Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Shadowbox - A Low Maintenance Universal Fruiting Chamber Tek + Easy Ps. Mexicana Grow Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

Even without any bleach or salt, the perlite takes a looong time to contaminate. Even in the summer I’ve neglected to clean the chamber for months and didn’t notice any foul smell or obvious signs of contamination. Adding a pinch of something is a wise precaution though IMO, there’s nothing to lose aside from potentially weakening the plastic, airstones, tubing etc.
  • Samwise, Shroomn, Jinroh and 1 other like this

#42 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, Don.  Great to hear a real world example of how long one can go without contam (understanding there are no guarantees because of the many variables).

#43 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

Even without any bleach or salt, the perlite takes a looong time to contaminate. Even in the summer I’ve neglected to clean the chamber for months and didn’t notice any foul smell or obvious signs of contamination. Adding a pinch of something is a wise precaution though IMO, there’s nothing to lose aside from potentially weakening the plastic, airstones, tubing etc.

Agreed! I have only used perlite a few times so far and I never saw any contamination or noticed odors. Litterally a few drops of bleach into that amount of water is all that is needed (2 granules in my case). In higher concentrations chlorine will destroy plastic so I learned a little goes a very long way.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 March 2020 - 09:25 PM.

#44 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:39 PM

Here are my versions of the DonShadows Shadowbox design. As you can see I have one tub that has an opaque lid so I mounted the light inside.
I went with larger diameter 12v fans for extra power because I decided to put filter tape on the GE holes (I have horrible contamination issues once I started fruiting my colonized subs in the past). This may be overkill and I might have to remove the tape. The fans are still working really hard to pull air up through all that tape even though there are a lot of holes. I also put flaps on the fan outlets that close when not in use for additional contamination protection.
Both boxes run synchronized through a dual-channel digital timer. In these photos, only the box on the right is occupied.
I plan to keep a close eye on the casing moisture over the next few days to see if I need to remove the filter tape to increase evaporation speed. The unoccupied box should be occupied in about a week.

IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1076.jpg

#45 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:24 PM

I ended up having to remove all of the micropore tape from the GE holes. The fans could not move enough air to allow evaporation and the casings were getting too wet and staying that way. Fingers crossed I get lucky and avoid contamination.

#46 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:56 AM

Instead of micropore you can put some grease filter that is used for kitchen hoods. You can even iron two sheets of filter and they will stick together, that way it filters better but less air goes through

• Jinroh likes this

#47 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:37 PM

There’s no need whatsoever for any filters on your fruiting chamber. If your grain spawn is clean and your bulk substrate well-colonized, it is highly resistant to contamination. If anything, reducing airflow will greatly increase the likelihood of a contamination.

#48 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:55 PM

There’s no need whatsoever for any filters on your fruiting chamber. If your grain spawn is clean and your bulk substrate well-colonized, it is highly resistant to contamination. If anything, reducing airflow will greatly increase the likelihood of a contamination.

As I posted earlier, I removed all filtering due to reduced airflow. I think the tape was on for just 4 days, just long enough to know that evaporation was not good enough. I have such a contaminated environment that I started out this project filtering the air. My environment will be a hard test for this Semperviva.
It is day 8 in the fruiting chambers, I guess we will find out if my spawn is clean in a few weeks. Either I will get pins or eventually contamination.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#49 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

So I made shadowbox and i'm testing it with clay pebbles because i don't liek working with perlite.

Im feeling its not optimal like this, and perlit could keep humidity higher, what you guys think?

IMG_20200513_160710.jpg

Strangely i'm getting pins of Galindo only from one tray, they both had the same spawn, same substrate, same casing and environment, huh? It doesnt look contaminated,

any tips to help it pin or  just wait ? Maybe i did a bit too deep substrate about 7cm.

Edited by Rac3k, 13 May 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#50 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:00 PM

So I build shadowbox and i'm testing it with clay pebbles because i don't liek working with perlite.

Im feeling its not optimal like this, and perlit could keep humidity higher, what you guys think?

Strangely i'm getting pins of Galindo only from one tray, they both had the same spawn, same substrate, same casing and environment, huh? It doesnt look contaminated,

any tips to help it pin or  just wait ? Maybe i did a bit too deep substrate about 7cm.

I have worked with both the hydroton pellets and perlite. In my experience perlite holds on to water better. I had to add water to the hydroton much more often.

#51 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

I think one potential benefit of hydroton pellets would be better airflow from the air stones. I don’t know about the wicking factor though... they’re bound to dry out more quickly.

