35 replies to this topic

#21 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:41 PM

Yup eaten plenty of heated up psilo and tripped my balls off. Fried up fresh cubes with butter and garlic salt, or make some nice tea at 100 C.

Like seriously tripped my balls off on Tea

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 21 May 2021 - 01:42 PM.

• Juthro and Mycol like this

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,279 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

@Sandman. What makes you say that? 

I've shared this story many times.....

My buddy wanted to trip. I had freshies at the time, and I brought him 35 grams. He said Yuk! I want them dried, not fresh. So he put them in his food dehydrator at the lowest temperature, dried them out, and ate them. He thought he had a great trip. A couple of weeks later, he and a buddy came over and grabbed a 1/4 of some of the same batch that I'd used heatless dessication on. I remember him telling our other friend who was apprehensive about an eighth, " Don't worry, I ate an eighth a couple of weeks ago, and it was fine" Which turned out to be famous last words. He told me the next day, that they were so toasted way beyond what he expected, and that he was sold on heatless dessication. It's true. Heatless is best.

One anecdote is not really enough to draw any conclusions from.

There are so many variables involved in tripping that two people taking the exact same dose of the exact same batch (blended up and divided equally) usually have similar levels of subjective effects but sometimes the experiences can be/feel vastly different. Eating them on an empty vs. full stomach will often change how strong a particular dose feels.

I've had to trip-sit real close for a friend who was losing it on an eighth a few years ago after I'd taken 6g in lime juice. But she was also processing the untimely death and likely murder of her sister while I was merely looking to adjust my attitude a bit while having a wild time doing it (it worked).

A long time ago it became apparent to me that the classic entheogens have a way of giving us what we need rather than what we want, dosage be damned. Sometimes we need to not trip even if we want to. Sometimes we get rocked to our core on a couple of grams when we'd intended to have a light, fun evening watching movies.

• phlegmbae, Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and 2 others like this

#23 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:47 PM

In fact even in a clinical settings with precise dosage they have difficulty studying the effects.  The mushroom works in mysterious ways and I love it

• phlegmbae, Juthro and Mycol like this

#24 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2021 - 12:09 AM

In my experience they're still plenty potent when set in a dehydrator set at 65c. I just throw them in and take them out the next day. Quantity, size, and external conditions will affect drying times but 12 hours at 65 has always ensured cracker dry shrooms regardless of these variables.

The only time my mushrooms have lost noticeable potency due to heat was the first time I'd foraged for wild P.subaeruginosa.. I preheated an oven to 250c and then placed them inside. As you can imagine introducing mushrooms to this temperature cause rapid expansion of the cells to bursting. My friends whom had come foraging and up until this point had been excited in anticipation of their first psilocybin trip watched on in horror as they turned black and all moisture leeched out into the drip pan below.

• Juthro, newmoon and Mycol like this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,367 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:03 AM

250C...?  damn brother.... why for did you do that?    So me and my imperial system friends understand, that's 482F.   That's pizza oven temps.

Even with batter, and deep frying in oil, like DrMcNasty did, it only subjects them to around 350 to 375F at most.  I'm not trying to knock you, or what you did, but why would you do that?  I dont know if maybe I missed something.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#26 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2021 - 03:07 AM

Lack of knowledge and understanding among other deficits. To be frank I'm surprised I made it to adulthood given the silly things we did at that age.

Edited by smellitstinknot, 23 May 2021 - 03:08 AM.

• Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER, Mycol and 1 other like this

#27 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:15 AM

@ Sandman. After you'd pointed out that low temperature on a food dehydrator has no effect on potency, I went and spoke to my friend. While the incident that I'd previously mentioned occurred in 2007, I asked him what temp he'd set his dehydrator to. He told me that because he wanted to trip that very night, that he'd put his dehydrator on high. Which explains the massive drop in potency. I distinctly remember telling him that heat destroys the alkaloids, and that he should use the lowest heat setting, or disable the heat entirely. Live, and learn.

#28 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

I've always used the high heat setting (160F or something) on my dehydrator without issue; I think your friend's problem was something else

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,367 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:38 PM

Lack of knowledge and understanding among other deficits. To be frank I'm surprised I made it to adulthood given the silly things we did at that age.

Fair enough :)

#30 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:45 PM

I disconnected and then reconnected the heater on my dehydrator. Think it's 145deg at the top vent. It took 2 days to dry without it. Plus they never seemed quite "cracker dry". I might try the dessicant some day, but it's just another step to add. Either way it's all just a matter of preference, but can testify there's plenty of magic after drying with heat.

And I have to agree that mushrooms really vary. Sometimes you'll just get a few good mushrooms that blow your mind no matter how they're dried. Then hope and pray your clones came from that one.
  • Juthro likes this

#31 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,135 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2021 - 09:59 PM

I'm sure that when deep fried at at 375 I'm only reaching 165 internal temp max. Once you pick that mushroom psilocin starts to degrade into Psilocybin. Still active but psilocin seems to be a lot more colorful to me. I prefer to go from the sub to the brain as quickly as possible for best results.

To answer the heat question psilocybin melts between 428–442 °F so anything under that should be fine.

#32 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:46 PM

Just FYI when you dry you lose the psilocin no matter when heat you dry at and are left with mostly just psilocybin.

Freshies you get both and some say a much stronger trip.

That said I’m still testing out my own grows and comparing but from a science perspective that’s why your friend would have such a better trip on freshies it wasn’t the heat setting used in the drying it was drying them at all. You can use zero heat and you still lose most of the psilocin

@Sandman. What makes you say that? 

I've shared this story many times.....
My buddy wanted to trip. I had freshies at the time, and I brought him 35 grams. He said Yuk! I want them dried, not fresh. So he put them in his food dehydrator at the lowest temperature, dried them out, and ate them. He thought he had a great trip. A couple of weeks later, he and a buddy came over and grabbed a 1/4 of some of the same batch that I'd used heatless dessication on. I remember him telling our other friend who was apprehensive about an eighth, " Don't worry, I ate an eighth a couple of weeks ago, and it was fine" Which turned out to be famous last words. He told me the next day, that they were so toasted way beyond what he expected, and that he was sold on heatless dessication. It's true. Heatless is best.

• phlegmbae likes this

#33 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:48 PM

I was under the impression there were both present in the beginning and one degrades the other doesn’t. This is the first time I’ve heard someone say it was converting psilocybin not just disappearing.

I'm sure that when deep fried at at 375 I'm only reaching 165 internal temp max. Once you pick that mushroom psilocin starts to degrade into Psilocybin. Still active but psilocin seems to be a lot more colorful to me. I prefer to go from the sub to the brain as quickly as possible for best results.
To answer the heat question psilocybin melts between 428–442 °F so anything under that should be fine.

• phlegmbae likes this

#34 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,135 posts

Donator

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:35 PM

I may be wrong about that but my point was that the psilocin is degrading.
  • phlegmbae and HawksTwelfth like this

#35 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:42 PM

ok just wondering if there was something behind that science wise but everything i have read agrees the psilocin degrades during any drying process with or without heat. 

Once my tubs produce enough fresh all at once I am definitely going to try it out, right now my tub only knocks out a half dozen smaller mushrooms each day (mostly from the sides) and i dont want to leave the fresh ones lying around long enough to build up enough.

I may be wrong about that but my point was that the psilocin is degrading.

#36 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,135 posts

Donator

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:27 PM

Unfortunately my first grow in years was harvested on a Monday. Maybe my second flush will happen closer to the weekend so I can get the fryer out

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!