around the water line and bellow, and the trivets are also quite stained. But both have been in use for years, but besides their cosmetic appearance they are as functional as when they were new.

If you have really nasty water that is leaving a lot of deposits you could do like I do (our water is hard here), and run a gravity filter system instead of buying distilled water.

https://www.youtube....uEPkYdGZXU Hereis a link to the kind of DIY filer I run.

The filters themselves are expensive (about $100 for two), but are rated at 3000 gal life span per filter, so my set up with two filters lasts for around 6000gal of filtered water.  That figures out to 4gal of filtered water a day for a little over 4years on a set of filters. Or with a little more mathterbation, it comes out to about  $.016 a gallon of filtered water.
  • Trian3 likes this

#23 Trian3

Trian3

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

IME, discoloration is to be expected. My AA921 is pretty black around the water line and bellow, and the trivets are also quite stained. But both have been in use for years, but besides their cosmetic appearance they are as functional as when they were new.

If you have really nasty water that is leaving a lot of deposits you could do like I do (our water is hard here), and run a gravity filter system instead of buying distilled water.

https://www.youtube....uEPkYdGZXU Hereis a link to the kind of DIY filer I run.

The filters themselves are expensive (about $100 for two), but are rated at 3000 gal life span per filter, so my set up with two filters lasts for around 6000gal of filtered water.  That figures out to 4gal of filtered water a day for a little over 4years on a set of filters. Or with a little more mathterbation, it comes out to about  $.016 a gallon of filtered water.

I love this idea!  I'm so doing that!

Love this!.gif

• Juthro likes this

#24 Trian3

Trian3

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Are these the filters you use?  https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00BWIWW1Y/

Also, do they come with the washers and nuts to secure to the lid top as shown in the video?  If not, do you know what size I'd need?

Edited by Trian3, 12 January 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Yes, those are them. The washers and wing nuts are included. You will also need a primer bulb for when you first assemble your filter (you prime them before you install them).

https://www.amazon.c...CEMENT filters

A lot of times amazon will sell it included with a pair of filters as a package deal, you just have to look around a little bit. You only need one, and it is reusable for future filters.

You do have to clean the filters every few months or so, depending on how dirty the water your filtering is, and how much your filtering. Cleaning is easy though, you just disassemble them from the bucket and lightly scrub the surface of the filters with a green scrubby pad. You'll know when they are dirty cuz it will start taking much longer for the water to filter through. And once clean, they work like new again.

We use the filter system for all our cooking, and drinking water as well (including animals). It has proven to be a very nice system for us, and makes the coffee taste a lot better too :)

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

And try to use food grade buckets, I think wall mart sell them with lids for reasonable prices (look in the paint section). I got mine from a local bakery for about $5 each IIRC, I believe they originally had some kind of specialty pastry flour in them.

Anyway (I get sidetracked easy), try to avoid the colored plastic buckets (like Home Depot 'Homer' buckets) if you can.

It's not fancy, but its cheap :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0086 (1).jpg

• coorsmikey likes this

#27 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Juthro, you should start a topic on your DIY Berkey if you haven’t already. It is definitely worthy of its own title. Good stuff.

Who doesn’t like cheap clean water?
Direwolf has a thread somewhere around about a manufactured Berkey, now I got to look for it.

Edited by coorsmikey, 12 January 2018 - 09:32 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

Juthro, you should start a topic on your DIY Berkey if you haven’t already. It is definitely worthy of its own title. Good stuff.

Who doesn’t like cheap clean water?
Direwolf has a thread somewhere around about a manufactured Berkey, now I got to look for it.

I kind of remember that thread of his. Berkey makes a great filter, but their store bought systems are pretty expensive, IMHO. Though they do look a little classier then my bucket system, lol.

You let me know where you want me to start the thread on them, and I'll be happy to write it up.

#29 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 4,391 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Back to the land can use some attention and lifestyles as well :)

#30 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

Hard tap water will destroy your PC with a lil time. Use distilled water to prevent the pitting from getting worse and to extend the life of any PC.

I dunno I have a 10 yr old All American 941 that has had a steady diet of ONLY hard water (we are talking 400+ TDS), and has ZERO pitting after a decade of heavy use.  I will add that I use a splash of white vinegar with each run to reduce the white scum on the outside of the jars.  I also empty it promptly and wipe it out with a clean towel before storing it.  No soap, no rinse, just a dry clean towel, then shelf it.

• sandman, Needles and Microbe like this

#31 bezevo

bezevo

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:57 AM

some good tips in this thread thanks

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!