Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Shadowbox - A Low Maintenance Universal Fruiting Chamber Tek + Easy Ps. Mexicana Grow Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

I haven't had any more or fewer problems with contamination, but I have seen greatly improved yields after adjusting the fan. After the spawn run the substrates are very resistant to contamination, and the air in the chamber is full of bacteria and fungal spores no matter which way the fan is situated. You're all good :)

Even during the spawn run, if you pasteurize well, there is very little chance of contamination, unless of course you introduce the contam with the spawn already germinated and healthy...  I often harvest bare handed and have seen no increase in contamination... I often toss them well before contamination is a concern... I rarely see a contam in my three flushes.

This is a very cool box by the way... Similar and in some ways superior to the ones I was constructing 8-9 years ago...

Edited by PJammer24, 30 October 2019 - 11:11 AM.

• Fishski likes this

#22 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

Great, thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated!

I'm wondering what you use in your 50/50+ casing though? Verm and coir or verm and peat moss?

No problem :)

I use vermiculite and peat moss, or 10 : 1 : 0.5 mix of Peat moss : calcium carbonate : clean sand (ratios are by volume)

Edited by DonShadow, 30 October 2019 - 05:14 PM.

• deepblueseawhale likes this

#23 deepblueseawhale

deepblueseawhale

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:35 AM

Thank you! :)

#24 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

Isn't the "shadowbox" moniker already taken? OR... Is it fair game due to the "original" Shadowbox having no relation to mycology... or does the spelling make this fair game...??? Shadowbox rather than Shadow Box... I think we need to get to the bottom of this...

• crazy1 likes this

#25 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

I used the name “Shadowbox” as a poetic reference to military shadowboxes, which serve as a symbolic reminder that the suffering we experienced while “at war” stays with with us long after the battle is over. Unless we have a relationship with our past suffering and commune with the shadow in a conscious and honest way, we are bound to unconsciously bring our hurt onto the “shore” of our relationships. By keeping the darkness within the alchemical container of the “shadowbox”, we can have a relationship with our personal unconscious material without unwittingly projecting it into our relationships with our loved ones. We still need to let it out, but by facing the shadow head-on we gain the ability to release it in a way that is constructive, rather than destructive. For example, instead of hiding our “war stories” for fear of reliving the experience, we can share them with others, so that they might offer us consolation and gain greater appreciation for the peace they enjoy. Exchanging honest stories and communicating our real emotions to our friends and family is a very positive indicator of good health. It’s hard to accept love when we have been conditioned to believe we don’t deserve it. Separating ourselves from one another and brooding over our miseries for fear of being hurt or causing hurt, that is paranoia, which comes from the Greek “para-nous” meaning “wandering mind”.
  • crazy1, deepblueseawhale, Moonless and 3 others like this

#26 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

I had considered shadow box displays but had not given much thought to their being used to respect veterans, though as I think about it,  that is certainly true... Cool beans!

#27 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:35 PM

Hello all,

I have another solution for keeping the fruiting chamber free from bacteria. I happen to use this because I use it in my Jacuzzi anyway. It is very stable and has a shelf life of years as long as it is kept dry. Chlorine granules like the one I posted below are an excellent anti-bacterial, extremely consistent dosage and better to handle than liquid bleach. One tablespoon will treat 500 gallons of water. That means literally 2 or 3 granules will treat several gallons of water! I also use it to sanitize all of my growing containers when preparing for a new grow. Drop one granule into a spray bottle of warm water and you are good to go!

https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• SporeyMF and ChocolateStarfish like this

#28 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:40 PM

Any reason I wouldn't add a couple tablespoons of salt to this setup like a static brown rice cake setup?  

20200307_211917.jpg 20200307_213142.jpg

#29 SporeyMF

SporeyMF

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:06 PM

Hello all,

I have another solution for keeping the fruiting chamber free from bacteria. I happen to use this because I use it in my Jacuzzi anyway. It is very stable and has a shelf life of years as long as it is kept dry. Chlorine granules like the one I posted below are an excellent anti-bacterial, extremely consistent dosage and better to handle than liquid bleach. One tablespoon will treat 500 gallons of water. That means literally 2 or 3 granules will treat several gallons of water! I also use it to sanitize all of my growing containers when preparing for a new grow. Drop one granule into a spray bottle of warm water and you are good to go!

https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Nice! I will check this out
  • Jinroh likes this

#30 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:18 AM

Nice! I will check this out

Be sure to keep it away from little hands if you have children. It is very serious stuff.

