2 replies to this topic

#1 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,259 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

I'm converting to mostly container gardening come summer. I've had a lot of success growing our favorite herb indoors in felt pots and want to use them for my peppers, maters, herbs etc. Anybody used them outside? Do they dry out a whole lot quicker than standard pots? I expect them to need more watering, just don't know how much. I have a ways to lug water.

On a related note, anyone used these?

https://www.amazon.c...=watering stake

They're not gravity fed like blumats but rely on osmosis.

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

I'm taking notes since I'm planning on doing the same thing. My setup allows me to water with the lawn sprinklers so moisture loss is not really an issue - the outdoor garden is on an automated drip system. 

Cool idea. 

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 AM

I'm going to say it depends on what temperatures and RH you experience where you live. I tried them for a living wall, and thought I would be good because of the east (morning) lighting and partial shade the rest of the day. This is a cooler exposure. I however have very low humidity running from below 10% to around 20% max unless it rains. In my situation, in the winter cool months I could water every other or third day. Once warm weather came, 85-110 F, it was taking water twice a day, and I was disappointed.

I have however seen them set up in coastal locations where the temperatures and humidities are more a mediterranean climate. There it rarely gets above 80F, and the RH stays at 25%-35% or higher most of the time. Here they seem to thrive, and fine green mosses can be seen growing on the felt after they are established. Most I have seen that are successful use a drip watering system, since they are mostly used in upright gardens on walls.

Hope that helps.............

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!