6 replies to this topic

#1 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

I haven't seen it discussed much on here.  Or maybe its my continuing inability to navigate the search box.  But California is voting on magic mushroom legalization in 2018.  Curious what people's thoughts are on the matter.

Will it be a domino game now that pot is legalizing across the board?  For a guy who cut his teeth growing guerilla in the Coastal rain forests of the pacific northwest when that asshole Reagan was in office it is something I thought I'd never see.  Now I can walk to the pot shop and buy a bag any time  I want.  And that is on top of having plants in the open in my pad.

Also how hard is it really to get a petition going and on the ballot.  I'm fairly sure in my own state it would at least have a fifty fifty chance of passing if it came up but no one wants to put forth the effort to get it on the ballot.

• Spooner likes this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:19 AM

It looks like they need about 365,000 signatures to get it on the ballot.  If they can get those it'll definitely be worth talking about!  Just getting that far would be an accomplishment.

Even in California, I wonder if the voters are "there" yet. 

Also, the guy who started the initiative is in the news talking about how mushrooms came to Earth on a meteor and could be a form of communication from alien life.  Maybe he's totally right but I'm not sure if that kind of talk will help the cause when the support of the general public is needed.

Edited by Sidestreet, 27 December 2017 - 06:28 AM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro, Spooner and 1 other like this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,915 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

Don't forget, there's Orange County voting.

• Sidestreet likes this

#4 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

It looks like they need about 365,000 signatures to get it on the ballot.  If they can get those it'll definitely be worth talking about!  Just getting that far would be an accomplishment.

Even in California, I wonder if the voters are "there" yet. 

Also, the guy who started the initiative is in the news talking about how mushrooms came to Earth on a meteor and could be a form of communication from alien life.  Maybe he's totally right but I'm not sure if that kind of talk will help the cause when the support of the general public is needed.

Yeah if I were to get an initiative going in my own state I'd avoid all the blah, blah, blah talk.  Public speaking is an artform few people comprehend.  You have to gauge what benefits your audience is gonna achieve through this action.

'Becuase aliens man' isn't gonna win hearts and minds.  Even though I might be open to the subject myself I'm not going for the hard sell.

If I were to create a petition movement I'd stress factors of benefit to everyone.

1.  Studies showing reduction in prison recidivism

2.  Mushrooms being of benefit to reducing various addictions

3.  Anxiety reduction

4.  Creation of new neural pathways and their use in Silicon Valley via microdosing to create effective coding and help develop new technologies.

And of course the big one......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Look at all the money pouring into states that legalize cannabis.  Even if the mushrooms weren't being sold in shops the state to legalize would fast become a mecca for psychedellic tourists.  My own hope is to someday start a shamanic retreat where people can come and safely consume mushrooms in a semi supervised setting.

I'd personally like to see mushrooms legalized for personal use and posession or in part of a religious ceremony but at this point I think legalization for selling at shops like with pot is probably a bad idea.

• Sidestreet likes this

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

legalization for selling at shops like with pot is probably a bad idea.

I'm all for it!

#6 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

I'm curious what its like gathering signatures anyways?  Do you just get a booth at the fair and rope people in?  How does this work? 

In this day and age is it possible to do it electronically?  Or do people still have to show up and sign the petition in person?

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

IME it's people with billboards standing in public places or going door to door. 

If you're in a position to help I bet dude would send you the forms...

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!