• SporeyMF likes this

#31 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:20 AM

Any reason I wouldn't add a couple tablespoons of salt to this setup like a static brown rice cake setup?  

&&0){for(var>)throw>

I think DonShadow goes over this around the middle of page 1 of this topic under the section on "A note about Legionnaires' disease"

#32 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

Yep, thank you, read the Legionnaires heads up. 

I should have been more clear...hoping to validate if adding salt to this setup is as beneficial in this setup as with a standard monotub.  

#33 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

I should have been more clear...hoping to validate if adding salt to this setup is as beneficial in this setup as with a standard monotub.  

I see. I have no idea about that since I have never used salt in that fashion. What does salt do for a standard monotub? A more gentle antibacterial?

Edited by Jinroh, 08 March 2020 - 12:33 PM.

#34 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

Just a quick heads up... I thought I posted this here before, but I’ll mention it again; the chamber works much better if the fan is placed in the center of the lid. If it’s placed at the back it tends to result in uneven evaporation from the casings. Putting in in the middle of the lid solves this issue. And the fan should evacuate air, not blow it in.
  • Samwise, Moonless, Shroomn and 1 other like this

#35 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 04:01 PM

Just a quick heads up... I thought I posted this here before, but I’ll mention it again; the chamber works much better if the fan is placed in the center of the lid. If it’s placed at the back it tends to result in uneven evaporation from the casings. Putting in in the middle of the lid solves this issue. And the fan should evacuate air, not blow it in.

I think the confusion with the fruiting chamber fan location is due to that design change appears under the "Useful Links" on page 86 of Don's Graintek1.1(optimized) document entitled "Ps. Semperviva: Two substrates compared". Unless you read ahead to the substrate page you will not see the design change. I am not picking... just trying to assist.

https://mycotopia.ne...two +substrates

Edited by Jinroh, 08 March 2020 - 04:02 PM.

• DonShadow likes this

#36 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

Thank you for the clarification / update.  I'm building more, so this is very helpful.  btw, I've got humidity over 90% in there, and a digital timer so literally followed your recommended air evacuation times to the minute. 

#37 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

I see. I have no idea about that since I have never used salt in that fashion. What does salt do for a standard monotub? A more gentle antibacterial?

Thanks to the brilliant Mr. Sidestreet for Magic for the Masses - "Pour about four inches of perlite into the bottom of your storage tub and add water along with several tablespoons of salt. The salt will inhibit the growth of microorganisms."  - Step 21, page 25.  I have not researched in more detail in this case, simply following the guidance of those who have done it and know what works.

Four rounds in my tub, manual fae, and not a single contam.  Although I am going to clean it out and refresh now after 4 rounds.

#38 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Jinroh. I’ll get in touch with an admin about editing the TEK itself.

The suggested fanning schedule is just a rough estimate. You’ll have to adjust the timing to suit your climate, ambient temperature/humidity and the species you are trying to fruit. Automation is not an alternative to learning how to fruit mushrooms. The purpose of fanning is to encourage evaporation from casings and thus primordia formation. Once your pins have arrived it may be beneficial to dial back the fanning so your humidity stays high and pins don’t dry out. There’s a learning curve, but once you get the feel for it this machine can make a lot of mushrooms with very minimal hassle.
  • Jinroh likes this

#39 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

*double post*

Edited by DonShadow, 08 March 2020 - 07:08 PM.

#40 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

Thanks to the brilliant Mr. Sidestreet for Magic for the Masses - "Pour about four inches of perlite into the bottom of your storage tub and add water along with several tablespoons of salt. The salt will inhibit the growth of microorganisms."  - Step 21, page 25.  I have not researched in more detail in this case, simply following the guidance of those who have done it and know what works.

Four rounds in my tub, manual fae, and not a single contam.  Although I am going to clean it out and refresh now after 4 rounds.

I am sure a teaspoon or less of bleach in the water would do the same thing as salt. Bleach is much more potent than people realize. I guess salt is mother nature's gentle natural way and bleach is the manmade nuke everything way.
If there was a chance that my grow could come into contact with the perlite (BRF TEK) I would prefer salt. If the grow is in a container resting on perlite like Don's method I would prefer bleach. But that is just my preference since I have plenty of it in granule form.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!