Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Shadowbox - A Low Maintenance Universal Fruiting Chamber Tek + Easy Ps. Mexicana Grow Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Great, thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated!

I'm wondering what you use in your 50/50+ casing though? Verm and coir or verm and peat moss?

No problem :)

I use vermiculite and peat moss, or 10 : 1 : 0.5 mix of Peat moss : calcium carbonate : clean sand (ratios are by volume)

You may want to play with an oyster shell or similar addition to your casing mix. The peat can be pretty acidic and you might find better results lowering and buffering the casing PH with some type of calcium additive...

#62 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

Great, thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated!

I'm wondering what you use in your 50/50+ casing though? Verm and coir or verm and peat moss?

No problem :)

I use vermiculite and peat moss, or 10 : 1 : 0.5 mix of Peat moss : calcium carbonate : clean sand (ratios are by volume)

You may want to play with an oyster shell or similar addition to your casing mix. The peat can be pretty acidic and you might find better results lowering and buffering the casing PH with some type of calcium additive...

I was thinking the same thing at first. I checked PH before and after adding the calcium carbonate and after that was added the PH fell right in line.
That being said, I am on day 39 with no activity with my Semperviva trays except two small fruits. However no contamination either. I am going to run these tubs until something happens one way or another. The moisture level is good, airflow and evaporation seem to be good. I think I am dealing with stubbornness.

Edited by Jinroh, 29 May 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#63 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

Even without any bleach or salt, the perlite takes a looong time to contaminate. Even in the summer I’ve neglected to clean the chamber for months and didn’t notice any foul smell or obvious signs of contamination. Adding a pinch of something is a wise precaution though IMO, there’s nothing to lose aside from potentially weakening the plastic, airstones, tubing etc.

What i do, is i use a mixture of 40% hydrogen peroxide and 60% distilled water for the water I have under the perlite with my bubble-stones running in them. I think it works really well, and even if it ever happens to splash into my substrate, its not like the hydrogen peroxide will hurt my mycelium. And from then on, about every 3 days, i take out my trays, and squirt more hydrogen peroxide in there on the top of the perlite and on the walls and ceiling, to make up for any drying out, and to make sure everything stays good and semi sanitized... adding a little salt to the water may be a good idea as well, i just use hydrogen peroxide for EVERYTHING, and i think i have a pretty decent sterile tech.. Just my 2 cents.. 

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 01 June 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#64 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:16 AM

I have been wondering about the purpose of having the perlite level above the FAE inlet holes in this design. Does keeping the level of perlite above the FAE inlet holes ensure that the incoming air pulls as much moisture from the perlite as possible or is there another reason?

#65 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 920 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:50 PM

Co2 is heavier so maybe it’s to help co2 passively escape?

#66 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:38 AM

Co2 is heavier so maybe it’s to help co2 passively escape?

That seems like just as good of a reason as anything else.

#67 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

Both. The humidity stays consistently high when the perlite is above the holes, dries out too quickly otherwise. Fresh air is drawn through the fan hole and CO2 can escape through the bottom holes.

Edited by DonShadow, 22 June 2020 - 01:25 PM.

• Samwise, Jrotten and Jinroh like this

#68 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

Both. The humidity stays consistently high when the perlite is above the holes, dries out too quickly otherwise. Fresh air is drawn through the fan hole and CO2 can escape through the bottom holes.

That makes sense.

#69 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

This fruiting chamber is open to criticism and improvement... it was my best attempt as a novice cultivator at creating a low-maintenance chamber that will work for practically any species of mushroom. It isn’t a substitute for learning proper growing techniques like stimulating pins, misting, fanning etc. Any modifications and criticisms are welcome and appreciated. I’ve had decent results with this tek but I have no doubt it could be greatly improved.

Edited by DonShadow, 23 June 2020 - 12:58 AM.

• Samwise and Jinroh like this

#70 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

I can't criticize your design. I used it for the first time with a species I have never fruited. So I have two unknowns at the same time. Probably not the best way to go about it but my effort was not without success. I did get fruits. Not sufficient for prints, but I know it works. I plan to try a species I am more familiar with in this box system to see how well it does. I will be fruiting more than one species in these boxes at the same time once the spawn is ready. Things should get interesting!

#71 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:00 PM

I need a small fc like this for summer time when I have to grow inside.  But this particular gasket box style tote is out of stock EVERYWHERE and it's either going to have to be 80qt which is too big, or I'll have to make something else work.  I'm thinking of one of the black husky style totes with weatherstripping on the lip. Sterlites I've had bad experience with before, but I think the Husky provides the face to do it.  I also think it could be made a little more stealthy this way.  

Anybody had good success going this route.  I've got literally everything else sitting here.

#72 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:21 PM

I have two of these chambers. One is made with the gasketed Sterlite and the other is a regular tote with no gasket. While I have had poor results fruiting Semperviva in general (on my second attempt now) I have had other strains fruit just fine in both tubs.

• Jrotten likes this

#73 Goombas69

Goombas69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:13 PM

Shadowbox

I love this design. Hopefully it will be very fruitful. 

I added 2 one way check valves and applied Vaseline to the outer connections to allow for easy removal without spillage. They can be placed below the water line without issues. The 1/4" hole is perfect for the valve plus the hose, it just snaps in tight.

