• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jfergs

Jfergs

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

K so I'm a real newb so please bare with me. Growing PE for the first time. I'm going to inoculate my cakes (verm/BRF) later on then put them in the incubator at 80 Fahrenheit.I've read they're very picky 80 while be good right? I want to use a peat/verm/calcium carbonate casing. Planning on 60/30/10 parts respectively and going to pasteurize any tips? Should I break the cakes up before putting them in the mix and should I dunk them quickly and roll in verm or do a 24 hour dunk? When I do add the cakes to the mix should I immediately start introducing light or should I keep it dark and for how long? Humidifying any general tips for that? Any non layman terms please include your easiest description. Thank everyone in advance.
Jferg

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,769 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

Welcome!

80 degrees is fine.

Here's a good oven pasteurization tek:  https://mycotopia.ne...eurization-123/

If you want to make a casing you can either leave the cakes whole or crumble them.  If you're casing there's no need to roll in vermiculite.  You can still dunk first, though.

With a casing, you'll crumble the cakes into a layer on the bottom of the pan, cover the crumbled cakes with your casing material, and then incubate until the mycelium starts growing through the casing material.

If you're doing a casing in a pan, you can put the pan in a tub with a layer of damp perlite on the bottom and mist the walls when you fan.

Does that all make sense?  I'm kinda tired today.  :)

Edited by Sidestreet, 13 January 2018 - 04:20 PM.

• bugs likes this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 9,734 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

With all due respect, I strongly advise against incubation, especially for a newer grower. Unless one's ambient room temps are dropping below 66f (even then they'll grow just fine IME) there's no reason to incubate anything  except for maybe agar plates. Remember even PF cakes generate heat as they colonize, so 80f can easily be above 80f inside the colonies.

Not to mention incubation is much more valuable to competitors.  bacteria and other primary decomposers like molds grow exponentially faster than cube myc, especially in warm and moist environments like a PF cake.

I don't incubate anything and I do alright:

post-147940-0-93228400-1515088662.jpg

From my penis envy devotion thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...us-of-my-penis/

I have heard that PE don't do well on cakes but I don't believe it.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 14 January 2018 - 01:43 PM.

• bugs, coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

You'll do well to listen to Cat on this.

I'm telling you, that Cat knows his Penis... (No, for real! He's got pictures he'll show you, and everything...)
  • bugs, wharfrat and CatsAndBats like this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 9,734 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

BOING!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!