Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Request Adivce on use of Seed Starter Mix as a top layer casing.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

I was told to try Jiffy seed starter mix as a top casing for my colonized spawn, so I couldnt Jiffy find so I used Miracle Grow seed starter mix which has the same stuff as Jiffy seed starter, but Miracle Grow seed starter mix also contains plant food. I layered the miracle grow on top of my colonized spawn as a Top casing.  Should I try to remove the Miracle Grow seed starter since it contains plant food or is it ok to leave it on ? Thank You

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

You should be ok
Casing layer is generally not a nutritious layer because you don’t want to encourage the mycoieum to eat and colonize it as thisncauses overlay and the sub will fruit poorly if at all.

I have seen the mirical grow stuff work. I don’t think there is a lot of fert or
Very strong fert since Seedlings have nutrition to grow and too strong of feet’s would burn the Seedlings
Fruit it and see and if it does not start to pin in a week or so check back in and we should be able to help with the next step

Edited by PsyBearknot, 07 February 2018 - 07:12 AM.

• wilspeak likes this

#3 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

You should be ok
Casing layer is generally not a nutritious layer because you don’t want to encourage the mycoieum to eat and colonize it as thisncauses overlay and the sub will fruit poorly if at all.

I have seen the mirical grow stuff work. I don’t think there is a lot of fert or
Very strong fert since Seedlings have nutrition to grow and too strong of feet’s would burn the Seedlings
Fruit it and see and if it does not start to pin in a week or so check back in and we should be able to help with the next step

Hello 

PsyBearknot , I am now waiting till the MYC is at 100% on the casting materials which are a Verm/Coir mix. I just put a thin layer of that Miracle Grow seed starter on top of the Verm/Coir mix. When it finally gets to 100% within a few weeks , if it doesnt pin within a week like you mentioned I will let you know . Thank You

Edited by wilspeak, 07 February 2018 - 09:29 AM.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#4 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

You should be ok

The container that you helped me with  has started to grow small mushrooms and its not 100% yet. I counted 2 mushrooms growing and I have not even put it into the SGFC,  the container is still covered, what should I do ? Should I leave it covered or put into fruiting?  Thank You

The container that you helped me with  has started to grow small mushrooms and its not 100% yet. I counted 2 mushrooms growing and I have not even put it into the SGFC,  the container is still covered, what should I do ? Should I leave it covered or put into fruiting?  Thank You

Edited by wilspeak, 09 February 2018 - 11:25 PM.

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

Just clarifying where you are I’m the process.

You used the words casting mix that your waiting to colonize 100%. I am thinking you mean substrate? Is this Verm/coir mix your substrate that is colonizing ? Then you added a casing layer of the seed starting mix to the top layer of the substrate? Did you let the surface of the substrate colonize to 100%. Before you added the casing layer?

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

You should be ok

The substrate is not 100% or the casing layer is not 100%

It is risky to put a container with a substrate into your fruiting chamberThat is not 100%. Makes It too easy for contamination to take hold.
If it is just the casing layer that is not 100% and you have mushrooms forming I’d toss into the fruiting chamber
  • wilspeak likes this

#7 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

You should be ok

The substrate is not 100% or the casing layer is not 100%

It is risky to put a container with a substrate into your fruiting chamberThat is not 100%. Makes It too easy for contamination to take hold.
If it is just the casing layer that is not 100% and you have mushrooms forming I’d toss into the fruiting chamber

Thank You

#8 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

Tom petty said it best. "The waiting is the hardest part"

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!