I had the 12" bubble stones already from a PMP design so I rotated one 180 degrees to reverse the bubble pattern for a more even air distribution.

I used a stainless steel cookie rack because my old Perlite was like quicksand and things would sink down to the bubble stones, but when you buy the bigger bag of Perlite the grains tend to be bigger so you don't get the quicksand effect. I think the extra volume of Perlite helps too. The rack really isn't needed anymore.

So far I've failed with Pan Cyans using Waylit's Pan Cyan Tek. Colonization was fine but once I opened the jar nothing would grow. I did agar work (8 transfers) without using poo so hopefully that's not the problem, I hear you can select mycelium for non-fruiters.

Currently my P.C. Jamaicans are looking good with rebounding mycelium after casing and hopefully my P.C. Hawaiians will follow suite.

I struggle with knowing how much to mist the casing. I have one of those fine mist bottles that is hard to see what is coming out. It's easier with mycelium because you can see water glistening on top. Casing just swallows water up and frankly I can't see the difference between the dryer casing and wet. I'm just trying to underwater now. I know when a pin shows up I need to stop misting the substrate altogether with P.C.

My hygrometer says my box is at 99% if it can be trusted. It seems to be accurate from what I can tell. Is that too much humidity for Pan Cyans? Seems like opinions vary on that.

Thanks for the great FC design!

• Samwise, DonShadow, ItBeBasidia and 2 others like this

#74 Goombas69

Goombas69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:50 PM

Pan Cyan Jamaican pins

Fifth time's a charm! Tried other methods but The Shadowbox gave me my first Pan Cyan success... knock on wood. 

These are Jamaican me happy! Wow, they progress quickly once they start pinning.

I have some P.C. Hawaiians that haven't progress since casing so we'll see how those go. I might have to start over with those.

• Samwise, Jrotten, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#75 Goombas69

Goombas69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!
Pan Cyan Jamaican flush 1
Pan Cyan Jamaican Close-up flush 1
Pan Cyan Jamaican flush 1 weight

I think going from jars to dubtub helped, but I love this Shadowbox! I tend to over-do stuff so it helped me leave things be more.

Oh! Fifth time was a charm! Now I should have a good clone and some prints from this.

Next will be to do the same with my...

Tropicalis, Goliath, Hawaiian, and Psilocybe Mexicana!

• Samwise, DonShadow, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#76 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 638 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:49 PM

Congrats Goombas69, those Jamaicans look Irie I!
  • coorsmikey likes this

#77 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:43 PM

Can a tub like this work for semperviva? Or would there be too much FAE I believe I heard they don’t like a lot of air.
77198C3E-6C62-434E-88EC-DE990DBA9F57.jpeg 139FB244-8D18-4F34-93DD-F8A92167EE9F.jpeg
DE954137-0DBA-4698-B183-4DBD4AF63146.jpeg 720F9E3B-6F50-42A0-BE15-62840578EA7A.jpeg
83803D83-C091-4381-87BE-F91EEB3F3C35.jpeg 8857F267-A878-4A03-B5D7-3B4E67A4AA10.jpeg
So currently I’m running three of these tubs which are mainly designed for pans. Based a lot on the JOC pan tek. The fogger runs 3 mins then the fan kicks on 2 mins and drags dry air in to create evap. I’ve now added perlite in the bottom for the trays to sit on. I’m thinking about taking one or two and converting them toward this tek for mexicana which don’t need as much FAE. All I would have to do is add the air stones which I have and reduce the fan cycle to just 4 times per day but I’m thinking about keeping the fogger on it because the way it is now I don’t have to mist at all. I just put the trays in and let it run. So I’m thinking if I keep the fogger but reduce to maybe a heavy 3-5 mins maybe 30 mins before the fan cycle then I’ll still have that good evap and not have to mist at all. It’s something I’ve been thinking about. I just ran mexicana in it and that worked well but not great or anything. The caps were very small and short
2D2B4259-FC5A-4379-8502-7617BD3CBC4A.jpeg I don’t know why it’s upside down it does that when I uploaded it but I believe the fruits were so small because I didn’t change the fan cycle after it started fruiting and the fan runs like 1 min 6 times per hour which is great for pans but not so much for mexicana which I’m going to be running a lot of coming up.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#78 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

Also what’s cool is that where I have my filters right now is right at the perlite level so when the fan kicks on it will still accomplish the same thing in bringing in the dry air right across the surface of the perlite and cause evap

#79 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:41 PM

There's no such thing as too much FAE for mushrooms. All species thrive at atmospheric conditions. There are  species which will tolerate less FAE but hat doesn't mean it's better for them. Unless you want to deliberately manipulate and inhibit full development of a species to attain a certain appearance through oxygen deprivation such as is the case for tall, small capped Enoki mushrooms then less FAE doesn't really offer any advantage aside from perhaps delayed pinning if staging grows. Wild examples of most any species grow larger and healthier in nature than their indoor counterparts where FAE is greatest. No reason why your FC shouldn't do great for P.semperviva provided you can keep the humidity up along with the FAE.

#80 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

I might have worded that wrong I was meaning that mexicana might not need the air cycled as much as pans and that I might be mistaken but I thought I had read that semperviva didn’t like a lot of air exchange but that may have been another species I’m thinking of like hispanica.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!