• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 KristusApollo

KristusApollo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

I tried running a search on dehydrators in the forums and this question might have been answered but I wasn't able to find a topic that answered these two questions other than "yes, you can use a dehydrator":

1. At what temperature should a dehydrator be run to dehydrate mushrooms?
  2. How long should the dehydrator be run?

I know there are a lot of variables such as local humidity, type of mushroom, quantity of mushrooms to dry, etc. I'm just looking for ball park numbers as a starting point. For example, is 125-145 F(51-63 C) a good range for say 6-12 hours checking hourly?

Thanks.

#2 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:17 PM

I tried running a search on dehydrators in the forums and this question might have been answered but I wasn't able to find a topic that answered these two questions other than "yes, you can use a dehydrator":

1. At what temperature should a dehydrator be run to dehydrate mushrooms?
  2. How long should the dehydrator be run?

I know there are a lot of variables such as local humidity, type of mushroom, quantity of mushrooms to dry, etc. I'm just looking for ball park numbers as a starting point. For example, is 125-145 F(51-63 C) a good range for say 6-12 hours checking hourly?

Thanks.

I took the heating element out of my dehydrator. You don't want to project heat on to the mushrooms as it will mess with their potency. If you have a way to just run the fan on it do that and then I just let it run on them for about 24 hours and they are usually very dry when done. After that I take them and put them in a container with silica gel packets to remove any left over water for about another 24 hours then put them into freezer bags and freeze them.

There isn't really a specific time to do it. It shouldn't really depend on the strain either so much as it would depend on the level of humidity you kept your fruiting chamber at. Just so long as they are good and dry when you are done. If you are going to use heat I would be very cautious so you don't ruin your fruits. That would be a shame.

• KristusApollo likes this

#3 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:23 AM

They can handle up to 130F without serious loss of potency i do mine at 90F works quick at that temp

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:27 AM

I disabled the heat element in mine also. Why risk it?

• Marleyahu and KristusApollo like this

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

The heat won't effect potency. I run mine at the lowest overnight.
  • Microbe and KristusApollo like this

#6 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

The heat won't effect potency. I run mine at the lowest overnight.

I wish I would have asked about this before tearing the heating element out of mine  :dry:  Oh well.. I don't really use it for anything other than these mushrooms. It really doesn't seem to take long with just a fan anyways. they are always pretty much bone dry when I take them out after 24 hours. 

#7 KristusApollo

KristusApollo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone for your experiences. I'll definitely try the dehydrator when the time's right.

#8 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

145F for 12 hours, no loss of potency.

• Da-1, Microbe, CatsAndBats and 3 others like this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Twelve hours? Do you live underwater?

• sandman likes this

#10 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

I have started doing mine at 30C, overnight and keep them in a zip lock bag in the freezer.

#11 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

I live in a pineapple. Under the sea.

• Da-1, CatsAndBats and PaceArrow like this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,208 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

I live in a pineapple. Under the sea.

spongebob panties.jpg

Is this you?

• bezevo and Marleyahu like this

#13 Marleyahu

Marleyahu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Mmmmmmmm. I sure do love spongebob!

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,100 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:08 PM

we had 90% humidity today

#15 PinkMenace

PinkMenace

Psychochump

• VIP
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:49 PM

Twelve hours? Do you live underwater?
I do it at 145f for 24 hours. However I also rinse the shrooms ahead of time so they are quite wet and I'm paranoid about them not drying thoroughly. You both are my seniors, though (to give context for other readers).

I think the take away is as hot as you want and as long as it's needed. Cracker dry!

Edited by PinkMenace, 07 September 2018 - 11:50 PM.

• sandman likes this

#16 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:14 AM

I've experienced potency loss using any amount of heat. That's why I'm a huge fan of heat-less desiccation PF style. 

#17 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:14 AM

I've experienced potency loss using any amount of heat. That's why I'm a huge fan of heat-less desiccation PF style. 

no you havent

• TVCasualty and adrian118 like this

#18 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

@Sandman. What makes you say that? 

I've shared this story many times.....

My buddy wanted to trip. I had freshies at the time, and I brought him 35 grams. He said Yuk! I want them dried, not fresh. So he put them in his food dehydrator at the lowest temperature, dried them out, and ate them. He thought he had a great trip. A couple of weeks later, he and a buddy came over and grabbed a 1/4 of some of the same batch that I'd used heatless dessication on. I remember him telling our other friend who was apprehensive about an eighth, " Don't worry, I ate an eighth a couple of weeks ago, and it was fine" Which turned out to be famous last words. He told me the next day, that they were so toasted way beyond what he expected, and that he was sold on heatless dessication. It's true. Heatless is best.

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,367 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:32 PM

In my experience heat from a dehydrator doesn't affect potency to any noticeable degree.   I have dried shrooms both ways, and found using heat is much faster, and more consistent then using desiccant, and is the method I would suggest. 

IMO, the most important thing is just making sure to get them cracker dry, no matter the method, so they don't turn nasty on you in storage.

#20 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

Your anecdotal experience has many possibilities as why your friend didn't get a good experience, none of which is that heat is the culprit. Multispore mushrooms can vary, harvesting mushrooms and then waiting days to dry them is not good, your friend can have medications or chemical imbalance, who knows. But nearly 20 years of drying mushrooms with heat experience here, and drying without heat is not the way to go. Me and hundreds and hundreds of other people all across the OMC. Drying without heat makes ugly mushrooms. Unless you live in the desert or  0 humidity, that can make a difference.

If temperature killed the magic, you wouldn't be able to cook freshies and trip right? Lots of good pizzas cooked at high temperatures and delicious teas say that heat doesnt kill the magic. psilocybin melting point is over 400 degrees. Look it up.

Edited by sandman, 21 May 2021 - 07:30 AM.

• phlegmbae and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!