#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Here is a what I think is a relevant video showing a similar brand of filter (they are interchangeable, if you don't want to go with Berkey in your DIY).

If your thinking of making one of these be very aware of the point he makes about not overtightening the wingnut, and in general be very gentle with the filters.

They are very delicate, and also heavy. They are not made to even support their own weight (especially once primed with water) horizontally while attached with the wing nut. It will break the threaded nipple off, and ruin an expensive filter. This goes for all brands of this style of filter.

https://www.youtube....o7fSVOYs&t=519s

Here are some more lab test results for your viewing pleasure.
http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/

Edited by Juthro, 16 January 2018 - 04:44 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#22 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

What I do know is when I was in Alaska my tap water came out brown or rust colored.

Look anything like this Mikey?

There might not be much left in the top tank, but it clearly is not the same color as the bottom bucket.

post-136504-0-07911000-1516165306.jpg

(did you notice the pic got photo bombed by my pepper plant)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0107 (1).jpg

Edited by Juthro, 17 January 2018 - 12:04 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#23 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

Whether you buy a unit from the site or make one yourself, it sounds good. The price on the website I looked at was actually pretty reasonable when you consider how much bottled water costs.

• Juthro likes this

#24 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:01 AM

post-105498-0-94599900-1516168789.jpeg

Pics or it didn’t happen? Is that how it goes?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1D3A2E65-BE18-48B4-A5D8-9E3348D7D2C4.jpeg

• Juthro likes this

#25 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:37 AM

I have a katadyn vario for hiking, camping, or shroom hunting. Some of the best money i have ever spent.

Edited by Furthur1, 17 January 2018 - 03:38 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

Those Katadyn units look pretty nice for a backpacking, hiking application, though I've haven't had the pleasure of using one yet. Have you had yours for a while? What kind of life span do you get from your filters?

The bucket system is not very portable, and is much more suited for basecamp, or in home use. But for home use its very nice to have the large reservoir for when your doing things like canning food, or other clean water intensive activities.

I keep two half gallon plastic vodka bottles of filtered water in the kitchen, to use like water pitchers. These get refilled from the filter system as needed. It's much more convenient then having to fill pans, coffee pots, ect, out of the filter system directly. The 1/2gallon size is nice to work with, and the plastic bottles are light and don't break. The PET bottles seem to have held up very well over time as well. It's a good system, until someone is drinking vodka and the bottles get mixed up.... lol

#27 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,764 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Jut, would collecting rain and snow water make your life easier?

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Jut, would collecting rain and snow water make your life easier?

I think I would want to filter rain or snow water before I used it. I know the birds have pooped on everything, lol.

EDIT: In all honesty, its not that bad here. We have better water then a lot of the state. I just think it vastly improves the quality of it when filtered. I'll still drink the water out of the tap, its safe, it just doesn't taste very good. And cooking with it can leave off tastes in your food.

I do have a friend that uses a filter like this to filter rain water collected from his roof with a gutter and barrel system. Its at his dry cabin, and it helps to eliminate the problem and expense of having to pack in all your potable water.

Edited by Juthro, 17 January 2018 - 11:44 PM.

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

I think its worth noting that in SHTF situation, good 'ole fashion Clorox is an easy and effective way to sanitize questionable water. 1 gal of bleach can sanitize well over 3000 gal of water for drinking. Though it wont do anything to eliminate chemicals or metals in the water.

Here is a link to an advertisement page from Clorox http://www.i4at.org/surv/bleach.htm

First let water stand until particles settle. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the chart.* Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops.

*Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification
2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Edited by Juthro, 17 January 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#30 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,764 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

it just doesn't taste very good. And cooking with it can leave off tastes in your food.

then I'll bet you filter your brew and distill waters :)

speaking of which - I'll probably own a micro mini pot/reflux combo before this month is over.

• Juthro likes this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

I'll probably own a micro mini pot/reflux combo before this month is over.

NICE :) I hope you share some of your adventures once you get to start playing with it.

#32 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,764 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

https://milehidistil...-purpose-tower/

Should receive a wine making kit tomorrow. Ordered a kit with everything but glassware to make 30 bottles of a mix of  3 Spanish grapes concentrate. It will go nicely with Pharmers' Phamous Paella.

• Juthro likes this

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,001 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

Congrats brother :) I think your going to enjoy your journey through the fermenting world.

I don't remember if I gave you this link before, so here it is. http://homedistiller.org/intro

Their forum (http://homedistiller.org/forum/) is not very friendly to new folks, but is chocked full of really, really good information. But they don't like to answer noob questions, so you end up reading a lot to find answers to the unknown.

These guys are the real deal though, and the amount of knowledge they have on the site is staggering.

EDIT: As a side note, that 2" tower that your getting will clamp right onto the top of US style sanke keg. That would give you a 15gal stainless steel boiler with your tower. And if you want to put fitting in the side of the keg, say for a electric hot water heater element to drive your boiler, they can be installed with a TIG welder, or you can silver solder them in yourself with a torch.

Just make sure all the pressure in the keg is released BEFORE you try and remove the ball check valve. Not that I think you wouldn't think of it, but others might read this and decide to try for themselves. It (the valve) comes right out once you remove the locking ring.

Edited by Juthro, 18 January 2018 - 12:29 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#34 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

It says 500 gallons per filter, depends on what your filtering. You have to maintenance the filter properly but you will be rewarded with significant results.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!