©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

mycogone perniciosa or paranoia? pleurotus eryngii on pf cakes

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Paranoia, vigilance, or both?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Paranoia, vigilance, or both?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

So I grabbed some myc from the inner stipe of a store bought pleurotus eryngii (king oyster/royal trumpet). I had it on some grain spawn and attempted to fruit it "oss & oeric" style, out of the top of the jar like they do on farms.

Like this:

gallery_147940_1513_7367.jpg

Oss & Oeric:

64768.jpg

Anywho, it got wet bubble disease and I spent the next 48hrs cleaning as the spores are a bitch and infected a red boy culture. I'm not sure if the parasitic fungi piggybacked in or infected the jar via airborne spores.

Cut to now and I have placed the same culture onto PF cakes and I don't know if I'm being paranoid or vigilant. Take a look and see:

gallery_147940_1513_239019.jpg

gallery_147940_1513_874573.jpg

This is the picture from today (above was yesterday), I've ditched that top cake as I didn't like how globular the growth looked. It hasn't shown the amber droplets that shows up with wet bubble, but I'm not convinced that it's disease free:

gallery_147940_1513_954629.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not (well about this).

Any help/insight/observations would be appreciated!

Additional links on mycogone perniciosa:

http://americanmushr...org/wet-bubble/

http://en.agaricus.r...seases/mycogone

• sandman, Microbe, Jeepster and 2 others like this

#2 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

I'm not familiar with what eryngii looks like pre-pinning so I couldn't tell you for sure at this stage. Obviously if it was a cube grow I would be alarmed for sure though.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

I grew these outdoors last year. The primordia were under a casing layer of soil but some of the exposed areas appeared just as the surface in your photos. 

I'm thinking you're in good shape and just being hyper-vigilant. 

This is a good thread to follow since most folks make a presumption - and then start taking action (instead of observing and asking questions). An experienced cultivator knows how to tap his resource base prior to taking action. 

You're likely to get some bigguns'. I like the taste - waaaay better than other oysters. 

• Microbe, CatsAndBats and Jeepster like this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

I grew these outdoors last year. The primordia were under a casing layer of soil but some of the exposed areas appeared just as the surface in your photos. 

I'm thinking you're in good shape and just being hyper-vigilant. 

This is a good thread to follow since most folks make a presumption - and then start taking action (instead of observing and asking questions). An experienced cultivator knows how to tap his resource base prior to taking action. 

You're likely to get some bigguns'. I like the taste - waaaay better than other oysters. 

Thanks! I mean I did throw one out but I was on my first cup of coffee and I can't be held responsible for any actions before I'm up for an hour. :biggrin: Regardless, I do rely almost as heavily on this site as I always have!

I do have the wild found phoenix on cakes and on agar as a back up.

• Myc likes this

#5 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

It hasn't shown the amber droplets that shows up with wet bubble, but I'm not convinced that it's disease free. 

So as long as it doesn't get amber droplets it should be good? I have been watching 5 jars that look like they have bubbles on them much like these do but I can't find anything telling me if their no good or not. been watching for about 2 weeks and the bubble haven't changed much in size but still don't have any discoloration. Its just white like mycelium. Does mycelium grow like this sometimes? Sorry not trying to jack your thread here Cats. Just curious before I put these in my chamber and end up having nothing but a mess to clean up.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

It hasn't shown the amber droplets that shows up with wet bubble, but I'm not convinced that it's disease free. 

So as long as it doesn't get amber droplets it should be good? I have been watching 5 jars that look like they have bubbles on them much like these do but I can't find anything telling me if their no good or not. been watching for about 2 weeks and the bubble haven't changed much in size but still don't have any discoloration. Its just white like mycelium. Does mycelium grow like this sometimes? Sorry not trying to jack your thread here Cats. Just curious before I put these in my chamber and end up having nothing but a mess to clean up.

Technically that's not a hijack, plus I don't mind, my threads are freeform-ish anyway.

Wet bubble in its later stages looks like this:

mushrooms-infected-with-mycogene-sp-disp

It's from the dry bubble page at Penn State: https://extension.ps...lium-dry-bubble

Dry bubble (verticillium) has amber droplets too, but not nearly as concentrated.

Here's some pics of mycogone from microbe, showing the globular fruit distortions:

https://mycotopia.ne...doms/?p=1337798

12a459a4a6cca7aabc49464dda851d2c.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 21 December 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• Microbe and Jeepster like this

#7 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

The ones on my cakes don't seem to protrude like the ones in your pictures they just look like little raised up sections of mycelium but they are also still in the jar so they don't really have room to grow out. It's like theres a small flat pocket of air underneath it. I guess I'll just watch carefully and maybe even spawn them into a smaller container just to watch them at first. Fingers crossed. Hope everything works out on your end though.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

The ones on my cakes don't seem to protrude like the ones in your pictures they just look like little raised up sections of mycelium but they are also still in the jar so they don't really have room to grow out. It's like theres a small flat pocket of air underneath it. I guess I'll just watch carefully and maybe even spawn them into a smaller container just to watch them at first. Fingers crossed. Hope everything works out on your end though.

Pics?

#9 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

Pics?

I tried taking a few and I cant really get a good clear picture while its in the jar but I will be sure to take pictures and post the day I take them out of the jar.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#10 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:16 AM

Those are fine. I see healthy primordia. Keep the RH up as kings are massive and will suck those cakes dry in no time. King oysters are the easiest mushroom to grow IME. I've left them in a dry warm room with humidity in the 40-50% range and they fruited abundantly with only a few cracked caps. They also taste amazing (best of the oysters by far) and they have been found to dramatically increase testosterone in elk. https://examine.com/...ts/king-oyster/

Edited by DonShadow, 22 December 2017 - 01:19 AM.

• Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#11 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:04 AM

I wasnt aware of much that parasitises King Oysters. Or Oysters full stop. But Ive got some getting stuck into some sawdust ATM so I'm keeping an eye on them.....

• CatsAndBats likes this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

post-147940-0-86311800-1513959995.jpg

Looks like pins to me! Look at those beautiful lil caps developing!

Attached Thumbnails

• KINGOYSTERPINS.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 22 December 2017 - 11:28 AM.

• sandman, Needles, Microbe and 4 others like this

#13 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

If I do recall correctly you told me this yesterday but... Nice looking clusters my friend!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#14 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

Beautiful. I see many tasty mushrooms in your future.
  • Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#15 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

Yea man, excellent! How long ago where they inoculated?

• Microbe likes this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

I don't remember

They took a little longer than a regular inoculation as I just placed the colonized agar on the top of the cake.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 22 December 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#17 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

Isn't it relieving to see results happening ?

I suspected you were in for a treat.

When you're used to growing actives - edibles can throw you for a loop. 

Way to hang in there and ask questions. 

• sandman and CatsAndBats like this

#18 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

Looks like normal pins to me, some might abort and stay as they are.

They always seem to start as cap free lumps in low O2.

IMG_20170306_171645.jpg

Edited by Ferather, 23 December 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

post-147940-0-04417500-1514136499.jpg

Here's moments ago! They do look purdy!

DonShadow wasn't lying, these mofos suck up water like sponges! I spray them directly and an hour later they are dry on the mycelial surface.

Attached Thumbnails

• kingoyster12_24.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 24 December 2017 - 12:32 PM.

• onediadem, coorsmikey, Jeepster and 1 other like this

#20 TheHunkHogan

TheHunkHogan

Pencils

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

*Gasp.... That’s a pretty sweet sight! Wow.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!