• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paletti

paletti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:34 AM

Hey guys - I noticed that quite a few of my peyote have been dying - mostly the "decipiens". You can see in the picture 4 different varieties of peyote I planted one year ago (Don't mind the top ones - those are Astrophytum)... in the bottom of the photo, from left to right >  decipiens, caespitosa, regular, la popa (they're labeled in the photo, the decipiens is in the far left, well at least what's left of them.... what's wrong with them? 

In summer/autumn they were in a living room, indirect light in a north facing windowsill doing fine.... then a few months ago I put them in a 24/7 quite dark, cold (~50F) room..., not giving any water, and I'm pretty sure that's when the problems started. Should I put them back in the warm/bright room to wake them up?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_E2494.jpg

• Spooner and Heirloom like this

#2 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

Give them some light.  Even in the winter they seen to like at least 6+ hours a day of light to avoid stress.  I have had some begin to stretch looking for light, even when in winter dormancy.

An occasional spritz of water will not hurt them.

• paletti, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#3 paletti

paletti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

Thanks Spooner - will do!

• Spooner likes this

#4 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Wishing you successful grows.

Very fond of my Lophophora's, and always willing to share my experience with them.

Glad to meet another grower.

• paletti likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

Size wise, these plants do not appear old enough to handle long term winterization yet.

As spooner advised, I usually keep a warm, well lit environment with regular waterings for a full year on baby yotes. Even mature plants do not do as well in the dark. When you are low temp, keeping dry is important for mature plants, but they still need light to not etoliate.

I do not know your weather cycle, but if you have cold winters, seek dry but bright locations for your bigger plants. I personally would consider setting up a small fish tank with a reptile heater mat underneath. In this I place an inch to 2 inches of gravel, to diffuse any "Hot spots". Regular flourescent tubes will provide ample lighting and with the warmer temps in there you can water lightly. The humidity will be higher in the tank, helping the young yotes maintain some growth and full water stores in the flesh.

When the cactus get bigger and older, they can hold a good amount of water stores in the tap root, and can better handle the dryer conditions.

I really never ever put any of my cactus in the dark. It is just too un-natural to me.

I think you will see a rebounding in plumpness and color once you warm these up and get some moisture going again. Good growing to you and welcome paletti.

• paletti, wildedibles, Spooner and 2 others like this

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

If you can simulate peyotes natural environment you should do good. I looked at current temps , humidity and light conditions for Laredo TX an area where peyote grows wild. Today the high is 74F low of 56F humidity 79% and cloudy. Going to be in the 70's and sunny the rest of the week

A pic of some of my cactus at 5 months old, temps at 74F, I gave them a spray this morning. I am kinda concerned about the larger yote got some reddish around it was watered last May or June.

Always nice to meet people who grow, I'm hoping your cactus perk up, do let us know.

Attached Thumbnails

• cactuspix 002.JPG
  • cactuspix1 001.JPG

• paletti, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

We just got out week of 40below temps here my ccti re in the window they were in in the summer (doing fine dont move them ;))

I keep mine dry maybe water once month and south window but i have huge tree in the way blocking some sun

the sun is not too bright in the winter so they dont get too hot and will go dorment and not grow as long as you dont heat them a window sill is usually drafty no matter how good you winterize it .....do notplace in direct drafts cacti can and have froze here too close to a window (old 100 year old house)
  • paletti likes this

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

its warmed up some outside and the window sill where minne are is 55F or 13C but as long as they dont get too hot to grow that be in the 20C bout 70F very little water and loer light levels (like we get in winter) and they wont grow

if you want them to grow the advice up there is well worth a 2n 3rd and 4th :) read ask them Q cuz you got some smart people already chiming in

my babies did grow longer for the first couple years I just adjusted this when repotting burring bit further aand it worked just fine they plump now :)
  • paletti likes this

#9 paletti

paletti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! Unfortunately none of them made it. It wasn't the cold or darkness that killed them but  dozens of tiny black bugs sucking them dry :angry:  I'm pretty sure they were thrips. In the next grow I'll make sure I will follow your advice, keeping them longer well lit, warm and fed before emulating winter... but also I'll keep the growing area more protected and away from other plants. I suspect the thrips came from some kanna seedlings nearby. Ah well another lesson learned  :meditate:

• wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!