• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

Anyone order live L.Williamsii plants from Thailand to the US?

New to site, heres my two pet Pedros.

post-154949-0-11344000-1518738634 copy.jpg

• Skywatcher likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,889 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

Nice healthy looking Pedro's adrian. I have not personally, but know someone who ordered and received a very cool, variegated L williamsii, with yellow and red variegation with the green from Thailand. This was over 5 years ago, and I am afraid I can offer no advice for the current situation. CITES seems much more vigorous these days about confiscations.

I would say if you have decent references on the seller, you would have to consider it a crap shoot, and accept the risk of it getting snagged in customs and not getting to you ever. Most sellers will not be responsible for refunding. 

It also depends on if it would be sent with red flags pasted all over it, or packaged discreetly with little item description.

#3 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Skywatcher, I figured it was a gamble. Fingers crossed! 

#4 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

A year ago I received two L.w. from Thailand but it took a long time to arrive and the cacti had broken dormancy and formed a 1.5 cm white new growth bump or stretch while seeking light.  The packaging was however exceptional and once planted the bump greened up and once the roots developed, the shriveled white growth eventually plumped out and the specimen has become a healthy if odd shaped addition to my collection.  I was impressed by the professionalism of the grower/shipper.

• Skywatcher and adrian118 like this

#5 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Spooner for that info, gives me hope.

Package is on the way, will report back with any news...

Edited by adrian118, 19 February 2018 - 03:07 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,889 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

Sending good vibes for stealth success..............

• adrian118 likes this

#7 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:20 AM

SUCCESS!

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204-2.jpg

She was a lil spongey so im currently bottom watering it in her new soil.

Im a noob but im trying to do my best, any comments or tips are much welcomed!

Also, my pedros are starting to look like they are wanting to grow, new growth (lighter green than the rest) at the top,... Im in southern California and spring is hardly a thing here. Wondering if its time to start giving them water as they haven't had any in a few months.

Thank you all for the good wishes!

Edited by adrian118, 03 March 2018 - 01:38 AM.

• coorsmikey and Skywatcher like this

#8 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:32 AM

Very glad they arrived safe and sound, looking good, how old?

Until they have bedded in and established a root structure in their new abode,

I would not water them more than once every week or two.

Cactus are more often damaged from too much attention rather than too little.

Always happy to see a new member of the gene pool extending survival into the future.

Are these indoor plants or protected and given supplemental photons?

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,889 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

I too am in So. Cal. Up until This week, I was wondering if we would get winter at all...........................................

Looks really good and was obviously packed really well for travel. I have found temperature to be far more critical in determining water needs. My cactus are all outside, and the pedro, torch, and bridgesii sit up under the eaves in the winter to keep them dryer. I barely water those until it gets warm at night.

The Lophs and assorted rarities I keep in a small greenhouse in winter. This is also mostly for water control, and a temperature boost. If we are having a stretch of 80 ish days that will last a week or more, I might give the lophs a real light watering if they are getting rubbery in winter. This usually firms them right up in a day. If they are solid, no water. They do much better kept dryer in cold temps, but still get plenty of sunlight. The Trichs get a good full day, with a bit of mid day shade. The Lophs get full morning sun, and broken light the rest of the day. In summer when it is hot, mine will drink weekly, and even a bit more when the drying santa anas blow.

• Spooner and adrian118 like this

#10 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

The Loph is said to be 7 or 8 years old, mature and to able flower. Not sure the age of my Pedros but they are about 14" tall.

They all live inside and have been placed in or near a window for sun. I have only had the Pedros for about a month and was planning on setting them out on my porch where they will get full sun half the day. The will be kept in the porch window Loph as I wouldn't want someone to walk away with it!

I've also got some bridgessi seed for which I'm still researching on but almost ready to sow.

Very fun and exciting stuff!

• Spooner likes this

#11 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

Growing from seed is a pretty straight forward task.

Just sprinkle the seed on your soil mix without covering them up.

As you know the seeds are tiny, so the first sprouts are also very small.

They are not big enough to store a useful amount of water, so  hydration is a major concern.

Bagging the whole pot, keeps the moisture level up while reducing the risk of root rot from a soggy environment.

I have had good luck with a mix that includes sand but course, not too fine,

playground size sand particles is perfect, it allows water to drain through easily.

To this add the traditional ground shells, egg/oyster/muscle/clam or any suitable shells ground to the same or courser grain size,

as well as some courser bird gravel, course pearlite, and some loam.

Recently have been adding worm casings, which Lophs seem to like.

I still avoid peat as it holds water without wetting easily when dry.

Any good draining soil should be adequate.

Since the sprouts are so small, I keep them indoors in clear plastic bags for the first 3-6 months.

After 6 months they are more robust and can handle lower humidity.

Basically once the tufts appear I consider them adolescents, and they are large enough to transplant, as needed.

A 7-8 year old plant is great, and old enough to flower if you help spread the pollen with a feather or Q-tip.

Flowering for me takes 4-5 years, but others may have tricks to get them to adulthood faster.

Mine respond well to 16 hours light with nap time of 8 hours.

My 105 watt 6500K CFL's, with some 425nm LED's, as well as some red and orange LED's are adequate.

But in summer I treat them to real sunlight, once they have been carefully hardened off over about a week.

As Sky said, giving them partial shade during the hottest noon sun, is a good practice. 

Best of luck with your new friends, and seedlings as you sprout your own babies.

#12 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Spooner for that info!

I was going to try to sprout these in a window but now Im curious about an indoor lighting set-up. Id love to see some pics, is there a thread on here I where I can check out some peoples set ups?

Edited by adrian118, 03 March 2018 - 05:34 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#13 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

105w CFL 12 inches away,
14w blue led 24 inches away,
plants prefer the blue led
LED VS CFL annotated

This was a setup I used to good advantage.
Go ahead and sprout a few.  Just keep them warm and bagged till spring.

P.S. Pix is from before I learned to plastic wrap for humidity.
I was misting every day and watering twice a week.
Lophs are the group marked Spain.
Named after a former member SpanishFly, who first introduced me to Lophs.

Edited by Spooner, 03 March 2018 - 05:56 PM.

• Skywatcher, adrian118 and Somniferos like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!