I’m not sure about why your other tray isn’t fruiting... uneven evaporation in different parts of the chamber perhaps? Did you use the same spawn from the same jar?

#52 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

@jinroth: i thought so. I also added water 2 times already and have it higher than the tek suggests.

@Donshadow: yes spawn is from the same jar. I'll give it some water on the sides and wait a few more days, and then probably change to perlite.

I didint even buy airstones, just made 7 small holes in both tubes and closed the end. The holes are spaced 4cm.  when i tested it was bubbling fine :) 

Could airstones have to do something with humidity also?

Another thing is my vent goes on every hour for about 2min. 

Edited by Rac3k, 13 May 2020 - 12:48 PM.

#53 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

@jinroth: i thought so. I also added water 2 times already and have it higher than the tek suggests.

Another problem with hydroton is that it is more boyant than perlite. Perlite will get slushy as well but it is easier to have a tray sink into hydroton which could flood your trays. It happened to me more than once. It will happen with Perlite as well if you are not careful but there is less of a risk with Perlite.
I think air-stones are important with this TEK. You need atomized water to create the constant high humidity and a few holes poked into the line is not enough.

Edited by Jinroh, 13 May 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#54 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

DonShadow you were right about uneven evaporation,..the air was coming alot more on the right side where the pining tray is

i did some changes today with 2 airstones, will see how it goes

meanwhile I destroyed some mushrooms,.. i left the tray in low humidity for 10-15 min. and some pins just colapsed,..lesson learned

#55 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

I think the placement of the fan over the hole may have some effect there (should be perfectly centred) and also to what degree the bottom holes are obstructed by perlite. I try to make sure my holes aren’t plugged, but that they are under the perlite by half an inch or so.

Edited by DonShadow, 14 May 2020 - 01:15 PM.

• Samwise likes this

#56 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 920 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:05 PM

If you need filtered air....

A trick I improvised from Jake's JOC tek is to take the Honeywell vacuum hepa filter they sell at Home Depot for about $15, I built a box out of a currogated yard sign (waterproof) and metal HVAC tape. I installed a squirrel cage style computer fan in it blowing directly down a length of cheap hose. Because of the size of the filter in relation to the amount of air being moved through the hose there is no real drag on the fan. In my case the hose goes to a 5 gallon bucket with a pond fogger in it and another hose leading into the FC. By using cheap interval timers on each as well as a humidity controller for override shutoff I can add as much or as little hydration and fresh air as I want. You can adapt that however you want but if you really have a need for filtered air (my fruiting chamber is in a dirty outbuilding near livestock) the filter/box/fan setup is about $25 and takes about 30 minutes to an hour to make with a carpet cutter and either caulk or a hot glue gun to mount the fan and the filter. I have an exit vent stuffed with wadded tyvek. Flaps or polyfill would work fine I’m sure.

Attached Thumbnails

• E4C4ADF4-05E5-4EC1-983F-A42C84E1BE48.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 18 May 2020 - 10:06 PM.

• clumsy likes this

#57 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

Just updating that my second tray started pining,. so the airstone replacement worked out, also i think its a little higher humidity now

Are mexicana sensitive to misting? some of the mushrooms turned black and rotted and I think its because of that

air output 3800 c.c./min, is this pump good enought?

#58 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

I’m pretty sure Psilocybe galindoi are synonymous with Psilocybe tampanensis. I seem to recall Alan Rockefeller saying that on FB recently, but don’t quote me on that. Or maybe it was that the strain in circulation is actually tampanensis mislabeled as galindoi. In any case, tampanensis likes a slightly drier environment than mexicana. High humidity is good, but maybe just mist them a little less.
  • Samwise and Rac3k like this

#59 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

A quick goggle for "alan rockefeller galindoi tampenensis" gets a thread at the other place where Alan R had posted in 2017 "... tampanensis and mexicana are two separate species. Atlantis is really tampanensis. Galindoi is really mexicana but what is going around the underground as galindoi is tampanensis"

I'm more confused now I found that I think :)
  • DonShadow likes this

#60 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

A quick goggle for "alan rockefeller galindoi tampenensis" gets a thread at the other place where Alan R had posted in 2017 "... tampanensis and mexicana are two separate species. Atlantis is really tampanensis. Galindoi is really mexicana but what is going around the underground as galindoi is tampanensis"

I'm more confused now I found that I think :)

Nice, thanks for digging that up. That sounds like the post I was referencing.

• Cuboid likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!