• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#141 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 09:24 PM

Quick Q about the fruiting in the guide. How important is vermiculite, and are there alternatives to use?

Doesn't seem like any place has locally smaller than a 2cubic foot bag, slightly more than I'd need...

#142 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:23 PM

For which purpose exactly? Are you referring to the bed of vermiculite, in foil, to set cakes on? You can skip that and just set the cake on foil, but it really helps. You might use hydrated coir or peat in place of it
  • Micogi likes this

#143 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:24 PM

Vermiculite serves two purposes. The brown rice flour on it's own will clump and not allow myc to colonize.
The vermiculite on top is an aseptic barrier to try and prevent contamination getting to the nutritional rice under it. (saves your ass if you got bad technique)

• Micogi likes this

#144 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 12:19 AM

Sorry, I'm not following the Tek per say but trying to take bits from it.

Once my grow bag is colonized I'll probably fruit it in a chamber, but a more legit attempt than previous.

Page 26 says "One at a time, put the cakes into your bowl of damp vermiculite and roll them around so that the vermiculite sticks to the sides."

I'd cut the plastic off the colonized bag and cut it into two "cakes", setting it in pieces of foil in a perlite bottomed tub.

So I probably wouldn't need but a handful of vermiculite, I can try a garden center near me but I don't want to buy 2 CF for a handful lol

#145 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,127 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

Usually I have a harder time finding the big bags!  I find small bags at Lowe's, Home Depot, that kind of place.

• MushLuvR likes this

#146 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:33 AM

Usually I have a harder time finding the big bags!  I find small bags at Lowe's, Home Depot, that kind of place.

I usually buy Verm by the 4 Cubic Foot, but awhile back(couple months), the Grow Store I go to every once in awhile(HD was out they usually have the 2cu ft) said their was a shortage of VERM(factory/Covid issues) and they were sold out.  I had to go to a local hardware place to get a small overpriced bagged to get me through until I could get a Big bag.  I use it for my Cannabis Soil as well and you will get beat up by them small bags.  All the projects I do... BULK for everything.  It's the only way.  

Edited by MushLuvR, 20 November 2021 - 11:36 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#147 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,249 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2021 - 09:27 PM

i bought a gigantic 4 cu ft bag of verm from amazon for less than two of the little bags from lowes or home-despot

i am farly certan it won't go bad heh.................THRIFTY !

bez

Edited by bezevo, 20 November 2021 - 09:29 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!