Lignicolous, phenol decaying Cubensis, (Exports from another forum):
Decided to see if I can double the amount of tea solubles, note: increasing the amount of tea increases total acidity.
Using my digital pH pen, I measured my test recipe, and measured the amount of CaCO3 needed.
Water: Hard water, tap, contains calcium bicarbonate, pH 7.2-7.5.
100g Hard water, 3.2g Black tea, 0.8g CaCO3 - pH 5.9-6.0.
100g Hard water, 3.2g Black tea - pH 5.5-5.6.
Note: The above result will vary (water, tea).
The increased solubles should be equal to 50% of the normal amount of ME used (1.5g instead of 3g).
Currently T-Gel is roughly equal to 25% as malt extract, hence the optional flour additive.
Note: pH 5.5 should be fine for some mycelium, others may prefer higher.
So I tried double concentrate with added CaCO3, but it did not set properly (precipitate), so I'm trying without CaCO3.
Recipe: 150g Hard water, 4g Agar, 3.2g Black tea. Water + agar, first, then the tea bag is added.
I microwaved the solution using 25 second intervals, until 50g of water was lost.
03/01/2019 - Standard 18-24 hours response
The blue tint generated by the added MG (wedge) is nearly gone, the wedge also looks fairly clear with penetrative light.
The Cubensis is doing much better than I expected, almost as fast as T-Gel + MG. The double concentrate seems better.
Growth is fairly thick (populated), and visibly penetrative, it's thickest on the new agar (at the moment).
The wedge surface (bottom) has signs of white-rot style decay, turning yellow (bleached).
In addition, the wedge and agar have not turned dark like in previous tests.
No blue tint (wedge, MG).
05/01/2019 - Similar speed to full strength malt extract.
05/01/2019 - Evening, plus 8 hours from before.
Adaptation to pH and media composition, growth is no longer uniform, and now selective.
The adapted growth is equal in speed and population to white-rot oyster.
The adaptation has now passed around the wedge, which took a few days. All growth has now continued.
Growth is populated (branched), not rhizomorphic (clumped), its mostly flat (not aerial).
Speed is a little slower than ME, however there's no weak growth.
Today's images are a little misty due to a small circle of condensate directly above the wedge and growth, which indicates heat production.
Some of the mycelium looks coloured by my torch and the agar, ignore that, all growth is pure white and not discoloured.
As mentioned yesterday all growth has continued, overall speed is average, faster than cyans on ME.