#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

I am starting a large garden this year.

I am starting my own plants in the basement for the garden AND for selling at a neighborhood plant sale

I have limited space in basement to expand for additional lighting to accomplish this indoor and will need to think of succession planting methods and early season natural sun outdoors.

Enter need for outdoor protection from hoop house / cold frame / green house

Garden will be raised bed no till for a goal of feeding / canning for a 4-6 person family that will be built from ground up this season.

I will need to be able to access it to move plants in and out and water extra...

So need to have this either so cheep and effective it can be torn down at time of need or something that can be taken up and put down at least more then one time.

Dedicated cold frames are cheeper but not as effective

Thought to build a 4x 8 bed and then support a hoop house or cold frame from the frame of bed - that way I would have a bed and a frame. - smaller frame for a little more money but not sure on design and if the containers are 12 inch the I can only get 33 plants so will have to build others

Green houses become larger spaces for the money but seem like a little more advanced construction gives me more bang at a certain size for the plants but I think a size I would need would take up a lot of space and might not be as mobile or take /up/down and also quality of look since I have to keep up appearances for the neighbors

Thoughts ?

What do you all use to extend your season that might fit these parameters
  • Skywatcher likes this

#2 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,405 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

I'm not sure if my greenhouse fits your parameters.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170601_063331.jpg

• onediadem, Juthro and Spooner like this

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:54 PM

Nice pix llama.

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,444 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

I personally have the opposite problem. I use this small greenhouse to keep the rain off in the winter.

mini greenhouse.jpeg

Heat is my biggest danger, so ideally my fantasy grow structure would be walk in size, air conditioned and humidified, and able to withstand 50 mph wind with some regularity. (notice the temp in this pic)

assorted cacti sized.jpg

If wind is not a factor, in your situation Psy, I think I would opt for larger hoop structures with heavy plastic cover, that could if needed be set up and taken down as needed. I think you could easily foster more "neighbor friendly appreciation"of the veiw, just by keeping things neat and bribing with small tokens of the final harvest.

Do you get cold enough to need to plan for heat? 

• PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

Like Skye suggested I would think row covers or low tunnels. We built a kind of redneck cross between a low tunnel and a green house for our crops. But we have to use them in the summer to protect against wind, and rain, as well as to extend the season.

They are 2X6 frames for the raised bed, and come out to about 4'X8'. The roof's frame was scabbed together with 2x2's. They have a polly panel roof and clear drop cloth for the ends and sides. The side have a board attached to the bottom (2x2, attached with staples and rolled in the plastic). For access you just lift the side up and place it on the roof. During heavy winds we will screw the board at the bottom to the frame to keep it from flapping like a sail.

The roofs are also set to drain into a gutter that dumps into a 32gal Rubbermaid garbage can at the low end of the tunnel, and then we use it to water with. But that part of the setup has to removed for winter as it wont handle the snow load.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0210.jpg

• PsyBearknot, Spooner and Lakegal7 like this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

I'm not sure if my greenhouse fits your parameters.

Beautiful
But no sorry that does not help

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

I personally have the opposite problem. I use this small greenhouse to keep the rain off in the winter.

attachicon.gifmini greenhouse.jpeg

Heat is my biggest danger, so ideally my fantasy grow structure would be walk in size, air conditioned and humidified, and able to withstand 50 mph wind with some regularity. (notice the temp in this pic)

attachicon.gifassorted cacti sized.jpg

If wind is not a factor, in your situation Psy, I think I would opt for larger hoop structures with heavy plastic cover, that could if needed be set up and taken down as needed. I think you could easily foster more "neighbor friendly appreciation"of the veiw, just by keeping things neat and bribing with small tokens of the final harvest.

Do you get cold enough to need to plan for heat?

Nice little design. I like it. Could be scaled up. Did you make it and follow plans for it ?

Yes we have times in negative digit colds.

I’m concerned about price when I go up to a hoop house but I’d it can be easily set up and taken down I’ll maneuver the funds to get it done.

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,444 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

I bought it as a kit, for around $50. My problem with these is they come with panel of a corrugated thin plastic. After the first windstorm blew out 2 sides and the doors disintegrated, I took it apart and replaced the panels with acrylic sheets. I also installed a secure hook lock so the door cannot open unless I open it. 

So add about $100 by the time I got done.

I cannot put anything in there mid summer. I could probably fire a ceramic pot though............................

• Juthro likes this

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

some day i will have a green house .

but in mean time buy a hog panel on sale at farm store for $15  ,stake it out in an arch add some heavy duty clear plastic .

tip of the day

• Juthro likes this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

some day i will have a green house .

but in mean time buy a hog panel on sale at farm store for $15  ,stake it out in an arch add some heavy duty clear plastic .

tip of the day

They are not a bad way to go.

Attached Thumbnails

• hog pannel.png

#11 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

the fancy Juthro  way   .

that does look nice

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

the fancy Juthro  way   .

that does look nice

Thanks for the complement brother. But I should be clear, that's its just what I want to build, and not what I have.

They are very nice unit for amount of money they cost IMHO.

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

I like the hog pannels
In the city they are 22 and difficult time finding some one to transport a 16ft piece
  • Juthro likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

I understand. Pretty much the same reason I haven't gone that route myself, yet.

My truck only has an 8' bed, and I don't own a trailer. Having to rent a bigger truck, or a trailer raises the price and effort required by quite a lot.

But if the right deal came along, I would go for it.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!